Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Best Bonefish Time?

On the subject of species. I believe, though could be wrong. What would be more accurate is that there are sub-species. As with snook or bluefish as well as other species of fish.
    From another post time of year is different in other locales. Water temps the same. Don't think fish habits are so much different. As is the source of prey. I believe the keys is the only spot that clams are not the number one source of food. Shrimp & crabs being #'s 1& 2.

..... .... pc

2. Default Re: Best Bonefish Time?

I'm in the same area as OP and these thoughts of DIY bonefish are starting to take ahold of me !

3. Likes karstopo liked this post
  4. Default Re: Best Bonefish Time?

I am primarily a guided skiff flats...because I live in the mid west and fish FLA and Andros on a limited yearly basis and only have a limited time to flats, sight fish thus to maximize sighting it's the guided skiff. One exception westside of Biscayne Bay with Cordell aka bonefishwhisperer in the canoe...that's comparable to your 'yak but you cannot stand or can you?? What I would do is...the day...flat calm just before sunrise westside start of the falling tide about 100 yards off the mangroves looking east sun coming at your back...you've got visibility nearly 180 degrees coming out of the mangroves...the start of the learning curve. Biscayne Bonefish are not easy to follow after the first sight but they are big and IMHO worth the effortBiscayne1.jpgBicayne2.jpg

5. Likes sweetandsalt, karstopo, flyminded liked this post

Oldskewl808 is correct that there are 2 bonefish species in Hawaii. The shallow water species is called “round jaw” and the deep water version is called the “sharp jaw”. There is one location in Honolulu where I have hooked many hundreds of sharp jaws on bait in 60 ft. of water at night but never a round jaw. Likewise, on a reef flat 4 miles alway, round jaws are the only type of bonefish that I have hooked fly fishing at that location. I have not heard that these 2 types of bonefish school together.

The one thing not mentioned is that feeding bonefish are always on the move. They may seem like they roam haphazardly around the flats, they actually move with purpose. On a big flat and they haven’t been harrassed by heavy fishing pressure, you can watch them tail and splash happily as they make their way into the shallows. If you don’t follow them closely, they will swim past you and quickly disperse. On the falling tide, they will move in the reverse direction as they leave the flats. The tip is to keep moving and try keep in front of the feeding fish. Casting a fly directly in front of several actively feeding fish usually result in a hookup as you take advantage of their competitive spirit.

If you spot a cruising fish that doesn’t tail, this usually means they are on to your presences and are trying to locate your exact position. These spooked fish will rarely eat a fly. These fish are what makes fly fishing for bones so challenging.

Interesting story... The other day I saw a sizable tailing fish. I made a cast to it and got its attention. The fish swam right at the Fly with a vengeance, and I thought it would eat for sure. Instead the fish peeled off at the last second and lazily swam straight toward me without spooking. It got within a few feet of me and I got a fantastic view of it staring right at me. It was the same fish I had caught a week earlier not 50 feet from the same location! I know this because it had a very recognizable scar, and a little nub of a tag on its back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

That is a cracking Bonefish and a great pic mate

9. Likes oldskewl808 liked this post
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

There was some conjecture a while back between our small group of Bonefish afficionados about a possible different species of Bonefish down at the end of Kiritimati (C.I.) known collectively as the Korean Wreck, due to the fact that the ocean flats fish there were noticeably greener and more prominently marked than the fish in the lagoon,however we soon came to the conclusion that this was merely an adaptation of the same species due to habitat.The bonus was that these fish were much easier to see than the chrome "ghost of the flats" that inhabit most of the lagoon proper.They also pull harder

11. Likes flyminded liked this post

My limited experience, in the Bahamas, suggests and I’ve be told ....that darker colored fish are usually deeper water fish ie. Open ocean fish rather than regular flats dwellers.

That is a good story and image too, oldskewel...next time show him a different fly perhaps.

All bonefish require access to deeper water but my Bahamian experience is the same, dynaflow. Fish on flats adjacent to the sea are darker and more prominently barred and ones on inside flats with deeper channels are paler.

As I write this morning, snow is falling outside my window. I'm feeling paler myself and would surly like to be plying a flat...anywhere.

Bonefish do learn from past mistakes and the heavily pressured bones on Oahu, Hawaii have been caught more than once. Ever watched a bone run over and take a good look at your fly. Suspecting something funny, they circle until they see the leader and slowly swim parallel with your fly line until they see you and then spook. They seem to know what a flyline is and will not swim under it. They also seem to have learned that a mud track in the water is usually from a wading human and they will sneak up behind you and suddenly explode when they ID you. That behavior always scares the daylights out of me when they are 10lbs+ fish in a foot of water.

15. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast