Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snook flies

Blog Entries

Default Snook flies

I did a search here and didnít find very much on what folks in places like Florida use for snook, fly wise.

I keep on seeing more snook being taken from my home waters here on the Upper Coast of Texas. A friend caught a 3-4 pound fish and thatís not big by Florida standards, but Iíd take one like that any chance I get. Iíve been on one snook trip a month or two ago here, but went home without a sniff.

I have potential access to a private small pier with lights in potential snook water and could go the nighttime under the lights route, but would rather be out in the day.

Seems like most of the fish here locally are coming from tidal creeks and rivers around hard structure like driftwood, pilings, and oyster reefs near deeper water.

Any suggestions on flies, sizes, colors, that work in FLA. I could do a search on Google or Safari, but itís nice to see if anyone here has some special favorites or techniques. There isnít a huge evident fly fishing effort being made at snook here and not a ton of information about them. Most of the catches are coming on plugs and soft plastics. I could just use my redfish and speckled trout flies, but maybe there are ways to ďtuneĒ those patterns to be more snooky.

2. Default Re: Snook flies

White clousers with a dark top and shrimp imitators for the dock lights.

3. Likes karstopo liked this post

Default Re: Snook flies

Enrico Puglisi Mullet.

5. Thanks karstopo thanked for this post

Baitfish patterns seem to get a good reaction for me, usually tied on a 1/0 - though I’ve never done the dock lights when it would seem logical that shrimp patterns would also be effective.

7. Likes karstopo liked this post

Around here there's a really effective Albie fly known as the Marabou Estaz. Named, of course for the ingredients used to tie it.
    But interestingly enough, the exact same fly as was originated for snook is called a Crystal Schminnow

Marabou Estaz

Crystal Schminnow
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.Ē --- Horace Kephart

9. Likes karstopo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Around here there's a really effective Albie fly known as the Marabou Estaz. Named, of course for the ingredients used to tie it.
    But interestingly enough, the exact same fly as was originated for snook is called a Crystal Schminnow

Marabou Estaz

Crystal Schminnow
    Kind of saltwater buggers, they are. White and/or flashy seems to be the common denominator for a lot of snook patterns. Nothing I’ve seen so far looks out of place in a box for speckled trout.

Use various flies, by size for time of year. Winter is smallest fly. No more than 1"...... shhh don't tell. Snook are agressive eaters. They will take all sorts of flies. Baitfish imitations are primarily used. Have caught more fish on Deciever patterns than any other.
    White flashy stuff works best at night under lights. Unless someplace out of the ordinary. Three color variations. White w/herl top, red head. Chartreuse and white w/herl , and black or dark olive/brown.
    Although agressive eaters , fish are wary when laid up. When trying to coax fish from cover. Your fly might need to land 75 or 80' from you. This during daylight hours. Casting distances shorten at night. Sometimes during day fish will.cruise breaches. Being in deeper water or with quick access to it does add to their bravado. Fish can be targeted closer than in skinny water.

......... pc

12. Likes karstopo liked this post

My first and only snook was caught recently. Polar fiber minnow. White with a green back. The shminnow is what has been recommended to me. Check Ole Florida Fly Shop website for a video on tying the polar fiber minnow.

14. Likes karstopo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Our local snook are probably close to if not already wiped out due to the cold weather and water that goes with it. And now we have another even long duration colder blast of Arctic air on the way. Water temperatures have been around 50 in the deeper areas and colder in shallow spots.

Itís seems to be just a little too cold here for snook. Several mild winters let them expand north from the southernmost part of Texas. Maybe some will find a way to survive, but it doesnít look very promising.

We experienced the same thing in the Lowcountry about 8-10 winters back. Haven’t seen or heard of any since ...and after next weeks forecast artic blast I doubt we will again for sometime.

17. Likes karstopo liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast