Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  181
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Redfish Pics

Default Re: Redfish Pics

I have seen the occasional giant up shallow, but I bypass them to target fish that appear to be within the legal slot length since my main goal is fillets for dinner. Yesterday I just wasn't lucky enough to land any reds that fell within the slot limits.

How much of an initial run is acceptable? And how long is an acceptable fight? None of the fish yesterday made it more than +/- 60 feet after hookup, and all were at the kayak within 3-4 minutes. My catches on an 8 weight have resulted in similar run distances and fight times, and when I catch them on conventional tackle the fight is about the same. Maybe I'm missing something, but all my leaders are 12 lb with a short 20 lb tippet for abrasion resistance, so I fight fish on each outfit as if it has 12 lbs of strength whether it be the 4 or the 8. The 4 is less work to cast all day and though the rod does bend easier, I apply about the same drag pressure on all of my setups and fight the fish with the drag more than the rod. Maybe that's not how it should be done, but it seems to work pretty well. The flat is less than a foot deep for hundreds of acres, and if the fish died after release a white belly would show up very well. I carefully recover each fish before releasing it, and then watch the direction it swims so I can keep a lookout for distress if it should go belly-up. I know any fish can die after release, but if fight times are similar to my 8 weight, how is the 4 more dangerous to the fishes survival?

Conversations in text can be taken different than was intended, so I will add that my questions are honest and asked with all due respect.

Blog Entries

Got in a tiny bit of fishing just before the cold and windy weather invaded. 77 today, 46 tomorrow.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

3. Likes flyminded liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post

Got in a tiny bit of fishing just before the cold and windy weather invaded. 77 today, 46 tomorrow.
    That's the troutiest looking redfish I've ever seen

5. Likes karstopo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Whoops! Looks like I got the wrong thread! I wanted a redfish, cast at a redfish, does that count?
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678