Surf fishing the outer banks

surftostream

Reaction score
I am new to fly fishing, and was wondering if it is doable to surf fish the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I will be in the Nags Head area in around late summer time. I was wondering if it is worth fly fishing this area, and if it is what to use and what species to target.

danmarino

Reaction score
I have a vacation home down there and want to give salt water fly fishing a try as well. If I catch anything, I'll post about it.

pnc

Reaction score
First time flying salt ?
Good luck , but be aware. Vacation house might change to up there.

........ pc

Reaction score
A couple years back I was on a road trip with Wifey that included 5 days in OBX- staying in Waves. I of course had to bring a few fly rods. The first thing to mention is the wind... There's a reason OBX is a world class destination for Kiteboarders and Sailborders. On the few days that it wasn't blowing 12-18 knots I was able to get out on the Sound side. I caught a bunch of Juvenile stripers but from what I was told they routinely catch keepers. That time of year, however, the Striper migration should still be up north, so my guess is you'll only see resident stripers (if those even exist...once again I'm just guessing and going on a few days on the water there). There are also Sea Trout and other species you can target.

Good luck! I would recommend a heavier rod (9 wt) to deal with the wind and try throwing low profile flies- also because of the wind. Maybe try some shrimp or crab patterns? I was throwing deceivers and clousers which worked but once again... that wind.

-Scoots

danmarino

Reaction score
I am headed there this weekend and will be there for 9 days. I plan to bring a fly rod. I have access to a canoe and plan to fish in the sound side canals. I'll report back if I catch anything. Yes, the wind is a major concern. The canals offer great wind protection. I might get out more into the sound and see if I can find any stripers, redfish, or specks. Again, it's all weather dependent. :)