Wahoo on the Fly!

rustyhook101

Reaction score
My uncle and I chartered the Shogun out of San Diego to do just that. We have a couple of spots open, the trip isn't until Nov 2018 so you have plenty of time to beg, borrow or steal those 13 and 15 wt setups. We need to provide Shogun Sportfishing the anglers names in a couple of months to secure the boat.

Interested? PM me here or use the contact info below.

If the mods deem this post to be inappropriate, I will delete it. :(

rustyhook101

Reaction score
Correct, my first post here. Not a commercial request. I'm just one of the paying anglers trying to fill the few remaining open spots.

They did some trips back in the late 80's/early 90's and set quite a few IGFA records since not many people were doing the big game thing. One skipper even had to eat his shoe because he bet no one would catch a wahoo on a fly.
Most of those records (striped marlin, wahoo, black skipjack etc.) have since been broken.

Nice video you linked. Her retrieve was perfect. Long pulls with a second or two in between. She didn't even know she was hooked up. :)

Last edited:
J

james w 3 3

I spent a little more than 10yrs fishing long range boats out of San Diego. The Shogun is a fine vessel, one of the best riding boats in the fleet, and a very well run operation. Moreover, this trip is in an absolutely prime time frame, my favorite!
Not just wahoo, but yellowfin tuna, big yellowfin tuna, depends how far offshore they decide to go.
Very very comfortable cabins, gourmet food, a very well trained and professional crew looking after you.

Not affiliated, but LR fishing is a small close knit community down there and I've come to know everybody.

rustyhook101

Reaction score
AH! Someone who's been there.

Now imagine your Shogun trip with only 16 anglers, not the usual 24-32. Ultra-limited load!

You'll also have 3-4 skiffs to hop into and chase down the fish. Even the big fish tire quickly when towing around a skiff. :cool:

camelbrass

Reaction score
Wahoo are great fun on fly.

I got my first off St Francois in the Seychelles in January (that T and T video is the from the same place). Like on the video, these ones jump while hitting the teaser and then sometimes jump when grabbing the fly. They sometimes need some encouragement to come in hard on the popper, but that first run from a big one is heart thumping stuff.

Regards,

Trevor

J

james w 3 3

AH! Someone who's been there.

Now imagine your Shogun trip with only 16 anglers, not the usual 24-32. Ultra-limited load!

You'll also have 3-4 skiffs to hop into and chase down the fish. Even the big fish tire quickly when towing around a skiff. :cool:
NO SKIFF RIDE FOR ME EVER AGAIN!
Jumped in one to chase a huge yellowfin as my 800yds of spectra was going away crazy fast. An hour later we lose him at the gaff. :mad: After calming down we realize we can't see the big boat (big! The Excel, 126' long) AND our hand held radio isn't raising them. :eek::eek::eek:
Miraculously we meet up several hours later because we saw a big blue water sailboat on the horizon and figured the big boat would be headed towards that since we'd been out of touch so long. :wavetowel
I was just thankful we didn't have to overnight in that little thing.

That trip was 16days long with only 17 anglers on board. :D

just4grins

Reaction score
I've caught Wahoo in the Keys on standard offshore tackle, but fly rods! My only grip is I'm almost 74 and have caught some really large fish, but Wahoo, fastest fish in the ocean? I admire you guys. Tell us about the tackle you use. I've hooked up some huge tarpon, but...

camelbrass

Reaction score
I’ve caught mine on my sailfish rig. 12wt and Abel 11/12N with 300 metres of gel spun backing. You need most of that. Fish is teased in and teaser switched with a sailfish fly (wire rigged).

Regards,

Trevor

rustyhook101

Reaction score
I've caught Wahoo in the Keys on standard offshore tackle, but fly rods! My only grip is I'm almost 74 and have caught some really large fish, but Wahoo, fastest fish in the ocean? I admire you guys. Tell us about the tackle you use. I've hooked up some huge tarpon, but...
We have 2 anglers on board older than you. Step up!

I'm taking everything from 8wt to 15wt. The bigger reels have several hundred yards of 50lb gelspun backing and up to 600gr Rio Leviathan fly lines. Most of my fishing is usually done with a Winston 12wt, hatch 9+ or 11+ or Tibor reel. The bigger rods are for the marlin or big tuna. When you see a Hatch 12+ or Tibor Pacific reels they are laughable because they are so big. You love them on big fish, all that backing and large arbor.