Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hoping to fish the salt for the first time. Gear??

There are some gorgeous beaches in the Keys. I would totally go there instead of the panhandle if that is an option. Skip Islamorada though. Anything from there north pretty much sucks because of all the touristy **** and crowds. Get down into the Middle Keys and you will like it a whole lot more.

I'm not sure when you are going, but I'll be there a lot in October. Fantasyfest... hehehe. You're welcome to come fish with me. FYI- There will be 6/0+ Penns in use too, not just fly rods.... Don't be offended.

Quote Originally Posted by labradorguy View Post
    There are some gorgeous beaches in the Keys. I would totally go there instead of the panhandle if that is an option. Skip Islamorada though. Anything from there north pretty much sucks because of all the touristy **** and crowds. Get down into the Middle Keys and you will like it a whole lot more.

I'm not sure when you are going, but I'll be there a lot in October. Fantasyfest... hehehe. You're welcome to come fish with me. FYI- There will be 6/0+ Penns in use too, not just fly rods.... Don't be offended.

Are you talking about summer land key area when you say the middle keys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have spent a lot of time both in the Keys and the Destin area. For camping in July I'd take the panhandle. As far as campgrounds...I strongly recommend Topsail Hill State Park In Santa Rosa Beach. Stayed at them all...this place is
    Florida State Parks best. You need to book early via Reserve America which can e a challenge. There is a great. Fly shop in Watercolor that has an outstanding tarpon guide...think "chasing silver."..can't remember the name.
    The beach down there has a deeper trough right off the beach them pos up to shallower sand bars.....perfect for a ladder. I use one and wouldn't shore fis h without one.
    There are a couple websites specific to that area you might want to check.
    Topsail is right at the junction of 30A..which is one of the better roads in Florida. Santa Rosa beach is a much nicer and quieter camping area than those closer to Destin.

Summerland is good, Big Pine or Marathon are better. There are some sweet flats there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12