Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Trip

I got the chance to take another trip to Rocky Point with my buddy Rick and had a great time.

The first two days were really tough fishing. With 25mph winds we were stuck walking the beach inside the estuary or floating a less than optimal location. The last 3 days were much better. We caught lots of Cabria (saltwater bluegills) but I also caught two species that were new for me.

The view towards the beach while floating Cholla Bay.

My biggest Trigger and my first new species. This guy really made me work for it and I was very glad for the fighting but on my 8wt BVK.

The Cabria seemed to love Todd's Wiggle Minnow. I tied it on just to change things up after catching bunches of Cabria on a BendBack, but the Cabria didn't care.

Heck it seems the Triggers like the TWM also.

This is the view back towards the beach at the estuary just south of Las Conchas.

A Leather Jack, my second new species. I caught him on a friggen $7 fly (Charlie's Air Head) that I bought on a whim from Desert Sportsman. Those colors worked for me as you will see later.

The Cabria also seemed to like my Kinky Muddlers in the same colors as the Air Head.

And no trip to Rocky Point is complete without a trip to Pollo Lucas. (Yummmmm)

2. Likes cochise, Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Trip

Excellent report. It looks like you had a good time. I didn't know that Triggers had such a wide range of distribution. I thought that they were a South Pacific species.

I found some info on Wiki about Puerto Penasco. It does not look like it is too far from the border, so I am assuming that you drove.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    Excellent report. It looks like you had a good time. I didn't know that Triggers had such a wide range of distribution. I thought that they were a South Pacific species.

I found some info on Wiki about Puerto Penasco. It does not look like it is too far from the border, so I am assuming that you drove.

Dennis
    Yes, I drove.

It is a 4 hour drive from my house.

This is the second time I have taken my friends offer to go. He has a time share there and the security of staying in a secured condo association makes it tolerable.

The first time I went with him (2012) the climate was much different than this time. There were soldiers everywhere. We drove down a road one morning towards an estuary and found ourselves face to face with ten men wearing black masks and holding machine guns. They turned out to be soldiers checking the local fisherman for drug smuggling, but turning a corner to see men holding guns and wearing masks is a bit frightening.

This time it was much more like I remember from when I was a kid. No cops, no soldiers, no stress.

It was a good time.

Oh, and the triggers. I know that in general salt water fish are stronger pound for pound than fresh water fish, but those triggers really put the boots to it.

5. Likes Ard liked this post

That is just great! Are you in a float tube? I assume this is the northern cortez in baja norte? Man that looks dreamy!!!
    Hand crafted wood fly boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    That is just great! Are you in a float tube? I assume this is the northern cortez in baja norte? Man that looks dreamy!!!
    Pontoons.

It really was beautiful weather for this (Other that the wind the first two days) a bit chilly in the morning but the water was warm and we didn't wear waders.

I took the beach shots because it was kinda cool to just float and relax out there.

The first pic was taken right about HERE

The second beach pic was from about HERE

8. Likes jbird liked this post

Awesome, I used to love going there. My friends had a place and it was a fun trip, then like overnight it became a bit nutty. I have not been back since 2005. Fishing was always great with clousers and dahlbergs.

Those fish make excellent Ceviche!! In the lime juice in under 5 minutes, oh yeah, we used to have a ball there.

Great report, makes me want to go back!

Blog Entries

I wish I were there about now All but the part with the guys with the guns that is. Warm blue water, fish, and the food! Great post MB,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

Dennis
    We're lousy with them down here in South Florida. Fun on light tackle and tasty too.