Reaction score
So last week, I took a trip.

I hung out at this place.

I was able to take some boat rides.

I motored around a lagoon.

Walked a few flats.

I used this rod and reel.

I used these flies.

And I caught lots of fish like this one. Dudes like this guy helped me spot fish.

Dennis

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Nice Dennis,

One of these winters I'm going to go get some sun myself.

Nice
I probably chose the worst week in terms of weather. We had high winds and mostly cloudy skies. Due to the lack of light, my guides were making cast calls at 30 feet and in. Many of my casts were roll casts.

Did you try for trevally or just bones?
I caught some smaller GTs, Bluefins, and Goldens. I had a two shots at huge GTs and blew all of them. One time I had my slack line tangle itself on a cast. Another time, I had one follow my fly all the way to a point that I had a foot of leader into my guides.

I caught this Wahoo outside of the lagoon. I caught it by trolling a tuna feathers lure with my spin rig.

It tasted great.

Dennis

Last edited:

fq13

Reaction score
That is very good. Here (in South Florida) you occasionally get wahoo trolling for sails or mahi, but mostly they lie deep, and to get serious about them guys use lead lines and heavy rods. So they aren't much of a light tackle fish. Getting one on a spinning rod would make the trip worth while for me. My whole life I've fished the salt here and hooked exactly one. It was on a head boat when I was maybe thirteen and I got about two bounds out of it before it was gone. That was thirty years ago. I'd love to catch another.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
During the week, about eight or nine Wahoo and one Pacific Sailfish were landed between the 11 fishermen in the group.

We also cast monster sized Yozuris and Zara Spooks for GTs at areas that were not conducive to fly fishing. No luck.

Dennis

Last edited:

wjc

Reaction score
Thanks, Dennis. I hope one day to get there. I'll bet those wahoo warmed up your rod guides and got the line to singing in tenor.

As fq13 said, they sometimes show up when when catching blackfins or dolphin down here, but don't hang around for long. One of these days, I'm going to be ready for them.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
That Wahoo warmed my guides up and made my reel sing. I had the tuna feathers about 40 yards behind the boat. That fish probably took 100 or more yards of line out. For about 15 minutes, it was a constant battle of line coming in, and line going out.

You should make the trip someday. As hard as the fishing was, it was still wonderful.

Last edited:

fq13

Reaction score
That Wahoo warmed my guides up and made my reel sing. I had the tuna feathers about 75 yards behind the boat. That fish probably took 100 or more yards of line out. For about 15 minutes, it was a constant battle of line coming in, and line going out.

You should make the trip someday. As hard as the fishing was, it was still wonderful.
I do hope I can there. But it is a long and expensive flight. It is on the bucket list though. That and Australia.

Last edited:

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
The gateway to Christmas Island is Honolulu International Airport. The Fiji Airlines flight is in the midday on Tuesdays only, so it is recommended to get to Honolulu the Monday before.

Hawaiian Airlines has many nonstop flights into and from the mainland. One of the guys took one from DFW. That's an eight or nine hour flight.

I could only imagine what the logistics and cost will be to get yourself to Honolulu from Florida.

Last edited:

gutterpunk

Reaction score
great location.

That looks like an standard arbor Abel Super 7n, what rod is that guy fishing? I see you like a Hardy Proaxis.

wjc

Reaction score
I'd love to go there Dennis and try for GT's and yellowfins. But I just don't think it's in the cards. I like to see the pictures and watch videos from there though, and am happy for those who can make the trip.

Sorry to hear you had the wind. Wind and overcast can make for some very tough flats fishing, and wind, of course can completely eliminate offshore fishing. Right now the wind is howling outside and the near-shore edge of the gulfstream is right on the reef edge out front, a 15 minute run from here. I love it when that happens and it's calm.

siege

Reaction score
I can't thank you enough for posting the images and the report. I've often wondered what heaven would look like, and I believe I know now. Great post :)