Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
  1. Default Which fly line for spring striped bass?

Hi All,

The schoolies are coming and I plan to chase them with a fly rod. I'll be in estuaries, salt ponds and Narragansett bay of RI. Do I want an intermediate line or do I need a faster sinking line to get down to them in the colder water of spring?

Default Re: Which fly line for spring striped bass?

I use an intermediate 90% of the time the only time i use a fast sink is in current or deep water. If you are mostly wade fishing the intermediate is what you want. I have a clear cortland 444 intermediate striper line that i really like, i have used SA intermediate striper line and had some issues with the coating getting lots of little cracks after only a few months. I fish mostly the Delaware and Chesapeake bays and the ocean side also. A few schoolies have been caught this past week near me so they are headed north.
    jim
    I don't always fly fish but when I do I prefer salt water. Stay salty my freinds

3. Default Re: Which fly line for spring striped bass?

Jim,
    What weight line are you using. I have been using an 8 wt floater with a sink tip with much frustration in the surf. I ended up rigging my fly and leader to a spinning outfit and fishing with it. I mostly fish in Cape May and Sea Isle.