Christmas Island Chronicles

smp005

Reaction score
I will chronicle my trip here as it unfolds... there of course will be a gap while I am on CXI as I do not expect to have any internet access.

Arrived in Honolulu yesterday via United. Uneventful flight - I actually enjoy staying ahead of the sun when flying, my body doesn’t mind it as much as flying east..

Staying at the Best Western hotel 5 min from the airport - close, easy and not too expensive.

Got up today and grabbed an Uber to the Honolulu Patagonia store - wanted a coup pair of their Quandary pants.

Walked down the street from the store to a local watering hole that has Modelo Especiale on tap :)

Presently I am on my second draft !

Jesse (HiTide) picks me up tomorrow at 5:45 to head out fishing for bones or whatever I can hook.

87 and sunny here - pretty awesome!! I’ll report on tomorrows fishing when I get done. Gonna head over to Nervous Waters Hawaii and grab some milk flies and last minute fly shop purchase when we get off the water tomorrow.

I just HAVE to patronize the local fly shop - do my part to stimulate the economy LOL!

Time for another Modelo - Scott checking out for now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

S

smcnearn

I will chronicle my trip here as it unfolds... there of course will be a gap while I am on CXI as I do not expect to have any internet access.

Arrived in Honolulu yesterday via United. Uneventful flight - I actually enjoy staying ahead of the sun when flying, my body doesn’t mind it as much as flying east..

Staying at the Best Western hotel 5 min from the airport - close, easy and not too expensive.

Got up today and grabbed an Uber to the Honolulu Patagonia store - wanted a coup pair of their Quandary pants.

Walked down the street from the store to a local watering hole that has Modelo Especiale on tap :)

Presently I am on my second draft !

Jesse (HiTide) picks me up tomorrow at 5:45 to head out fishing for bones or whatever I can hook.

87 and sunny here - pretty awesome!! I’ll report on tomorrows fishing when I get done. Gonna head over to Nervous Waters Hawaii and grab some milk flies and last minute fly shop purchase when we get off the water tomorrow.

I just HAVE to patronize the local fly shop - do my part to stimulate the economy LOL!

Time for another Modelo - Scott checking out for now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds like the right start to a great trip!

What are you targeting? What gear are you bringing? Backups? What lodge are you going to? Cost?

Literally just had a talk about planning a trip there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Scott
I'm really looking forward to hearing how your fishing goes tomorrow and on Christmas Island, what a dream trip, I'm jealous. :D:D

denver1911

Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing your stories!

Also to hearing what worked, what didn't, tips & tricks, gear list, etc.

smp005

Reaction score
Update from Hawaii...

Yesterday I fished for Bonefish with Jesse (HiTide). We were on the water by 6:30 am and fished till 3pm.

We fished the flats right by the airport with planes taking off right over our heads. The first couple hours we stalked tailing fish - there were quite a few bonefish tailing and some were BIG! I struggled casting - spooked some by by casting too close or on them and some that I just could not see and react in time. I had a tough time remembering to look 10ft in front of the fish and not at the fish when casting... Note - this was my first time fishing the flats and first time for bonefish (could not have picked a harder place) LOL.. I've fished for snook and redfish down south but never this..

No doubt stalking tailing bonefish can become addictive!! To me it's just like stalking rising trout except you don't have time to plan your approach and cast - you have to react instantly most of the time - that is gonna take some practice!!

Once the sun got higher in the sky the fish pretty much stopped tailing and we worked the flats from Jesse's flats boat. That was an experience! Mostly because I rarely could see the fish. I did had some good presentations but the fish simply were not taking the fly. That seemed to be the case with one of the other guides we spoke to as well. The fishing more or less just shutdown.

