Santa Barbara tip

650flyguy

Reaction score
I am heading south to Santa Barbara and plan to spend some time fishing the surf. Any tips for the area would be appreciated.

thanks

Hombre06

Reaction score
Watch out for the seals down there. Had one try to jump on my surf board when I was trying to catch a wave. Scared the BEJEESUS out of me. Was never comfortable in the water gain.

Hombre06

Reaction score
I googled Santa Barbara Fly Fishing and got these guys.

Santa Barbara Flyfishers Links

If anything just head out and recon the area. There are lagoons between Santa Barbara and Ventura so I'd poke around there. Good luck, take pictures, submit your final report here. SF

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

More info. This guy looks like he knows something.
Gary Bulla Saltwater Fly Fishing - Surf Fishing

Sorry about all the spam. I have family that lives in that area and your request for tips got me looking. I'll be interested in how your trip goes. Thanks

Last edited:

motodave

Reaction score
Most of the beaches along Hwy 101 between Ventura (where I live) and Santa Barbara are fishable. I've heard good things about the area around the oil pier (looks like a fake island off shore), I'm planning to head up there sometime soon myself. I don't know the SB area as well as down here in Ventura, I mainly fish from the ventura harbor down towards Port Hueneme. The ventura harbor beaches have suepr easy access and will not be crowded.

Check the tide tables, and be aware that these are some of the most popular surfing beaches in the area, so it may take a little doing to find a stretch to fish.

von behr

Reaction score
Anywhere between Ventura and Santa Barbara has great surf fishing. The corbina are out in numbers right now, and the surf perch have been plentiful and huge. Use anything that resembles a sand crab, and they will grab your fly.

There have also been lots of leopard sharks cruising the beaches as well. I would recommend at least an 8 wt. in case you hook into one of the sharks. The leopards usually like red flies.

Early mornings are best, and try to hit an incoming tide. You'll miss the crowds of beachgoers at that time and the conditions will be best early in the morning.

PM me if you want any specifics on sweet spots in the area.

Cheers,

-VB :):)

von behr

Reaction score
If you wish to hire a guide, Gary Bulla is well known and will put you on fish. You could also give Lee Baermann a call. He's out there all the time, and is an excellent local guide who specializes in the surf.

I see him all the time in Carpinteria, which is between Ventura and Santa Barbara.

Here's his website: Fly Fish The Surf Home

I'm not a guide, but I fish out there fairly often. If you want to meet up for some fishing, send me a PM.

-VB :)

650flyguy

Reaction score
Appreciate the assistance.
I had a great time fishing yesterday morning around Carpinteria.
Saw a number of corbina in the shallows and cruising the drop.
I also spotted a few leopards.

I had some luck with the perch on small sand crab patters and had a couple hook ups with other species on coyote clousers.

I hope to sneak out today for another session.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

I'm not a guide, but I fish out there fairly often. If you want to meet up for some fishing, send me a PM.

Thanks Von! Sorry I don't have more time in the area.
I will take you up on your offer next time I am in the area

von behr

Reaction score
Appreciate the assistance.
I had a great time fishing yesterday morning around Carpinteria.
Saw a number of corbina in the shallows and cruising the drop.
I also spotted a few leopards.

I had some luck with the perch on small sand crab patters and had a couple hook ups with other species on coyote clousers.

I hope to sneak out today for another session.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Thanks Von! Sorry I don't have more time in the area.
I will take you up on your offer next time I am in the area
Glad to hear you made it out there this weekend. I was just in Carpinteria this morning, and the guitarfish were thick. I caught a few guitars and a couple of perch. I didn't see any corbina or leopards, but I'm sure they were out there.

Between Carpinteria and Mussel Shoals, it was a good outing. Next time you're down this way, give me a shout.

650flyguy

Reaction score
Glad to hear you made it out there this weekend. I was just in Carpinteria this morning, and the guitarfish were thick. I caught a few guitars and a couple of perch. I didn't see any corbina or leopards, but I'm sure they were out there.

Between Carpinteria and Mussel Shoals, it was a good outing. Next time you're down this way, give me a shout.

I was in the area around 11. I must have just missed you. Thanks again next time I am in the area I will give you a shout.

von behr

Reaction score

I was done by 0945 just after high tide and headed home. The early bite was good, but it looks like you still found some perch. Well done.

Next time you're in the area, give me a shout.