Great Exuma bonefish

lukewl

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I got an email from a friend saying he had some time off from work and was planning on going to the Great Exumas to do some bonefishing. I have never had the pleasure of feeling a bonefish strip away line so I jumped at the opportunity. I flew down to Ft Lauderdale and met up with my buddy. We jumped in a tiny little prop plane and were on our way!

The first day we went out to rolle ville flats on our own. Unfortunately we didnt see a single bonefish, TONS of lemon sharks but no bones. The next two days we had a guide booked (drex, great guide).

First fish of the day was mine! It was my first bone ever. So stoked, and even though it was pretty small, it stripped line like no other fish I have had on a fly. I was instantly in love with the grey ghost.

First day only yeilded 2 bones, both were mine. We had shots at a ton of fish, but I was getting used to the wind and my buddy was having trouble remembering he wasnt catching browns while he set the hook! haha.

Day two we got into a few HUGE schools. Also saw two large sharks hearding a school and some explosive baracuda action. The last fish of the day was mine and he just BARELY got away from a 6 ft lemon (Thanks to drex's quick action). Overall we took 7 fish the second day. Enough banter, heres the photos.

The weapons

Ben and Drex

we saw a flamingo....

Gettin a bend in the rod

massive school!

seajay

Reaction score
Awsome. There is no other place like the Exumas. Gin clear waters.
Great pics. That shrimp fly looks killer. Were did you find it at?

lukewl

Reaction score
its a light pink gotcha, my friend (guy in the goofy hat) tied it for me. I tie freshwater stuff but never salt... I stole a few from him so I can duplicate them for next trip!

seajay

Reaction score
I wish I could tie. Is there anything out there that is even close to it that I could buy? That is the most life like shrimp fly I have ever seen. Or if you could tie some for me that would be awesome.:D It should be a killer Red and Trout fly for around here in N.E. Florida. I mostly use a Deceiver or Clouser. I been looking for a good Spoon fly also.
I am new to fly fishing, but have been fishing the salt creeks here for many years.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Luke: Great trip report and photos, thanks for sharing! The Great Exumas looks like a great place to target bonefish. That hat that Ben was wearing might look a little goofy but it sure looks like the ticket to keep the sun off!

Larry

wjc

Reaction score
Looks like a real good trip Luke. I've never been to any of the islands, and would sure like to go someday. The water looks great and the sand bottom would be be even better.

Thanks for the report and the pics.

Cheers,
Jim

lukewl

Reaction score
seajay, it shouldnt be too hard to find. I know basspro has them and Im sure any well saltwater shop would have some. Just ask for "gotchas". Also, for a red spoon check out the 'bearded clam' or a kingfish spoon, both work great.

This island was one of my favorite places in the world so far!

p175634

Reaction score
Gotcha and Crazy Charlies inverted hook flies are great traditional saltwater bonefish shrimp flies but I find that when fishing in heavily fished areas the bonefish and Permit get spooked easily.

In these cases I use soft landing shrimp flies like the Wiggler or Mini puff
Tan Shrimp Wiggler Saltwater flyfishing Bonefish flies - Wriggler
Pink Shrimp Wiggler Saltwater flyfishing Bonefish flies - Wriggler
The Tan Mini Puff Bonefish Flyfishing Saltwater Fly
The Pink Mini Puff Bonefish Flyfishing Saltwater Fly

Before I go on a Bonefish trip I always go down to the park to practice casting. I do not live near water and yes I know I look like an idiot to other people in the park but it helps me improve my aim. I put out three target rings at different distances and in different directions and practice acurate casting. It really helps me get the fly in fornt of the fish I am after when I am on the water and the guide points to a tailing fish.

Tight Lines
Craig Moore
London England

gretch6364

Reaction score
Would you back to Exuma for a trip? I am trying to plan an October trip to the Caribbean for the anniversary with the wifey, and am trying to decide where. We need good diving, good bonefishing fishing, and a nice all inclusive.

Thanks

duker

Reaction score
Great story, great pics. I went after bonefish for the first time this March on a trip to Belize. I know what you mean about that first one you catch ripping off your line. Fun fishing. I also had good luck with Gotchas--I can see why they call them that.

Gretch6364, I don't know how far you care to go for your trip, but if you're looking for a bonefishing/diving combo I'd recommend Turneffe Flats Lodge in Belize. Amazing fishing, and my wife had a great time snorkelling and diving. Plus which they're close to the Blue Hole if you want to dive there. It's an outstanding lodge with fantastic staff and guides, and you've basically got the entire Turneffe Atoll to yourself.

Scott

gutterpunk

Reaction score
Would you back to Exuma for a trip? I am trying to plan an October trip to the Caribbean for the anniversary with the wifey, and am trying to decide where. We need good diving, good bonefishing fishing, and a nice all inclusive.

Thanks
How much money do you have? If it's a fair bit, I'd check out Tiamo on south Andros. It's a good, small all inclusive, that's a step up from the usual fish camps. But then, you have to go out on your own (and not great flats right there) or hire a guide which is another $500 (or something like that) a day. But great snokeling, sailing, kayaking all included.