The wind picked up around noon and by 3pm was in full swing! Most of my casts were 20 - 35 feet so punching the wind wasn't that difficult - judging the distance and where to cast to was though!!!

one other observation - I spent time practicing my casting off the deck of my bassboat this past summer. While it helps, its just not the same.. Nothing will replace actual experience. I consider myself a decent caster - very accurate casting a dry fly to a rising trout or a popper to a working bass. But when you add the heavier equipment, the environmental conditions and all the initial confusion, it simply takes rod time on the flats (in my opinion anyway). It will a couple days for me to get it all together I am sure but that's OK - it is why I am here :)

We did have one on-going distraction throughout the day - The USAF F22s were taking off in pairs and the Navy F18s were taking off in threes - right over our heads. Being a USAF veteran, I simply stopped and watched them! i told Jesse I had seem thousands of Fighters take off and land in my career but I still love to watch it!

So... In the end... I didn't hook anything yesterday but to be honest, I did not really expect to given my inexperience on the flats. The day did give me that first experience flats fishing and the opportunity to work on "putting it all together" - the casting, line management, understanding the approach, seeing the fish... I'll be much more ready to go when I hit the water tomorrow in CXI!!

As I told Jesse, I will be coming back to spend a week or so in Hawaii with the wife in the future and catch some Hawaii bones!

Jesse has an excellent flats boat, great equipment (although I used my own) and is great guide - knowledgeable and patient!!!

Head to the airport in a few hours - next stop Christmas Island!!!

Oh BTW - Pictures will come after the trip when I get home :)

Scott out for now...

karstopo

Reaction score
Great report! Gosh, I love a report that includes the real struggles that is fly fishing. And you still had fun which is even better. I’d love to see an F-22 take off. I always look up at airplanes and especially if they sound different like a fighter.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
No doubt stalking tailing bonefish can become addictive!! To me it's just like stalking rising trout except you don't have time to plan your approach and cast - you have to react instantly most of the time.
That's right, you've got the idea. I too find these forms of fishing, my favorites, related...except trout continue to rise in their lie until you hook or slap them and dem bones are always grazing. Having only one real shot and at distance with wind is a challenge but you've got the idea and I imagine you will enjoy multiple opportunities daily at Christmas Island. Have a great trip and I look forward to your report on trevally fishing too.

smp005

Reaction score
Just landed in Honolulu and waiting for my flight on the mainland. I have so much to finish writing up and lots of pictures to figure out how to upload, I will get everything posted over the holida

For the moment - absolutely unbelievable place! I am definitely going back. Without question my best fishing trip to date!

Boarding plane - Scott out...

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Awesome! Well I know you went with the right guide while you were here on Oahu, I’m sure he gave you plenty of tips for CXI. Can’t wait to hear the report and see some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smp005

Reaction score
Day 1…

Checked in at FIJI airlines, no problems with my checked bag or cary on. I know several people had some fairly heavy bags and ended up paying a overweight fee. My checked bag was under 50 lbs but my carry on was more like 20 lbs instead of the allowed 10 lbs.

Fly was very nice - 737-200, good lunch and a movie. 3 hrs on the money and we were on the ground at Kirimati. Customs & Immigrations and Fishing license was quick and easy. $50.00 for the fishing license. About a twenty min ride to The Villages. Got assigned to our cabins, cracked a beer and waited for dinner.

This is the map painted on the wall of the dining room. It shows the different flats and where the lodge is:

Day 2 … First day of fishing: Guide - Tootene

Up for breakfast at 6:15am, grabbed my gear and walked the 40 yards to the beach and the waiting boats. They have a white board where the post which boat you are in and who your guide is each day. Your guide comes to your cabin and picks up your rods and takes them to the boat for you.

I actually lost count on how many bones I caught the first day, over 18 I know..

First day count:
- Bunch of bonefish
- Picasso Trigger
- Grouper!
- Blue Fin Trevally
- Yellow Snapper

I hooked a big trigger but he made t to his hole and we had to break it off. Lost a few bones throughout the day, biggest one I landed was a little over 4 lbs.

The wind was exceptionally strong today - casting was tough but not impossible! All my casts were under 35 feet, I did catch a few bones blind casting where the blue water meets the flats - those casts would start out at 40 - 50 yards - with the wind…

Day 3 - Second day of fishing - Guide - Daniel

So today, my guide Daniel worked with me to get where I could SEE the bonefish! We spent about two hours just working on seeing the fish. By the end of the day I was doing pretty good at picking up bones at around 30-35 feet. Beyond that was outside of my range so far!

Today was a bonefish day - all caught spot and stalk. I think around 6-8 fish today. Had a few shots at triggers but could not hook up.

Day 4 - Third day of fishing - Guide - Beirita

Today was 20mph sustained winds and LOT of clouds.. Fish were very hard to see. Caught a few bones, had a shot a a trigger or two. White caps were the order of the day!

Day 5 - Fourth day of fishing - Guide - Menty

A great day! The winds dies down a lot and the sun shined all day. Sighting fish was much easier - as easy as that can be LOL! There were three of us that spent the remaining days specifically targeting Triggers and GTs. The focus paid off as I caught a big Yellow Margin Trigger and a big Golden Trevally today along with a couple Yellow Snappers and a few bones!

My guide Menty was great and I learned a great deal from him. He explained the strategy and approach each time to went to a new area and man could he cast!!! He could nearly throw the entire fly line on my 12 weight directly into the wind - with a huge brush fly on! Definitely made me feel inadequate LOL!

Day 6 - Fifth day of fishing - Guide - Beia

Well the wind was back with a vengeance today. We spent the majority of the day on 9 mile flats - basically we would cross each flat sort of down the middle, moving very slowly looking for cruising GTs. Then we would work the edge of the flat - walking along where the green water met the blue water. The GTs hang in the bluewater and move up onto the flats following the schools of Milkfish and Mullet. You generally don’t have much time for a shot at them - usually 20 - 30 foot casts, often dead into the wind. We would also blind cats into the bluewater and strip the fly back as fast as possible. With the wind, I backcasted until I thought my arm was going to fall off!

Caught a couple BlueFins and Snapper, nothing much today. I carried two rods - a 10 wt and a 12wt - with rigged with GT flies. Saw some BIG bones on the flats but since I did not have a bonefish fly tied on, there wasn’t much chance they would really take it. I hd couple follow it a long way before losing interest though LOL!

Day 7 - Last day of fishing - Guide - Takita

We pulled out all the stops today!! My roommate Justin still had not caught a trigger and I was without a GT so we really got in the zone trying to fulfill our goals. The guides knew this and they really worked hard. Alas, 11 hours of hard core flats fishing as we both failed to connect with our chosen quarry. I did catch a bunch of Ladyfish and a BlueFin. The Lady fish are fun - they really jump! Problem is they take the fly deep in their mouths and trash about 2 inches of tippet so you have to retie after every catch.

I didn’t get my GT but I did finally see two and had legitimate shots at them. The first (25-30 lb size) was a quick short cast of 20ft. I started stripping and the fish missed the fly. There wasn’t enough room for him to try again so he headed for deep water. The second opportunity was a similar size one but he came at the fly from the line size and cut me off!

Summary - Probably the best fly fishing trip I have ever been on! There were 13 people in camp, two wives that fly fished a little and 11 guys. 5 of us were the totally focused, serious types - gear nuts, tying flies at night, etc. We were from different booking companies - most through Yellow Dog. There were two from the UK - great guys, serious fly fishermen. They were there for two weeks - after all, its a longs ways from England!

In my opinion, the Villages is the only camp to stay at. All the other camps have to drive to the lagoon each day in trucks to get to the boats, the Villages is right on the beach. 100ft and you are climbing aboard to head out. Also, all guiding at The Villages is one on one, my understanding is the other camps that is an extra fee.

Here are pictures of my cottage:

They rotate guides each day so you get to fish with 6 different guides. I had one that was young and I wasn’t really impressed with but the others were fantastic. One of my guides had 22 yrs of guiding, a couple had 11 or more.

No complaints about the food and there was always plenty for me. I did take a bag of cliff bars for extra energy if needed. They give each person 4 bottles of water each day, after that you purchase additional water. I simply kept a couple empty bottles, filled them from the picture and put them in the fridge for water around camp, at might and to brush my teeth with.

The one basic FACT OF LIFE - The better you can cast, the better your chances of hooking up (I think we all already knew that but I thought I would restate the obvious LOL! ) The wind blows pretty much constantly and we had one day that was pretty much sustained 20 MPH winds. No question I need to keep working on my “QUICK” casting - the ability to put a fly accurately on a spot 30-40 feet out in a matter of seconds straight into the wind - especially with a 12 weight!

Fish Pictures!!

Other notes

- Laundry is done daily for $20.00 for the week
- The bar has plenty of beer and sodas and they are not expensive
- Rooms have fridges and they bring you a pitcher of water as needed. You cannot drink the tap water (sorta like Mexico)
- No internet and no cell coverage
-

Flies:

As far as bonefish flies are concerned, there are really only two patterns that I needed, and they can be tied pretty basic. If you want to truly target Triggers, you need some flies tied on REALLY heavy, strong hooks.

The Christmas Island Special and the Worm Fly were magic for everyone in our group - 99% on size 6 with different weighted headed for skinny water and deeper water.

For GTs - the guides preferred 6/0 brush flies in red/black and black/silver - matches Mullet and Milkfish. I had some in 1/0 , 2/0 and 4/0 as well - worked better for the BlueFin and smaller GTs.

More to come!

Last edited:

camelbrass

Reaction score
Well done!! I'll bet your casting was a lot better at the end of the trip than at the beginning.

Very nice Yellow Margin Trigger and Golden Trevally, both trophy flats fish, those triggers are very addictive. A friend of mine describes chasing Bonefish in destinations like that akin to eating peanuts....nice for a bit but you get your fill quickly.

Regards,

Trevor

smp005

Reaction score
Well done!! I'll bet your casting was a lot better at the end of the trip than at the beginning.

Very nice Yellow Margin Trigger and Golden Trevally, both trophy flats fish, those triggers are very addictive. A friend of mine describes chasing Bonefish in destinations like that akin to eating peanuts....nice for a bit but you get your fill quickly.

Regards,

Trevor
The Triggers are definitely addictive! I could spend a week just chasing them.

denver1911

Reaction score
Thanks for the post! Sounds like you had a great time. Glad you caught a Picasso! I want to catch one when I go. Long story related to my mother getting me out of her hair by asking me to find the longest word in the encyclopedia when I was growing up. Humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa was the longest I could find. This is one of my earliest childhood memories and I can't believe I might have the chance to catch one.

Sorry there was no GT in your past .. but glad you have room for one in your future.

Thanks for the fly info. I've got plenty of CXI Specials in size 6, but will likely get a few more worms. Also, I have zero GT flies and will get 6/0 Brush Flies in red/black and black/silver.

smp005

Reaction score
Thanks for the post! Sounds like you had a great time. Glad you caught a Picasso! I want to catch one when I go. Long story related to my mother getting me out of her hair by asking me to find the longest word in the encyclopedia when I was growing up. Humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa was the longest I could find. This is one of my earliest childhood memories and I can't believe I might have the chance to catch one.

Sorry there was no GT in your past .. but glad you have room for one in your future.

Thanks for the fly info. I've got plenty of CXI Specials in size 6, but will likely get a few more worms. Also, I have zero GT flies and will get 6/0 Brush Flies in red/black and black/silver.
The Brits that were with us had two different flies they were using specifically for Triggers - I will take pictures and post...

smp005

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the boats:

Very effective - they swing it around so the outrigger comes along side the flat and you can step right up on it and walk over and site down....