Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 Weight Fly Rod Questons

Default Re: 12 Weight Fly Rod Questons

I just spoke with my guide on the phone. He told me not to bother bringing my 10 weight as we wouldn't be throwing to anything under a hundred pounds. It sounds like 12 and 14 weights will be the order of the day.

As to my glass rod comment you should realize that I have never had the opportunity to throw a fly at a tarpon of any size though I have day dreamed about it since Stu Apte caught the record 151# on fly. That is more years than I care to remember.

Ditz,

If I still had my old fenwick 12 wt. I'd have been using it last week for sure. That rod racked up quite a few tarpon and blacktips too.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

That 12wt Fenwick must have been a bear to cast. I built a 9' 9wt Fenwick many years ago and I think I used it twice. My scrawny arms did not like the strain. I think it was a 1 piece blank which did not help matters much. Difficult to transport as well. It made a nice wall hanger though.

Ditz,

I bought that rod in '69 when I was nearly 40 lbs heavier and way, way stronger. It took me a while to figure out how to avoid tailing loops as I'd previously been fishing bamboo and light lines.

The lighter rods and better lines (for hot weather) have been delaying the inevitable progressive physical decline in mass and strength - though I am not sure how much, if any, my 1st generation Sage salt water 12 is now (after customization) from the old Fenwick.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

In retrospect if I still had the rod I would try a 10wt line on it. I don't think the rod weight was the problem but it was the rod action. It was like casting a broom stick. This was early in my fly fishing days and If a rod was rated for a specific line then that was the correct line. We have all learned a lot over the years. I lived in Indiana at the time and I bought the rod to cast big bass bugs because that is what the 'books' said was needed. I do think a 10 line would have made a big difference in the rod. I don't have a clue what happened to that rod. Probably got left behind during my divorce 25yrs ago.

Back then SA had only 3 AirCell Supreme WF lines. I probably should have put a Bass Taper on it instead of a Salt Water taper.

Quote Originally Posted by ditz View Post
    As to my glass rod comment you should realize that I have never had the opportunity to throw a fly at a tarpon of any size though I have day dreamed about it since Stu Apte caught the record 151# on fly. That is more years than I care to remember.
    Every fly fisherman should get a shot at big tarpon at least once in his life. Where are you located? I could get you on some big fish.

I live just south of Nashville TN but we do try to get to FL at least once a year. Sometimes it is the panhandle but I really like NSB. I think my next trip will be the Naples area. We are kinda looking for an area to live. At least several months each year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12