Any recommendations on where to buy SW flies on line

kingfish87

Reaction score
I hope this is appropriate to ask forum members... I don't tie flies (at least not yet anyway) and so I need to buy a handful of Deceivers, Clousers, and Poppers for a March trip down to Costa Rica (Pacific Coast). If anyone has a recommendation for a good price to quality place to buy SW flies on-line, please let me know. Thanks, in advance.

the Kingfish

gretch6364

Reaction score
Right now Sierra Trading Post has a good selection of saltwater flies for cheap. The quality of their flies is usually pretty good. I think a lot of them come from umpqua.

They have a 3 dozen bonefish and permit mix for $70 right now too. If you are not sure what to buy, listen to the Orvis POdcast on intro to saltwater...he list his 3 or so flies that he would not travel without.

Reaction score

Gerard

Reaction score
KF
Given SW flies are some of the easiest flies to tie, particularly given their size I would really recommend giving it a try.
Look on YouTube and you'll see how easy a Clouser is to tie. Great fun in the winter nights and there is nothing better catching a fish on a fly you tied. Clompletes the circle.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

oregonism

Reaction score
KF
Given SW flies are some of the easiest flies to tie, particularly given their size I would really recommend giving it a try.
Look on YouTube and you'll see how easy a Clouser is to tie. Great fun in the winter nights and there is nothing better catching a fish on a fly you tied. Clompletes the circle.

I agree with this. Saltwater tying is much more fun than tying trout flies with tiny, finicky materials. The materials can be cheaper as well.

kingfish87

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guys (and gals - if any there B). I have been giving some thought to tying 'em myself and I am encouraged by hearing they are fairly easy to tie. Right now, I'm spending my $$$ on a reel, rod and line and will need to "find" another $500 or so ( I'm just guessing) to get set up for tying my own. I agree that there would be the satisfaction of catching fish on flys of tied myself - I've reloaded bullets forever -. So , we shall see. In the meantime, I'll get some flies off the net (thanks again for the suggestions) and look into the equipment and materials I'll need to start tying myself.

the Kingfish

Gerard

Reaction score
KF
More like $50-70 to get started, if that.
A vise costs little and you can buy kits. No need to spend a fortune to start off with, if you like it then you can buy the nice stuff.

ditz

Reaction score
I agree on the tying your own.....4 or 5 nice bucktails and 3 or 4 packs of strung saddle hackle, a package of shiney stuff, a spool of thread and a bobbin will get you started along with a cheap vise. Hours of fun tying and daydreaming about the fish your flies will catch. I forgot some lead barbells and some beadchain for eyes. You will also need a sheet or two of craft foam for crease flies.

feathrflickr

Reaction score
I agree with the above comments, but if you end up buying your flies I would strongly recommend going and looking at 239flies.com. I bought a few from him before I started tying and they are truly works of art that catch fish. He can also customize any flies you see on the website to whatever specification you want. i.e. size, weight, colors.239 Flies

kingfish87

Reaction score
Thanks, guys for all the input. I've looked around for some tying equipment and quickly found that the vise is the most expensive part - which I sorta knew anyway. I can buy a AA real cheap to give it a shot but also found a Griffin vise and a Anvil vise that seem like good quality vices w/o breaking the bank... I just hate to buy junk, but I may decide to get the AA and see for myself how much I like tying.

the Kingfish

R

robmedina

KF

I second that. The first fly I tied was a deceiver. super easy. you tube was my teacher. It is very easy and quite relaxing to tie. In a matter of weeks I had hundreds of flies and then gave most away because I had too many LOL!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
This may be a bit late for the OP's question, but may perhaps help someone else with a similar situation.

If you're spending good money to take a trip, particularly some place where flies & gear may be hard to come by. Take the very best you can afford. If you don't tie your own, or your tying experience is limited, you'll want to have good flies that won't fall apart the first couple of casts.

I'll agree that generally salt type flies are not difficult to tie, but some styles & patterns need to be tied correctly to get the full potential. Just as an example, a Tarpon or Billfish fly that fouls constantly is worthless as you may only get limited opportunities to cast to a fish.

After you've spent a small fortune taking a fishing trip, you don't to blow it because you skimped on the flies. There are far too many other things that can go wrong to ruin a fishing a trip.

I have no affiliation with the following sites other than having visited them many times.

http://www.henrycowenflyfishing.com/ Henry Cowen is a well known fly tier & guide. He has some superb patterns that can fit a wide variety of destinations & species. Henry is also a wonderful person who willingly shares his knowledge. Henry is one of Umpqua's contract fly tiers/designers.

Saltwaterflies.com has an extensive list of flies to cover any aspect of saltwater fishing. Very good quality flies, but the prices will not be cheap. Their prices are pretty much inline with many fly shops or the better custom tiers.

It's also a excellent site if you want to tie your own, as most of their flies are pictured & they have some pattern recipes for many.

Lessons in Virginia - saltwater fly tying and fly casting Capt. Chris Newsome guides in the area of the lower Chesapeake Bay. I'm not sure if he sells flies, but he has some awesome patterns. Most are very unique & again will work for many species.
The link to his site goes to his "lessons" page with gives excellent information on a variety of subjects & includes his fly patterns. Chris is also a great guy who freely shares his knowledge.

Home of Dan Blanton's Fly Fishing Forum and Bulletin Board/Message Board - A valuable international resource for all! Another excellent source for saltwater information. Dan Blanton is known around the world. Dan is also one of Umpqua's contract tiers.

Tajue17

Reaction score
also, when you find some folks on-line who tie be sure to find someone who will actually change colors around for you or even go a little less sparse with the material if you need it and even upgrade hooks, maybe triple wrap the head for a better sink rate ,,

If i order flys online they need to be true custom with my favorite hooks and slight changes in the patterns that work for me,,,, otherwise I would just order from a reputable store like the Bears Den where the flys are already tied by popular tiers you just order the qty you want.

Last edited: