Reel color

ccetex

Reaction score
I'm new to saltwater fly fishing and have noticed that most reels seem to be silver or black. Does the reel color matter?
Thanks
Chuck

gc59

Reaction score
For inshore fishing I use black reels and take a little gloss off fly rods to maintain stealth. Silver and gloss will flash, especially in sunny conditions and make fish aware of your presence.

ccetex

Reaction score
What about red, blue, or green? Do they spook the fish? Or does it have to be a shiny reel that reflects the light?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The first saltwater purpose built fly reels made in Florida in the 50's and 60's were gold. This was likely due to the dominance of that color in big game and stand up reels. today, black and "clear anodized", for some reason we don't like to say aluminum colored, do tend to be most common. There are conditions, stalking bonefish in skinny water, where stealth and lack of reflectivity are relevant concerns and hot weather boating where anti heat absorption might make black less appropriate.

I personally prefer medium value matt finishes but my wife has a red bonefish reel and, as far as I can determine, it has spooked no fish. As the old adage goes; if you are so close too or your movements draw the fishes attention, it won't matter what colors you are sporting, the fish is gone.

crc01

Reaction score
The first saltwater purpose built fly reels made in Florida in the 50's and 60's were gold. This was likely due to the dominance of that color in big game and stand up reels. today, black and "clear anodized", for some reason we don't like to say aluminum colored, do tend to be most common. There are conditions, stalking bonefish in skinny water, where stealth and lack of reflectivity are relevant concerns and hot weather boating where anti heat absorption might make black less appropriate.

I personally prefer medium value matt finishes but my wife has a red bonefish reel and, as far as I can determine, it has spooked no fish. As the old adage goes; if you are so close too or your movements draw the fishes attention, it won't matter what colors you are sporting, the fish is gone.

Yep.

I have never seen a situation where I thought the color of my rod, reel or clothing for that matter, has spooked fish. It is more about your movement. Granted, most of my experience is with Texas redfish so that may vary with other species and locations.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Wild colors seem to be the norm for salt these days. I have no experience, but when fishing at a distance it seems that reel color would be largely irrelevant. I'd buy whatever reel makes you happy.

rodteague

Reaction score
If big @$$ flats, drift, bass or jon boats can sneak up on fish with poles, oars and trolling motors; I hardly think your choice in reel color will matter. We give far too much credit to the intelligence of fish. Buy what ever color you like and fish it like you stole it :D Just sayin' ;)

Regards

Rod

Last edited:
I

ikankecil

In terms of function, and fish catching, it makes no difference.

Go back 20 years and gold Tibor reels were the flavor of the 90's.

Now it's a silver Hatch.

a decade from now it will be something else.

Pick what you like and have fun.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
The last several reels I purchased were a Evo R in platinum (chose this color due to never having a reel other than black), a black Nautilus Xm in matte black with a red drag, a all Black Atlas and a emerald Kraken (goofy green / blue color with a blue drag). Outside of showing marks the only logic (convoluted) I see to a clear or gunmetal reel is that they may not get as warm in a direct tropical sun. Future reels such as the Allen Omega will probably be clear with blue drag accents. However, a black Abel reel is about as classy as it gets. Someone posted here not too long ago that red anodizing is the least durable

pnc

Reaction score
Mcmac,
It all depends on whether its before April or not. We do want to look good, right.

....... pc

karstopo

Reaction score
I believe Nautilus charges an additional $100 for a custom color. Abel charges the same for a single color, but at Abel you can get hand painted then anodized finish starting at an additional $250. I don’t think Tibor charges more for color, just more for some types of engraving. Seems like every maker has their own system on how or if they charge for color outside of silver or black.

There’s some really neat looking finishes available on some of the Abel reels. The top of the line, artist/signature series ones run an additional $700.