Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this?

Default Re: What is this?

Just when you think that you've seen 'em all.

Those guys must just live on the east coast?

I had no idea what I was pulling up.Didnt really want to touch it.Now I have been educated.Wont be such a sissy next time.

3. Default Re: What is this?

Will never forget the first one I caught. Was fishing for flounder in Rye Harbor, NH.with the old man. I think I was 7. "I got one Dad!" Over the side of the boat came a sea robin. Back over the side went the sea robin along with the rod and reel! Dad spent some time trying to foul hook an out of sight rod and I sulked in the bow. I'm glad to be a little taller now so I can see what's come over the side before it's in the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by patyer View Post
    Never thought one would smack a rapala like the one in the pic.
    Honestly, if I my life depended on it and I had to choose one piece of artificial bait to exist on, I'd pick that Original Rapala, in silver. It'll catch darn near anything.

Sep

Dt doug--- great story! They do look pretty scary.

Jimmy - there are a bunch of different species worldwide, and some folks refer to them as "gunards". Here in the Northeast the "common sea robin" is pretty widespread and often caught when fishing for fluke (summer flounder), striped bass and other fish when fishing on the bottom using bait. It's considered a trash fish by most. But as Sandfly mentioned the meat along the spine is said to be delicious and strips cut from the belly skin make a great tough, fluttering addition (like Uncle Josh pork rind) to hooks when using softer baits that tend to get stolen by crabs etc.

They are ugly, and the spines along the dorsal fin have a mild venom that can cause a while for punctures to heal if you get poked. Generally it's a good idea to have a pair of pliers or dehooker of some sort to remove hooks-- and the same waters are also bluefish territory so add another reason to carry pliers (blues have teeth that can do some damage).
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Sep View Post
    Honestly, if I my life depended on it and I had to choose one piece of artificial bait to exist on, I'd pick that Original Rapala, in silver. It'll catch darn near anything.

Sep
    Yeah, its a great lure.I have been catching quite a few schoolies(18" or so) with that and a 7 ft Shimano bass rod.Lots of fun.Couple of blues too, but small.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12