Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Christmas Island Chronicles

Default Christmas Island Chronicles

I will chronicle my trip here as it unfolds... there of course will be a gap while I am on CXI as I do not expect to have any internet access.

Arrived in Honolulu yesterday via United. Uneventful flight - I actually enjoy staying ahead of the sun when flying, my body doesnít mind it as much as flying east..

Staying at the Best Western hotel 5 min from the airport - close, easy and not too expensive.

Got up today and grabbed an Uber to the Honolulu Patagonia store - wanted a coup pair of their Quandary pants.

Walked down the street from the store to a local watering hole that has Modelo Especiale on tap :-)

Presently I am on my second draft !

Jesse (HiTide) picks me up tomorrow at 5:45 to head out fishing for bones or whatever I can hook.

87 and sunny here - pretty awesome!! Iíll report on tomorrows fishing when I get done. Gonna head over to Nervous Waters Hawaii and grab some milk flies and last minute fly shop purchase when we get off the water tomorrow.

I just HAVE to patronize the local fly shop - do my part to stimulate the economy LOL!

Time for another Modelo - Scott checking out for now :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Default Re: Christmas Island Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by smp005 View Post
    I will chronicle my trip here as it unfolds... there of course will be a gap while I am on CXI as I do not expect to have any internet access.

Arrived in Honolulu yesterday via United. Uneventful flight - I actually enjoy staying ahead of the sun when flying, my body doesnít mind it as much as flying east..

Staying at the Best Western hotel 5 min from the airport - close, easy and not too expensive.

Got up today and grabbed an Uber to the Honolulu Patagonia store - wanted a coup pair of their Quandary pants.

Walked down the street from the store to a local watering hole that has Modelo Especiale on tap :-)

Presently I am on my second draft !

Jesse (HiTide) picks me up tomorrow at 5:45 to head out fishing for bones or whatever I can hook.

87 and sunny here - pretty awesome!! Iíll report on tomorrows fishing when I get done. Gonna head over to Nervous Waters Hawaii and grab some milk flies and last minute fly shop purchase when we get off the water tomorrow.

I just HAVE to patronize the local fly shop - do my part to stimulate the economy LOL!

Time for another Modelo - Scott checking out for now :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds like the right start to a great trip!

What are you targeting? What gear are you bringing? Backups? What lodge are you going to? Cost? Christmas Island Chronicles

Literally just had a talk about planning a trip there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes mcnerney, fishordie liked this post
    Farmington, ill. ( stop by for a cold beer on your way thru)

Scott, Hope you have a great trip and love the " running" trip report. Keep it comimg👍

I will enjoy hearing about your adventure

Kev

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Scott
    I'm really looking forward to hearing how your fishing goes tomorrow and on Christmas Island, what a dream trip, I'm jealous.
    Larry

7. Default Re: Christmas Island Chronicles

Looking forward to hearing your stories!

Also to hearing what worked, what didn't, tips & tricks, gear list, etc.

Update from Hawaii...

Yesterday I fished for Bonefish with Jesse (HiTide). We were on the water by 6:30 am and fished till 3pm.

We fished the flats right by the airport with planes taking off right over our heads. The first couple hours we stalked tailing fish - there were quite a few bonefish tailing and some were BIG! I struggled casting - spooked some by by casting too close or on them and some that I just could not see and react in time. I had a tough time remembering to look 10ft in front of the fish and not at the fish when casting... Note - this was my first time fishing the flats and first time for bonefish (could not have picked a harder place) LOL.. I've fished for snook and redfish down south but never this..

No doubt stalking tailing bonefish can become addictive!! To me it's just like stalking rising trout except you don't have time to plan your approach and cast - you have to react instantly most of the time - that is gonna take some practice!!

Once the sun got higher in the sky the fish pretty much stopped tailing and we worked the flats from Jesse's flats boat. That was an experience! Mostly because I rarely could see the fish. I did had some good presentations but the fish simply were not taking the fly. That seemed to be the case with one of the other guides we spoke to as well. The fishing more or less just shutdown.

The wind picked up around noon and by 3pm was in full swing! Most of my casts were 20 - 35 feet so punching the wind wasn't that difficult - judging the distance and where to cast to was though!!!

one other observation - I spent time practicing my casting off the deck of my bassboat this past summer. While it helps, its just not the same.. Nothing will replace actual experience. I consider myself a decent caster - very accurate casting a dry fly to a rising trout or a popper to a working bass. But when you add the heavier equipment, the environmental conditions and all the initial confusion, it simply takes rod time on the flats (in my opinion anyway). It will a couple days for me to get it all together I am sure but that's OK - it is why I am here :-)

We did have one on-going distraction throughout the day - The USAF F22s were taking off in pairs and the Navy F18s were taking off in threes - right over our heads. Being a USAF veteran, I simply stopped and watched them! i told Jesse I had seem thousands of Fighters take off and land in my career but I still love to watch it!

So... In the end... I didn't hook anything yesterday but to be honest, I did not really expect to given my inexperience on the flats. The day did give me that first experience flats fishing and the opportunity to work on "putting it all together" - the casting, line management, understanding the approach, seeing the fish... I'll be much more ready to go when I hit the water tomorrow in CXI!!

As I told Jesse, I will be coming back to spend a week or so in Hawaii with the wife in the future and catch some Hawaii bones!

Jesse has an excellent flats boat, great equipment (although I used my own) and is great guide - knowledgeable and patient!!!

Head to the airport in a few hours - next stop Christmas Island!!!

Oh BTW - Pictures will come after the trip when I get home :-)

Scott out for now...

9. Likes mcnerney, denver1911, flyminded, karstopo, jdp liked this post
    Blog Entries

Scott
    Sounds like an awesome day, thanks for sharing your experiences!
    Larry

Blog Entries

Great report! Gosh, I love a report that includes the real struggles that is fly fishing. And you still had fun which is even better. Iíd love to see an F-22 take off. I always look up at airplanes and especially if they sound different like a fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by smp005 View Post
    No doubt stalking tailing bonefish can become addictive!! To me it's just like stalking rising trout except you don't have time to plan your approach and cast - you have to react instantly most of the time.
    That's right, you've got the idea. I too find these forms of fishing, my favorites, related...except trout continue to rise in their lie until you hook or slap them and dem bones are always grazing. Having only one real shot and at distance with wind is a challenge but you've got the idea and I imagine you will enjoy multiple opportunities daily at Christmas Island. Have a great trip and I look forward to your report on trevally fishing too.