Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  19
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Best Bonefish Time?

Not ever having been to Hawaii, I of course would love to visit, and knowing you get more visitors by far than those of you who are residents, I can only imagine how much pressure there is on your limited flats environment. All bonefish I believe are seeing more anglers everywhere. I appreciate I am in a minority in this opinion but I have been fashioning my flies to be more match-the-hatch imitative of both shrimps and crabs in an effort to not show a fish something that has already alarmed him and reduce his suspicion. No, I am not attributing cognitive reasoning to fish...I barely do to us humans...I'm simply striving to increase his confidence in eating my offering. Plus I like fishing flies that don't look like Gotchas.

B07 Andros 305 Franklin's Snapping Shrimp(sm.).jpg

All this has got me going again for a bucket bone and permit. Being maybe five hours north of Miami makes it a multi day trip for me to go to Islamorada but at 63 I need make the run again. Soon!
    Last time down the weather killed us. First tropical of the year formed right over KW the first week of June the day after I arrived. Did see two bones wading ocean side of Lower Matacumbe. Second one was walking beach with wife and didn't have a rod. It paralleled the beach for 75 yards. Augh! NEVER not have a rod with you.Then winds and torrential rains hit that night and turned it milky blue green everywhere.
    Hoping the Banana River gets better after the algae bloom killed it two years ago. Jumbo seatrout don't run like a bone but are just as smart and hard to fool the really big ones.

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

That's interesting,and probably why C.I.is such an iconic destination inasmuch as there's just so many fish....but like all Bonefish they will spook off a fly line or heavy leader/tippet.Anyone who thinks that Bonefishing is easy ought to take up stalking the big ones,as it's reasonably common to manage up to 50 fish in a day on C.I.when they're all what we refer to as "nursery fish"

Here in Hawaii the larger darker green fish are the ones I like to call “Homeguards” or “Mossbacks” they are much more educated and spend more time on the reef because they have to feed more to support their size. They frequent the same territory day after day and develop hunting routines. They are very pressured fish and very hard to fool. The silvery “Freshies” are usually smaller new to the reef dumb fish that have been out spawning in deeper water, and are way more willing to take a fly. Often big schools of the Freshies will show up to a flat and establish a hunting pattern where they can be seen at a certain area at certain times of the tide as they start a daily pattern. At first the action is great as a few fish can be caught until gradually they smarten up and won’t eat the fly. Eventually some day these Freshies will become Homeguards as they grow larger and darken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes flyminded liked this post

When various species are spoken of. I believe sub-species would be actual intent of comments made.

Saw coloration of fish mentioned. Other than fish moving, or just new to an area. This is easy to know. Look at surroundings. Fish adapt to them according to light. And this is in tone of color. Low light, dark days, fish are a darker version of themselves on bright, sunny days.
    Clear days on white sand flats. The fish will appear white. Lower light same place. More a cream color.
    Sand & grass flat, fish will have greenish or greyish flecks. White or darker depending on light.
    Grass flats, a blue-green color. Low light blue/grey
    In deep water a pale blue-green. And darker, low light.
    Along reefs, shoreline reefs. A grey color.
    All of this on calm days. Windy days when sediment colors water. Fish will pick up the color of the majority of sediment. Which often is the same as fish on mud flats. Being a dirty yellow or ocher.

Dark backs do not necessarily mean deep water fish. Larger fish will at times darken to absorb heat . Staying dark while on flat. Early season thing.

........ pc

Here is another example of the two fish I mentioned... you can tell which is which.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldskewl808 View Post
    Here is another example of the two fish I mentioned... you can tell which is which.
    The easiest way to ID a Hawaiian deepwater sharpjaw bone from the shallow water roundjaw is to look for a yellow-green fingernail-size spot just behind the base of the pectoral fins. The roundjaw doesn’t have this patch of color.

Bonefish.jpg

One thing not mentioned is that I’ve noticed that the two types of Hawaiian bonefish seem to spawn on the night of the full moon. Do the bones at other locations leave the shallows to spawn at this time too?
    Last edited by ratchet; 01-20-2018 at 10:58 PM.

They don't actually change color. It is chromatophores in the skin. Cells that expand or contract to increase or decrease the amount of pigmentation that is visible. The color is the same, but the amount that is visible can change, so if the fish is in a dark environment, the cells expand to expose more pigment; in a light environment, as in shallow water above a sandy bottom, the cells contract and less pigment is seen. Fish that have moved from deeper water onto a sandy flat will be darker and then lighten as they adjust to the surroundings, and vice versa.

Not that I've ever seen one...

...but here's hoping.

10. Likes pnc, flyminded liked this post
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

That's correct,they don't change colour at will like a chameleon but they do adapt their colouration to the environment.For instance,the darker and more prominently green Bonefish that inhabit the ocean flats down the end of C.I. are that colour because of the mostly darker bottom strata there....conversely the chrome fish you see/don't see on the blinding white clear flats of the lagoon proper.
    P.S.Note English spelling of "color"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234