What is this?

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
That's a "sea robin"--- quite common along the eastern seaboard- Usually they're caught by folks fishing bait on the bottom, but they'll whack lures, tins and flies occasionally too. They're basically scavengers, and most folks consider them "trash fish"--- but some keep them and eat the meat in the tail which is said to be pretty tasty (white flesh, not oily) but i've never eaten one.

Great looking fish huh?-- they look like they were designed by a committee.

joshgamble

Reaction score
They look like a cross between a catfish and a bird of paradise. Are the safe to handle.They have a lot of dodgy looking tentacles.

peregrines

Reaction score
yes, just be careful to grab them behind the "wings" (pectoral fins), and fold down the dorsal fin before you pick them up. (They have sharp spines on the dorsal and pectoral fins that can stick you if you pick them up when the fin is raised). Those "tentacles" are actually the ventral fins that have evolved to act like legs--- sea robins are generally found on the bottom, and they can sort of walk along on those "legs" like a lobster. But as you see they will swim up to nail flies, plugs or tins (usually in shallow water).

patyer

Reaction score
Caught a bunch of them when I was younger bottom fishing off the Jersey coast. Never thought one would smack a rapala like the one in the pic.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Ran into a old friend on a Rhode Island beach last fall, so we fished the surf together just yards apart so that we could chat.
While I caught a few stripers, all he was picking up were sea robins.... one after another. :DLMFAO

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Another sea robin story.... I hope you can picture this :D

A couple of autumns ago I was out in my kayak fishing a blitz. Small bluefish on peanutbunker. There was maybe 10 or a dozen cormorants taking advantage of the frenzy. At one point a cormorant pops up right next to my kayak about an arms length away. About half way down the bird's throat was lodged a small sea robin. You could tell exactly what it was as the shape was obvious.... right down to those "wings" sticking straight out sideways in the cororant's throat
:yikes:

sandfly

Reaction score
The back meat along the spine is delious. my lab likes to play with them for hours. also good strip bait for stripers and such.

joshgamble

Reaction score
I had no idea what I was pulling up.Didnt really want to touch it.Now I have been educated.Wont be such a sissy next time.

dt doug

Reaction score
Will never forget the first one I caught. Was fishing for flounder in Rye Harbor, NH.with the old man. I think I was 7. "I got one Dad!" Over the side of the boat came a sea robin. Back over the side went the sea robin along with the rod and reel! Dad spent some time trying to foul hook an out of sight rod and I sulked in the bow. I'm glad to be a little taller now so I can see what's come over the side before it's in the boat!

peregrines

Reaction score
Dt doug--- great story! They do look pretty scary.

Jimmy - there are a bunch of different species worldwide, and some folks refer to them as "gunards". Here in the Northeast the "common sea robin" is pretty widespread and often caught when fishing for fluke (summer flounder), striped bass and other fish when fishing on the bottom using bait. It's considered a trash fish by most. But as Sandfly mentioned the meat along the spine is said to be delicious and strips cut from the belly skin make a great tough, fluttering addition (like Uncle Josh pork rind) to hooks when using softer baits that tend to get stolen by crabs etc.

They are ugly, and the spines along the dorsal fin have a mild venom that can cause a while for punctures to heal if you get poked. Generally it's a good idea to have a pair of pliers or dehooker of some sort to remove hooks-- and the same waters are also bluefish territory so add another reason to carry pliers (blues have teeth that can do some damage).

joshgamble

Reaction score
Honestly, if I my life depended on it and I had to choose one piece of artificial bait to exist on, I'd pick that Original Rapala, in silver. It'll catch darn near anything.

Sep
Yeah, its a great lure.I have been catching quite a few schoolies(18" or so) with that and a 7 ft Shimano bass rod.Lots of fun.Couple of blues too, but small.