Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any recommendations on where to buy SW flies on line

I hope this is appropriate to ask forum members... I don't tie flies (at least not yet anyway) and so I need to buy a handful of Deceivers, Clousers, and Poppers for a March trip down to Costa Rica (Pacific Coast). If anyone has a recommendation for a good price to quality place to buy SW flies on-line, please let me know. Thanks, in advance.

the Kingfish

Default Re: Any recommendations on where to buy SW flies on line

Right now Sierra Trading Post has a good selection of saltwater flies for cheap. The quality of their flies is usually pretty good. I think a lot of them come from umpqua.

They have a 3 dozen bonefish and permit mix for $70 right now too. If you are not sure what to buy, listen to the Orvis POdcast on intro to saltwater...he list his 3 or so flies that he would not travel without.

I only say this because you ask, and apologize in advance if it breaks any rules.

Feel free to try mine here at The Fly's The Limit Quality Fly Fishing Flies and Supplies at unbeatable prices. Free shipping over $30 - Hand tied flies with finest US materials, lines, leaders, tools, rods, boxes and accessories.. I'm happy to give forum members a 30% discount - I can send you a coupon code via email. I guarantee they are high quality - or money back. All hand tied with finest US materials.

KF
    Given SW flies are some of the easiest flies to tie, particularly given their size I would really recommend giving it a try.
    Look on YouTube and you'll see how easy a Clouser is to tie. Great fun in the winter nights and there is nothing better catching a fish on a fly you tied. Clompletes the circle.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/Gforcegerry/shadowcaster.gif
    Regards Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    KF
    Given SW flies are some of the easiest flies to tie, particularly given their size I would really recommend giving it a try.
    Look on YouTube and you'll see how easy a Clouser is to tie. Great fun in the winter nights and there is nothing better catching a fish on a fly you tied. Clompletes the circle.

I agree with this. Saltwater tying is much more fun than tying trout flies with tiny, finicky materials. The materials can be cheaper as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys (and gals - if any there B). I have been giving some thought to tying 'em myself and I am encouraged by hearing they are fairly easy to tie. Right now, I'm spending my $$$ on a reel, rod and line and will need to "find" another $500 or so ( I'm just guessing) to get set up for tying my own. I agree that there would be the satisfaction of catching fish on flys of tied myself - I've reloaded bullets forever -. So , we shall see. In the meantime, I'll get some flies off the net (thanks again for the suggestions) and look into the equipment and materials I'll need to start tying myself.

the Kingfish

KF
    More like $50-70 to get started, if that.
    A vise costs little and you can buy kits. No need to spend a fortune to start off with, if you like it then you can buy the nice stuff.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/Gforcegerry/shadowcaster.gif
    Regards Gerard

I agree on the tying your own.....4 or 5 nice bucktails and 3 or 4 packs of strung saddle hackle, a package of shiney stuff, a spool of thread and a bobbin will get you started along with a cheap vise. Hours of fun tying and daydreaming about the fish your flies will catch. I forgot some lead barbells and some beadchain for eyes. You will also need a sheet or two of craft foam for crease flies.

10. Default Re: Any recommendations on where to buy SW flies on line

I agree with the above comments, but if you end up buying your flies I would strongly recommend going and looking at 239flies.com. I bought a few from him before I started tying and they are truly works of art that catch fish. He can also customize any flies you see on the website to whatever specification you want. i.e. size, weight, colors.239 Flies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast