12 wt for GT and tarpon

ohbuoy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get some recommendations on a 11/12 wt rod. I have been fishing for nearly all of my 40 years, but the vast majority with conventional gear. While far from an expert fly fisherman, I have managed quite a few bonefish in tropical waters and stripers here on the NC coast.

For my 40th, my dad (and best fishing buddy) is taking me on a dream trip to Christmas Island to pursue bonefish and giant trevally, and possibly a day or two offshore. I am covered on the bonefish rod, but need help with selecting the GT rod. From everything I have read, 11/12 weight rods are the rule for GTs that can get up to 100 pounds. This will primarily be wading the flats and targeting GT on the edge of the flats where it drops to the channels. With the remoteness of Christmas Island, the recommendation is to come with a backup rod in case of breakage (no place to buy a replacement on the island). I am looking for a rod (or two) that will get the job done, but not break the bank.

Also should mention, we fish the Keys at least once a year, so ideally, whatever rod I get, I would also use for tarpon there (from a boat). I am currently considering the following:

TFO Mangrove series 12 wt
TFO Lefty Kreh TiCr X 12 wt
TFO Lefty Kreh Bluewater LD 10-12wt (one person suggested these rods are underrated and that I should instead consider the baby 8-10 wt)
Orvis Clearwater 12wt

All of these are under $300, which is where I would like to stay, especially if buying two. Looking at the TFO charts, I am concerned that the Bluewater may not cast very well, but I am impressed with its lifting rating. The reason I am considering the mangrove is because its chart is very balanced, but is it strong enough for a big GT or tarpon?

Would really appreciate views from folks experienced with big fish on these rods, and I welcome recommendations for any other rods that I should be considering.

Thanks in advance!

itchmesir

Reaction score
I have an old Fenwick that'll handle a 12wt line ;-) Unlikely to break either unless it gets ran over by a steamroller haha

ohbuoy

Reaction score
ditz, I'll ask, but it might be odd for him to have a son that is 2 years older than he is! Haha. Dad went to Christmas Island back in 2012 and has been trying to talk me into going with him ever since he arrived back. He said it was by far the best fishing experience ever. However, with me having 6 kids still living in my house, I somehow was unable to talk my wife into giving me the green light to spend that much on a fishing trip (just for myself). I guess dad finally figured that if he was ever going to get a chance to fish there again with me that he and my mom would have to finance the trip. I feel very lucky that my parents are doing that and that my wife agreed to let me leave her at home with the kids for the 9 or so days required for the trip.

theboz

Reaction score
Get the Mangrove . Heck of a rod and casts like a champ.! I have the 10 and it's been great for Tarpon and some big Bluefish! Sure the 12 won't be any diffrent in performance.

swflangler

Reaction score
I own a Mangrove and it's not a very good choice for making long cast. It loads very nice at close range, but lacks line speed to push through the wind. The Redington Predator might be worth looking into if you like a fast rod.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
I sure as heck would. BVK would be perfect for the Trevally. I use a 9wt for them here in Hawaii.

labradorguy

Reaction score
Christmas Island isn't Hawaii... (with plenty shops and resources). I've saw way too many BVKs break on the flats to trust one that far out.

If you don't believe me, read some reviews on using BVKs on the flats. There are plenty of stories of them breaking for no reason at all. They fish fine, but if you snap one (or two) that far out, you're screwed and you end up using some piece of junk that someone left behind four years ago. Dad is paying for the trip, so pony up a couple hundred more and get a top of the line stick. ;)

ohbuoy

Reaction score
Thank you for all the constructive input thus far.

Labradorguy,
I think you are oversimplifying it a bit. As I mentioned before, I don't do a ton of flyfishing, so the rod is only one item on a fairly long purchase list. There is also the reel to match with the rod, possibly a backup rod in case whichever I end up with breaks, fly lines, flies, possibly a backup for my bonefish rod, plus I am on the hook for costs once I get there, so tips, beverages, lodging in Honolulu, etc. I am the sole provider for a family of 8, so $200 here, $100 there, eventually adds up. I have read about the break issues with the BVKs, which is why it was not on my list. I have not read about problems with the others I listed in the TFO line, though. What would you recommend?

labradorguy

Reaction score
I've got boys, so I know about the one hundred here and one hundred there.... lol.

If I were doing it and I had the coin, I would get a Hardy Proaxis or a Loomis NRX. I've fished the Hardys a fair amount and am really happy with them, but my Proaxis rods are one piece so I can't comment regarding the 4-piece ones. I believe a Loomis NRX is the king of the flats. I have an 8wt that has caught so many fish, nailed more slams than I have fingers, and has been bent in so many stupid angles that I can not even describe them and it is still going strong. This includes a big tarpon that charged out of the blue and slammed it right at the boat, a once in a lifetime permit that pulled with his side against a hard running channel tide, and an 8' shark. Those rods are just ridiculously tough. I would take them anywhere and fish them hard and not think twice. 8 thru 12 are all amazing sticks.

If you go Loomis, get it tomorrow if you can. There is a new warranty starting on the 15th that was implemented by their stupid parent company. No more lifetime, now it is one year. That goes into effect Tuesday.

ohbuoy

Reaction score
Very good info! Thanks for the heads up on the Loomis. Was not aware of the warranty change. That is a big one...

guest61

Reaction score
The mangrove will do just fine. I disagree on its lack of ability to cast distance. get the right line on it and watch it fly! Any modern rod will handle CI GTs (Just remember, CI has some GTs that were never meant to be landed by anyone with anything!:eek:) Especially off of terra firma) Just do your homework on sound fish fighting skills. Keep the angles, keep the fight in the butt of the rod and do not high stick it when the fish gets close (Especially true for tarpon from a skiff) Look into Stu Apts "Down and Dirty" style of fish fighting. You can learn to land big fish quickly with just about any rod.

The Mangroves are growing in popularity among Musky anglers for their ability to easily throw huge flies long distances. This, IMO is the priority for your rod selection with GT poppers in mind.

Also, the Mangrove was designed by Flip Pallot specifically for back country Keys fishing.

All rods can break. I don't care if its a $1000 T&T or a $100 Redington. Its usually the same mistake that will break both rods and both rods will hold their own in fish fighting. So it boils down to casting.

Not trusting a modern TFO rod in any situation is just purely a lack of knowledge of equipment.

Get the Mangrove :)

fish hard

Reaction score
the lady is right about getting a top of the line rod.
10 wight rod are great. and 12. as long as its not to heavy and you work your risk to hard, I like g.loomis rods, sage rods.there are a lot of great fly rods out there and am surprise they are so strong. one time I had a tip of a 12 wight rod brake,while Tarpon fishing.so I made my client fish with a 8 wight rod.we landed the tarpon even though the fish blew the drag on the reel.
I have a G.loomis 9 wight. sage 9 wight and Loop 12 wight. my two boys 8 and 6 broke my 12 wight Tample fork playing around haha. if you brake it they will fix it.that's the good thing about these companys.:cool:

Tommy kee
Andros,Bahamas

labradorguy

Reaction score
All rods can break. I don't care if its a $1000 T&T or a $100 Redington. Its usually the same mistake that will break both rods and both rods will hold their own in fish fighting. So it boils down to casting.

Not trusting a modern TFO rod in any situation is just purely a lack of knowledge of equipment.

Think what you want, but some rods are breaking more than others. If you don't know about the BVK reputation for snapping for no reason on the flats then you aren't a flats hound and the lack of knowledge is on your end, not mine. I've saw two break myself for no reason at all. One was handled by a guy who has caught more world class tarpon than anyone I know. The walls on that blank are ridiculously thin.

It may be great for casting in the Keys. You break it, you pop into Islamorada and grab a new one. No big deal. This is a bit different scenario. He's not fishing in the Keys.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

the lady is right about getting a top of the line rod.
10 wight rod are great. and 12. as long as its not to heavy and you work your risk to hard, I like g.loomis rods, sage rods.there are a lot of great fly rods out there and am surprise they are so strong. one time I had a tip of a 12 wight rod brake,while Tarpon fishing.so I made my client fish with a 8 wight rod.we landed the tarpon even though the fish blew the drag on the reel.
I have a G.loomis 9 wight. sage 9 wight and Loop 12 wight. my two boys 8 and 6 broke my 12 wight Tample fork playing around haha. if you brake it they will fix it.that's the good thing about these companys.:cool:

Tommy kee
Andros,Bahamas

Tommy,

Welcome to the forums! I hope you stick around and share some stories about those awesome Andros flats. :)

swflangler

Reaction score
The mangrove will do just fine. I disagree on its lack of ability to cast distance. get the right line on it and watch it fly! Any modern rod will handle CI GTs (Just remember, CI has some GTs that were never meant to be landed by anyone with anything!:eek:) Especially off of terra firma) Just do your homework on sound fish fighting skills. Keep the angles, keep the fight in the butt of the rod and do not high stick it when the fish gets close (Especially true for tarpon from a skiff) Look into Stu Apts "Down and Dirty" style of fish fighting. You can learn to land big fish quickly with just about any rod.

The Mangroves are growing in popularity among Musky anglers for their ability to easily throw huge flies long distances. This, IMO is the priority for your rod selection with GT poppers in mind.

Also, the Mangrove was designed by Flip Pallot specifically for back country Keys fishing.

I would be happy to sell you my Mangrove 8wt!

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Hahaha, your saying TFO rods are prone to breakage because some flats monkeys hit them too many times with their flies, and because another person had some kids break one sword fighting? C'mon. I have caught many big hard fighting fish on my BVK, it has never failed me. I would take a TFO rod to CI without worry, and for a same weight back up, I would bring anther TFO. I think the name bashing is a little over the top. I sure as hell am not going to start worrying about my BVK self destructing out on the flats for no reason.

labradorguy

Reaction score
Hahaha, your saying TFO rods are prone to breakage because some flats monkeys hit them too many times with their flies, and because another person had some kids break one sword fighting? C'mon. I have caught many big hard fighting fish on my BVK, it has never failed me. I would take a TFO rod to CI without worry, and for a same weight back up, I would bring anther TFO. I think the name bashing is a little over the top. I sure as hell am not going to start worrying about my BVK self destructing out on the flats for no reason.
Just playing the odds. Their rep is less than sterling. There are better rods out there. Besides, the OP has already excluded them so it really doesn't matter does it??

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Guess your right, but I still think the BVK should be considered for the price point and situation.