Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Spoon fly recommendations?

I want to try some spoon flies for redfish. I don't have a local shop to see them up close. It's important that they are light weight for my fishing conditions, and none of the online sources seem to have much info about weight. These look interesting: https://www.orlandooutfitters.com/fl...spoon-fly.html

I'd be interested in recommendations. I don't tie.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Spoon fly recommendations?

I went through a time where I tried to make my own out of 5 minute epoxy, micro glitter and some specialty copper wire I got at a craft store. They took a long time to make and basically were terrible. I still have them somewhere and most are so heavy they can be cast with spinning gear.

I've never really fished mine or anyone else's very much at all after that fiasco. I thought the ones in the link looked good. I have some that look like the ones that Orvis sells and they are pretty heavy. The ones in the link look better and lighter.

Spoon flies seem pretty popular in Louisiana for big redfish. I don't see nearly as many references to spoon flies here in Texas and our fish don't tend to run as big as the neighbors to the east.

I've also never used those Dupre spoons, but have seen them mentioned and recommended in various articles I've read. There was an article in Florida Sportsman magazine a few years ago about spoon flies that mentioned Capt Dupre & his spoons.

I make some with fake plastic finger nails. Something I had read about, and they work pretty well, although I have yet to use them for Redfish. I've caught several bass on them. The primary issue I've found with spoon flies is of course weight, and the other issue is they tend to spin if retrieved too fast. That twists up the leader & tippet & weakens it.

I've made some too with wire frames & epoxy, and they work well, but again I've never had the opportunity to toss one at a Redfish. They're also more of an open water spoon.

Rainy's flies has one, I've seen it in a Cabela's catalog I think, but have not used one of them either.

There are plenty of good flies for Redfish. Last one's I caught were on some Bendbacks I had tied.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Fake finger nails & hot glue are lightest I know of. No tying really needed. But tail material is best secured to hook shank. If just glued into nail with hook. There is more tendency for it to wrap around hook casting.

........ pc

Blog Entries

One thing I heard about spoon flies besides the already mentioned line twisting issue is that they tend to do strange things casting in the wind. Their shape catches the wind and it can tend to steer them off target.

Mine avoided that issue being the approximate weight and shape of a .308 bullet.

7. Likes bigjim5589, fr8dog, mcnerney liked this post

Yep, that twisting issue when casting is another problem, and I failed to mention it.

I've not had any issue with the finger nail spoons twisting on the hook, but I build a solid thread foundation on the shank ( Danville Flat Nylon) & use 2 ton Devcon epoxy for constructing them. I also coat the entire fly with the same epoxy. I like adding some glitter into the epoxy too.

As pnc has said, any tail added, and I feel a tail is needed, should be tied to the hook shank. IMO, a tail material adds a bit of drag, and aids in keeping balance to the spoon & helps limit all that spinning & twisting, like the tail on a kite. As long as you don't get too crazy with the retrieve rate.

I have a pic that shows one of my finger nail spoons, but with Photobucket's "issue" can't get it posted.

I need to switch to another pic hosting site, just haven't done it yet.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

I have tied a few but really don't like using them. The best I used was Waldner's spoon fly. I have since found that #12 Tony Acetta's pet spoons can be cast with an 8 wt so I use those when I need a spoon.

10. Likes karstopo liked this post

Thanks for all the replies. Gold spoons are one of the top redfish lures in my part of FL for spinning and free spool tackle. I figured I'd give it a try on the fly rod if I could get some that are light and easy to cast, but based on what I've read here, I think I'll pass. My #1 fly for reds and snook, BTW, is the Puglisi Mullet. My reds eat crabs all day long but I find crab flies fished in a realistic manner over oyster bars get hung up about every third cast. Not worth the trouble.

12. Likes mcnerney liked this post

A guy named Dick Nite makes some spoons that work with fly rods they weigh about 1/32 oz in size 0.

Size #0 = 13/16" Spoon Blade
    #8 Eagle Claw (TM) Salmon Siwash Hooks
    1 & 11/16" Overall Length

They do not look like the spoons in your link as the hook hangs off the back like on a spinning lure spoon. He has lots of colors though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sevenweight View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Gold spoons are one of the top redfish lures in my part of FL for spinning and free spool tackle. I figured I'd give it a try on the fly rod if I could get some that are light and easy to cast, but based on what I've read here, I think I'll pass. My #1 fly for reds and snook, BTW, is the Puglisi Mullet. My reds eat crabs all day long but I find crab flies fished in a realistic manner over oyster bars get hung up about every third cast. Not worth the trouble.
    Even weed guarded patterns? I fish around a lot of oyster here in Texas and do get hung up once in a while, but nothing like every third cast. I believe I would also pass on fishing in a spot that gets me hung up that often. The biggest issue I have in the shell is hooked bigger fish running in between clumps of oyster and breaking off in the razor sharp bivalves.

It helps a ton if you can see the reef. Most reefs I fish are a lot like a mini mountain range with peaks and valleys. Avoid the peaks and fish the valleys. I generally won't throw into reef infested spots if I can't make out the bulk of the submerged or semi-submerged reef. But if I can pick out where most of the shell is, I'll try to put the fly right next to it rather than on top of it. Lots of times the redfish will show itself in that margin zone or crease anyway, but even if the fish isn't making its presence known there are creases in reefs that are worth a couple of probing casts based on history and experience. If a redfish is on top of the flooded shell, the drill usually is to watch and wait and hopefully it will move into a mostly shell free zone of casting opportunity.

I know some people don't like the shallow shell very much and will avoid it. But one upside is that it keeps a lot of the boat traffic away. Gel coat and oyster shell don't mix very well. Plus, it's usually a place redfish like to find their breakfast or lunch. I have been fishing heavily infested shell zones for years and the last several using the fly gear. Overall, it's my favorite place to find redfish.

15. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast