Dominican Republic Punta Cana inshore?

muddzy

Reaction score
Hi. Newbie saltwater fly fisherman that's never fished south of Maryland. The wife booked a trip between christmas and over New Years. I've done the search thing and I have found very little info for fishing the eastern half of the Dominican Republic (DR), especially near the resort we are staying at just north of Punta Cana (next to Breathless Punta Cana Resort and Spa). We were in Jamaica last year and not once did I wish I had my fishing gear (no substantial reef + lots of poverty = very weak fishery). This is only a short 5 day trip but I would love to get some fly fishing in. Ideally, I could fish from the surf but the little I'm finding says not likely (legally and finding fish). I'm looking at guides/charters on a small boat but very limited info there, too.

Anyone have input on this DR region? I can do chartered offshore fishing as a last resort so any info on that would also be appreciated.

THANKS!

muddzy

Reaction score
I really appreciate the link regarding fishing in Punta Cana. I have contacted the main charter in the article and I'm waiting to hear back. The resort we are staying at is brand new...opening now (Nov 2016). In your opinion, is it unsafe to walk along the beach for a mile or two trying to surf fish? I will be contacting the resort to see what they say but I'm just curious to hear your perspective. Thank you!