The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 05-19-2017, 01:52 PM

plecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant future
Default Something New

I caught my first striper on a fly today, followed by a bunch more (around 2 dozen).
Nothing big. The largest was 19". The largest I saw anyone catch was about 25". Still early in Maine.
Even with nothing big, it was a lot of fun. The wind was howling, but it was warm.
This was a one-day-late birthday present. I was 70 yesterday.
I have a question. Does anyone pinch the barbs on striper flies? I ask because a number of them today were really difficult to get out of the fish.

Paul
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 7 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 05-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Something New

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something New

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
I caught my first striper on a fly today, followed by a bunch more (around 2 dozen).
Nothing big. The largest was 19". The largest I saw anyone catch was about 25". Still early in Maine.
Even with nothing big, it was a lot of fun. The wind was howling, but it was warm.
This was a one-day-late birthday present. I was 70 yesterday.
I have a question. Does anyone pinch the barbs on striper flies? I ask because a number of them today were really difficult to get out of the fish.
Congratulations on both the milestones.

I don't just pinch my barbs... I grind them down with a Dremel Tool
As I shared in another thread recently;
Once while casting in a high wind, I hooked myself right in the corner on my mouth with a 2/0 Clouser.
Just where you'd want to hook a fish
It never broke the skin and could have been a lot worse, but you're not playing with midge flies out there
Likes Ard liked this post
Old 05-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

What a great way to enter decade number 7! I'd be happy catching them right now myself. I've been sidelined since last Sunday with some sort of flue, a truly bad one with shakes and sweats, the works. I had to cancel a guided trip today because I'm still not right, the kings are in and I'm grounded.

But you're doing great buddy, keep it up!

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors
Old 05-19-2017, 04:29 PM

bloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud of

I find that stripers, even in the low 20s, fight like the devil and, as soon as you hook your first one, you realize that your 9wt was not too much rod to bring to the party. Congrats on your milestones. Hoping to catch a low tide on The Cape this weekend for my first striper outing of the season.

Ard, here's wishing you a quick recovery.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:58 PM

trout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud of

That's a bootin' way to celebrate a birthday.

I'm landlocked and so are the Stripers I chase these days.
I use a light bend down to semi flatten the barb, then a fine file to sweep away the barb before I tie each fly, ( If I leave the barb up and try to file it down, the file tends to grab the edge of the barb and jump & bind, jump & bind. ) ......I'd gladly use a dremel instead, if I had one.

Two dozen Stripers - great work. Take a look at the pad of your thumb on whichever hand you grip the fishes lip with. That roughed up redness, it's called Striper-Rash, isn't it great?

Best of luck, Dave
Old 05-19-2017, 05:45 PM

dennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant future

pelcain, Happy Birthday, sounds lik you got exactly what you wanted!

Striper fishing is for sure on my bucket list!

Good Going!

Denny