Fly fishing Texas coast

jjs89yj

Reaction score
Anyone here fly fish the texas coast, particularly around the Port A area? I'm going to be going down in a few weeks and staying near the packery channel on mustang island and debating what i need to bring.

Thanks!

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Bring clousers, decievers, gurglers, merkins, kwans, and a 9 wt rod with a floating redfish or bass bug taper line. That'll get you set up for the reds, trout, jacks, and smacks that should be around. Bring some wire tippet too. Lots of toothy fish and oysters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
IMO, the suggestions Joey has given can cover most places where those species are found. I will only add that it's always a good idea to have both light & dark fly patterns. I believe he also meant to say have some wire tippet for the toothy fish. I usually carry both 15 & 30 lb wire, but the 15 gets used most.

jjs89yj

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Thanks for the responses. I've never fished with wire-- would i tie it directly to the hook in place of tippet? Does it tie like mono and fluoro, or is there a special knot?

Thanks

crc01

Reaction score
a red and white or green and white clouser will work just fine.

Yep. 2 flies I always know will get eats are a pink/white and green/white clousers. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother throwing other flies. Variety is the spice of life and all that I guess.

karstopo

Reaction score
When I first started fly fishing, clousers were about all I used. First, and still best red at 9.5# came on a chartreuse size 4 clouser. My first speckled trout, 22", came on a pink and white or red and white one, I can't exactly remember which. First flounder, lots of firsts.

I hardly ever put one on any more. No reason other than I like tying and fishing other patterns more.

vanwagw

Reaction score
Anyone here fly fish the texas coast, particularly around the Port A area? I'm going to be going down in a few weeks and staying near the packery channel on mustang island and debating what i need to bring.

Thanks!
I have family who speak highly of it. never fished it myself.

pete a

Reaction score
I'd suggest a fast taper 8wt as more comfortable. Save the wire until toothy fish are on immediate list. Specs, reds and flounder don't need 'em.

I like my flies sparse and bit lighter (bead eyes rather then lead) making it easier to cast is our near constant SE winds. Lots of our shallow water has soft weeds that foul heavy flies poste haste.

Poppers, clousers, Deceivers. Finding fish is more important than color. However love blue/white, chartruse/white.

Try Port A jetties for small snook.