Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Best Bonefish Time?

I’m interested in your quest, too, MJ. These diy adventures always suck me in. Looks like you are getting some great tips from the pros. Keep us in the loop.

pnc's observations on bonefish holes and flats edge drop offs is important. A wonderful thing is to stand in skinny water with a pale bottom at the early stage of an incoming and watch pods of bonefish, their backs blue and barring distinct from being in deeper water, stream onto the flat from a slight depression in the edge of their trough. Hungry, the first shrimp they find is your fly cast with your brand new bonefish rod, fresh line and long leader...a long, firm strip-strike and you're off to the races.

It really depends on what species of Bonefish you are targeting, but in the Keys you really have to put time on the flats and get to know them. Prime times will differ from flat to flat depending on water depth. Adjustments have to be made to adapt to the different conditions and stages of the tide. So there really is no general best time, just best place to be during certain conditions. Usually both sides of the prime water depth times, outgoing, and then incoming will be the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes flyminded liked this post
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

oldskewl808 said:"It really depends on what species of Bonefish you are targeting"...Well that's interesting,as habit wise I thought Bonefish are Bonefish.I've fished for the two principal species that inhabit Florida and the western Pacific,including C.I.(Albula Vulpes) and the (generally larger) species that inhabit Tahiti,Hawaii and Aitutaki (Albula Argentia & Albula Glossondonta)

6. Thanks sweetandsalt thanked for this post

Wow, I've bonefished for pushing 40 years and I did not know there where three species! Cool. Most of my fishing is in the Bahamas but I fish Florida and have fished Mexico and Belize too. The one notable behavioral difference I've observed is the proximity or lack there of, of extensive mangroves in which bonefish retreat to to hide and feed at a high tide. Also, ocean flats with immediate proximity to the deep fish differently than island interior flats like the Andros Bights for good example.

Dynaflow and skewl, are there mangrove lagoons in your habitats? Pictures I've seen of Christmas Island don't seem to have them, is this accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Wow, I've bonefished for pushing 40 years and I did not know there where three species! Cool. Most of my fishing is in the Bahamas but I fish Florida and have fished Mexico and Belize too. The one notable behavioral difference I've observed is the proximity or lack there of, of extensive mangroves in which bonefish retreat to to hide and feed at a high tide. Also, ocean flats with immediate proximity to the deep fish differently than island interior flats like the Andros Bights for good example.

Dynaflow and skewl, are there mangrove lagoons in your habitats? Pictures I've seen of Christmas Island don't seem to have them, is this accurate?
    I think there are about 8 different species of Bonefish. We have 2 species here in Hawaii and they behave differently and usually inhabit different areas. Yes we have some wonderful mangrove habitat though the state considers red mangrove invasive and is trying to eradicate it.

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

There's no Mangroves on C.I.and that may be a factor in behaviour variation of the Bonefish where they do occur.That's why Kiritimati and the western pacific is such a mecca for Bonefishing as the flats are clean apart from coral and bits of rubble.Having said that,Mangroves are the lungs of the ocean and vital to species breeding and shelter.
    oldskewl1808....is the Red Mangrove an introduced species in Hawaii?

Quote Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
    There's no Mangroves on C.I.and that may be a factor in behaviour variation of the Bonefish where they do occur.That's why Kiritimati and the western pacific is such a mecca for Bonefishing as the flats are clean apart from coral and bits of rubble.Having said that,Mangroves are the lungs of the ocean and vital to species breeding and shelter.
    oldskewl1808....is the Red Mangrove an introduced species in Hawaii?
    Yes it is not native and considered invasive. They have already eradicated much of what once existed at the Hickam Flats.

Quote Originally Posted by flyminded View Post
    ...what’s the worse thing that can happen ...
    Sunburn.

Funny story: I'm a native Floridian, born in West Palm Beach in 1961. Practically grew up on the beach. I can't remember learning to swim... most likely because I learned to swim at an age before most of us develop coherent memories. Sunscreen is a thing other people started using a few decades ago, but it didn't exist when I developed my tan, and I'd never had a need for it. Coppertone was it, but that was for tourists... that and that white zinc oxide that lifeguards smeared on their noses. One day, some time between 10 and 15 years ago, I noticed that I had a sore spot in the middle of my scalp, on the top of my head. Couldn't figure out why. Then it occurred to me that I had been out in the sun for a while the day before... and apparently the sore spot on my head corresponded to the thinning patch on my scalp. It was sunburn. That was the day I started feeling old...

12. Likes flyminded liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    I’m interested in your quest, too, MJ. These diy adventures always suck me in. Looks like you are getting some great tips from the pros. Keep us in the loop.
    I will keep you posted. My plan at this point is:

1: Pack up the kayak and gear in the car one night next week
    2: Go to bed
    3: Get up, have coffee, think about driving south

That's it so far...

14. Likes karstopo, peaks2creeks liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast