The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  55
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-02-2015, 10:53 PM

huntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to behold
Default I want to hear about Cuba....

Our relations have changes and the stories from the past and the current european use are quite interesting. Cigars, Mojitos, and flats fish that run at your badly presented fly as opposed to away are the stuff you dream of.

I would like to go next year or the year after.

Anyone got any thoughts/info?
Southeastern Illinois College (semi retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
NSCA Level III Instructor
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes wwpalum liked this post
Old 09-02-2015, 11:34 PM

GrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to hear about Cuba....

I've mentioned this in a few threads during my short time here, yet in the past 15 years or less things have changed there quite a bit, and if you don't hurry down they'll only be worse....Literally in that time (since everyone else was travelling there, and you could via Canada), resorts by foreign investors have been popping up, and where once you could 99-year lease property there for a pittance, now the Cubans have wised up as everyone else bought in.

In any case, here is one of my posts on it:

I've been thinking it for a long time and have a couple posts on this forum regarding it.....That said, now unfortunately guide groups from other nations have come in and monopolized the market by assisting local governments with their revenue stream

What that translates to is wherein just a few years ago, roughly 10 or less you could just go fish like a madman, everything was inexpensive and it was wide open....Now you have to pay out the ying-yang and MUST use one of the charter services to fish or face arrest. Add to that prices have jumped dramatically, and what might have been a trip of a lifetime for $2,000 is now an iffy affair costing you closer to $7-10,000+ when all said and done.

Never the less, the Cays of the S.W. portion around Isla de la Juventund, Cayo Largo where I have been considering is said to be one of the few places in the world, and the easiest to get an Inshore Grand Slam (Permit, Bonefish, Tarpon).

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes smilingduck, mcnerney, wwpalum liked this post
Old 09-03-2015, 04:35 PM

huntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to behold

I have heard the same. I wonder what would happen if a few American outfitters/guide groups could get a toe hold and show lower but still profitable pricing if it might not become a "gas war" type situation. Bust the price setting/gouging and here we go.

It could/will be interesting to follow the Cuban economy if we, the US private sector, really jump into this and get things going. It does not seem from what I have heard that the Euro folks have done much outside of this "resort fishing." I would hope some of our folks could do it and not try and make a "Big Client" killing on prices.

I
Shotgun Team Coach
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, GrtLksMarlin liked this post
Old 09-24-2015, 06:46 PM

holywaters_ca is on a distinguished road

As a Canadian I've fished Cayo Coco many times, and I've got to say that it is 100% the best bonefish/permit fishing in the Carribean. 20 bonefish days, grand slams etc etc are all very possible everytime you go out. the bonefish there are big too,... you will have serious shots at 10lb+ fish everyday, and they average 5-6 lbs. Then we start to talk about tarpon... and the permit...well..that's another story...
Because of the strict government controls, you will rarely see anyone else on the water, it's just a beautiful place to go. Avalon pretty much rules the waters in the fly fishing destinations, and they are really (really) expensive. What we do is just stay at one of the all inclusive resorts at Cayo Coco, the guide picks us up for a quick jaunt to Cayo Romano,... and you are in business. Guidesforflyfishing.com will set you up with a guide for the day, and they only price out at about $350/day.
As for the American-Cuban thing, as I said I'm Canadian, so I have no problem, and i know the Cuban government has absolutely no problem with Americans coming down. Most americans we have run into there have flown in from Canada or Mexico. What I will say though is, right now there is virtually no pressure on the flats, and I'm hoping with the influx of American travellers (fishermen) I'm hoping things won't change, but I'm fearful it will. If you are going to go.... go now. I don't want you to think that I don't want american fishermen there, I do... I want everyone to experience it, it's just like our (canadian) secret fishing hole...
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, GrtLksMarlin, moucheur2003 liked this post
Old 09-24-2015, 07:05 PM

Holywaters:

Thats the kind of info I was looking for.

I have some questions regarding time of year and more specifics on your stay at the Cayo Coco resorts.

If you would not mind I will send you a PM with my email contact info and ask that you send me yours so we can "chat" about this.

Thanks a ton
Shotgun Team Coach
Old 09-24-2015, 10:31 PM

wwpalum is on a distinguished road

I too would LOVE to fish Cuba. I went to the Fly Fishing Film Festival today and one of the movie selections was about fishing in Cuba. It was called "90 Miles" and it was great. They showed how the U.S. Population of bonefish in Florida Keys depends on Cuba and had some excellent fishing and cultural footage of the area.
Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post
Old 09-28-2015, 12:45 PM

GrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond repute

Holywaters, that is some great info there. I always knew about hopping over to Canada and then to Cuba, and using cash (due to "trading with the enemy"...Big rolls-eyes here), yet that link to guides is great for many reasons and locations.

You wouldn't happen to know if they doing anything down in Cayo Largo Cuba would you? That is somewhat where I have been considering to also keep the wife happy being textile challenged.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:47 PM

ajax6 will become famous soon enoughajax6 will become famous soon enough

We have been fishing in the Gardens of the Queen (Los Jardines de la Reina) since 2000 with no problems. Learned the best area, tides, moon and months to be there for tarpon and permit. In May 2016 we return to there. Two fishermen can join our five aboard the Mothership with skiffs in tow, crew and guides aboard to fish May 14-20, 2016.
Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post
Old 12-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a good story on fishing Cuba:
Cuba

Likes GrtLksMarlin, Dave Penny liked this post
Old 12-21-2015, 07:01 PM

Now, that was interesting......

I would still like to see the price throat hold the Euro folks have fixed.

Thanks mcnernay
Shotgun Team Coach