Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Salt fishing without stripping

Anybody here use currents and the natural pulse of the fly to fish....in other words not stripping the line in ....more like what the dry fly guys would call " real" fly fishing?

I started trying this at the end of the season but ran out of time, I would like to do more of this , this year.

I should mention I am a NE strped bass fisherman, which for me, means 90 plus percent of the time I am blind casting stripping...blind cast strip etc etcetc sometimes blind cast ..drift strip strip strip

Which is why the idea of setting up a fly in a current and letting the action of the fly do its part appeals to me.

I have never been south where some of you lucky *******s are sight casting to fish....someday I' ll be there, when I retire.....but I imagine the kind of fishing I am asking about would be not very practical down there

Blog Entries

Default Re: Salt fishing without stripping

Hey,

It's been awhile since I've seen you post

Rip Tide will be the answer to this, that's my guess. I do it here when I fish in the shore surf. If there is a drift I use it like a river current.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Yup, "real" fly fishing methods work well in the salt
    Cast, mend, dead drift, mend again. Salt water game fish use current and structure just like their fresh water cousins.
    In the picture, I'm high stick dead drifting a pair of streamers in the long shore current but you can also fish a crab or sea worm fly the same way.
    Bait can get disoriented in the surf and the gamefish know to search the trough right at the edge of the whitewater.
    A long rod helps to pick up and mend the floating line over the breakers.
    Notice that my stripping basket is behind my back. You don't need one for this type of fishing. You're not using a lot of line, and you're not stripping

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Riptide, are you using weighted streamers?
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

Quote Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
    Riptide, are you using weighted streamers?
    In that picture... no. I wanted my flies to appear as if they were stunned by the surf.
    If you're fishing something like a crab or a worm, then they'll need to be weighted and hug the bottom to look as if they're trying to burrow in the sand.

In the surf, it's most important to be able to feel the connection to the fly.
    That could mean a weighted fly or just something that resists the pull of the current.
    You've got to keep in touch.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Are you using a full sinking line for the hug the bottom technique and intermediate line for the stunned by the surf one?
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

Floating line.

Only with a floating line can you mend like you would with "real" fly fishing.
    With an intermediate or sinking line you don't have the control. The waves and the current take control of your line and the only way to take it back is to strip. And that's not what we're interested in.

Plus a sinking line will only drag your fly through the sand. If you're using a stainless hook, your fly will be dull and worthless in minutes

Thank you Rip tide,

I am now returning the microphone to the original poster.

That's how the big flatwings fish best.

10. Likes Rip Tide liked this post

Thanks riptide.

So :

1) floating line
    2) cast and mend?
    3) streamers? Pair ? Tied how far apart ?
    4) leader length? Tapered necessary?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast