Some California central coast surf fishing...

nir

Reaction score
Posted this in the Pacific southwest forum but figured a lot of people probably don't go there.

Thanks to the help here and the great advice received at the California Fly Shop in San Francisco, I was able to fish a little bit during my Honeymoon back in september and I had a LOT of fun learning how to fly fish the surf!! And to my surprise, I even had a little success! I fished a total of 4 hours spread on 4 outings and two spots and I caught a number of three fish totaling three species. Very happy considering it was my first time surffishing and I had no coach!! It was though, the waves were pretty big... But I had a lot of fun!

(you don't need to catch fish to enjoy yourself down there, the scenery and the oceam is more than inspiring!)

California Halibut small one

Walleye surfperch

Barred surfperch

We also saw quite a few beautiful streams that seemed trouty enough, but they were closed to fishing... Trying to reestablish stealheads if I'm not mistaken.

Wee stealhead trout

mikel

Reaction score
Nir, if you were in Big Sur, that area is currently burning (approx 600 acres by now) right near the river. Google "big sur fire" for the news. Wildfires in Dec... Amazing...

TrophyShots

Reaction score
Love it!
That's one of the things I want to do...Fly Fish the SURF!!!
Right on!

And congratulations looks like you had an incredible honeymoon!

Aloha!

Roland

nir

Reaction score
Nir, if you were in Big Sur, that area is currently burning (approx 600 acres by now) right near the river. Google "big sur fire" for the news. Wildfires in Dec... Amazing...
Wow! That's sad!! We were indeed in Big Sur and actually spent some time at Pfeiffer Beach right next to the fire.

Great report and photos ! Are you maybe along the coast in Marin County in that first photo ?

Holy Mackerel !
Kingfish
The first photo was taken in the south of the Big Sur region.

mikel

Reaction score
Wow! That's sad!! We were indeed in Big Sur and actually spent some time at Pfeiffer Beach right next to the fire.
Thought that's where you said you'd be...glad you enjoyed our coast. Thanks for reporting...mike

hotfish

Reaction score
When its so cold here I like to look at you guys in jackets and giggle and then I cry about not haveing that view !

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Great pictures!

Always good to know that the forum was helpful to people, please keep up with us so we can follow your fishing development.

Ard

von behr

Reaction score
Nir, I'm glad to see you hit the surf and stuck some fish. It's a ton of fun, even in rough, combat fishing conditions. That's impressive that you caught multiple species.

By the way, congratulations on your marriage too! :punk:

-VB

Waterborne

Reaction score
Good work!

I live 5 minutes from the ocean, yet I drive 6 hours to the mountains to fish for trout. Just can't seem to get the surf fishing things dialed in.:(