The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 05-19-2017, 10:24 PM

Tailwalk7 is on a distinguished road
Default Need help/ 1 combo what is it??

I figured this was the place to ask it. I travel to south Florida a few times a year to fish I bounce back from cAtching tailing reds, to bonefish, to permit and snook. I want one fly combo for all and was looking at the Nautilus CCF-X2 in size 6-8wt reel.
What are yalls thoughts on it??? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 06:49 AM

deceiverbob is a splendid one to beholddeceiverbob is a splendid one to beholddeceiverbob is a splendid one to beholddeceiverbob is a splendid one to beholddeceiverbob is a splendid one to beholddeceiverbob is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need help/ 1 combo what is it??

I just bought that reel this winter for my 7 wt. One. Haven't really caught anything to test it yet. So for it has done a great job of holding line. For your application especially with permit in the mix you might consider a 9 wt. rod over an 8 wt or smaller rod.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:21 AM

Do you think that sized reel is good for bonefish?

Old 05-20-2017, 10:20 AM

duker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to all

Other much more experienced salt water anglers will chime in, but I think for an all-round saltwater rod for what you want to fish for you should consider a 9 weight and a slightly bigger reel. When I started saltwater fishing I had a number of people recommend a 9 weight as a good all-rounder--the "if you could only have one saltwater rod" rod. It's a bit big for bones, but not if there's a wind blowing (which there inevitably is). At a minimum I'd go with an 8 weight and a reel that can hold about 200 yards of backing. I don't fish with Nautiluses (use a Tibor and an Islander) but they get good reviews.

Do a search of the forum for "first saltwater rod" and you'll find a number of similar threads.

Scott
Old 05-20-2017, 12:55 PM

deceiverbob is a splendid one to beholddeceiverbob is a splendid one to beholddeceiverbob is a splendid one to beholddeceiverbob is a splendid one to beholddeceiverbob is a splendid one to beholddeceiverbob is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwalk7 View Post
Do you think that sized reel is good for bonefish?

I think it is big enough for bones. Duker I primarily fish 6 and 8 weights but for sea trout and red fish rather than for bones. I mentioned a nine because the OP mentioned permit. I also remember in Ben Taylor's Florida Keys fly fishing guide he advocated a 10 wt as an all around Florida Keys rod as it could handle Tarpon, permit and bonefish
Old 05-20-2017, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the input guys

Old 05-21-2017, 09:48 AM

pnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to all

Do not know capacity of reel mentioned. Close to 200 yds of backing is plenty.
An all around rod for species mentioned. I would go 8w. Reasons. sort of overkill for bones........ fine for reds....... a little on weak side.for permit & SMALL tarpon. Now reds can get big. Tarpon get bigger. An 8w will handle a 50-60 lb fish. But it takes some work. Bigger fish can be caught. BUT ONLY ! ...... in a reasonable amount of time. If fish can not be brought to hand without killing. Break it off.
I've caught a number of fish (tarpon) close to the 100lb mark a couple just over with an 8w. And broken off way more if I'm not getting any control after 20 minutes. I do not target tarpon with an 8w. Unless they are babies in canals. Now and then an older cousin is around. That's how I ended up with all but one of the larger on the 8w. Targeting tarpon I use a 10w with a 12w at the ready. And back-up for each.
Turned 60 in January and don't fish them as much as I once did. But that doesn't mean the little ones. Still use an 8w and don't pass up opportunities. Amazing light shows on moonlit nights. Carefull though, stop if you start getting flashbacks...... lol.

........ pc