Best Bonefish Time?

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I've gotten every possible answer: outgoing tide, incoming tide, early in the morning, late in the day, yada yada yada. :faint:

Opinions?

Assume the fishing location is the Key Largo/Islamorada area, either wading right off the beach or on flats reached by kayak.

pnc

Reaction score
Time of day may make a difference being fish are more comfortable in low light when being in shallow water. Hence the sunrise, sunset thing. Tide cycles may have more influence. Especially when favorable tides coincide with low light. Fish in the keys can be found east or west of the islands. More than anyplace else keys bonefish move from one place to another as tides change. Possibly giving them longer feeding periods on a daily basis than elsewhere. Which might account for keys fish being bigger than anyplace else.
Temperature could be part of fish size. As big bones prefer cooler temps. And Biscayne bay is about the northern most point in their range. Yes, they have been caught north of Biscayne. But not on a regular basis, and noplace that would be a bonefish destination.
Best times of the year are in spring and fall. Usually April & November. Though a month earlier in either case is better for bigger fish. Bigger fish will start being more active when temps reach 60 F. Small fish 65. Both start to decline when temps reach 85 degrees. Small fish not as fast as bigger one's. As big fish like or tolerate cooler water. Same is true for small fish and warm water. Both are most active in 75 to 85 degree water.
I think when wading and not thoroughly knowledgeable of a flat. That stalking might be best. Though with knowledge of flat areas fished can be more productive. Fish will use deepest water possible to move onto flats. They also don't like being far from deep water that can be used as an escape route. Keep in mind deep water on flats might be only a few inches deeper than surrounding water. I've seen fish using prop scares over sand. Slightest of depressions to move about.
Been thinking of heading south soon. Canals north of I 75 are supposed to be best in winter, low water. Was thinking late Febuary or beginning of March to try out hackle crabs on bonefish.
Let me know when if your going. Have friends that run charters out of Islamorada. Two of which I'll tell I'm taking their boat. If not booked up, which usually means nighttime. Other is a 38' Henriques (not sure of spelling). Off shore, sailfish, tuna, never know. Big diesels eat up fuel. Pioleting is no problem. Did that 35 yrs ago at times when mate on same boat for tournaments in NE. We've been going out at least once a year since boat was moved here about 15 yrs ago. Thinking about it I need a weeks time...... lol.

........ pc

Last edited:

flyminded

Reaction score
Pnc has a lot of good insight.

For me anytime I can go after Bonefish is a good time.

Knowledge/experience of a Flat is key ....I do a lot of diy for Bonefish and once I find a Flat, with fish on it, either by wading of kayaking I tend to spend time observing different tides, different times etc. Bonefish pretty much have a regular territory, excluding times of freak weather ie storms and cold.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
pnc's post is very good. I'll add that the upper Keys are very tough and, unless something wonderful has occurred, have far fewer bonefish than in the past before the Big Freeze...and they were the most difficult bones then too. Pennekamp State Park off Key Largo might be a good kayak access area. Back when, there were lots of bonefish and no motorized boats there. Wading from shore access in Islamorada is limited and much inshore water is too disturbed by human activity to be productive bonefish habitat. Bonefish are spooky, skittish, nervous and spooky. I like Biscayne Bay but have only fished it out of guide's skiffs. Actually, I've only fished the Keys out of skiffs as well. If you have a passion for pursuing bonefish via wading on your own, I strongly recommend the Bahamas. I did that for decades but now prefer to fish with an accomplished guide from a skiff, only wading in particular skinny water.

Unless they are tailing, cruising bonefish are hard to see in the low angled light of morning and evening, though I enjoy being on the flats at those times. Bonefish like moving water so a good incoming and out going tide sees more feeding fish, I have a long preference for a strong incoming, I like to intercept fish coming from deeper water to feed than ones coming out of mangroves toward deeper water.

For me to bonefish, I have to book airplane tickets in advance. Hence I target mid March through mid April and late October into November. I don't want to arrive with a cold front nor a hurricane. Plus I have a date with trout starting the end of April. An old friend of mine who has been a Florida resident much of his adult life says, "Florida is a great place to fish...if you live here. Conditions can be great most any time but planning to fish particular dates in advance can often coincide with crumby weather". Like you have recently had.

flav

Reaction score
Unless they are tailing, cruising bonefish are hard to see in the low angled light of morning and evening, though I enjoy being on the flats at those times. Bonefish like moving water so a good incoming and out going tide sees more feeding fish, I have a long preference for a strong incoming, I like to intercept fish coming from deeper water to feed than ones coming out of mangroves toward deeper water.
That's been my experience as well, although my time on the flats has been rather limited. I've seen plenty of fish in low light, but because of the light you can't see them unless they're tailing. Unless the water is super skinny they disappear and reappear as they wander around the flat making it extremely difficult to know where to cast. It's also hard to tell how a fish is reacting to, or if it's eaten, your fly. So for visibility alone I prefer to fish when the sun is high, then at least I'll have a chance of seeing the fish, and making a decent presentation.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Pennekamp State Park off Key Largo might be a good kayak access area. Back when, there were lots of bonefish and no motorized boats there.
I got that recommendation from a Key West guide, too, so that is a distinct possibility.

Been thinking of heading south soon. Canals north of I 75 are supposed to be best in winter, low water. Was thinking late Febuary or beginning of March to try out hackle crabs on bonefish.
New line for the Meridian should be here tomorrow. Business obligations will keep me here for a few days, but that obligation may include a drive north to Ft Pierce, so I may have a chance to try the new rod inshore this weekend. After Monday, though, a run down to Biscayne or Islamorada is possible.

For me to bonefish, I have to book airplane tickets in advance.
Biscayne Bay is an hour away for me; Islamorada is two hours. Half an hour to unload and inflate the kayak. That's the reason that I am asking advice of folks with way more experience than I have. I can be there at sunrise, sunset, high tide, low tide, incoming, outgoing, whatevs... I just need to know when to go.

An old friend of mine who has been a Florida resident much of his adult life says, "Florida is a great place to fish...if you live here. Conditions can be great most any time but planning to fish particular dates in advance can often coincide with crumby weather".
One reason that I like my inflatables. I can load the car for the morning, and if the weather looks crappy, I can just leave it in there until the next day... or the next... or the next...

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
It's interesting to read the observations and experiences of Bonefish habits from Forumites on the other side of the world,and it seems that these fish have similar traits elsewhere but with variations on a theme.For instance on C.I.the best months are in the middle part of the year,given that the peak spawning run is july/August.It also rains more often on the island in the earlier part of the year.The sea temperature is around the same year round,varying between 68 and 80 degrees F...the ideal temp being 78 degrees.Bonefish feed better on a rising tide in the morning....but not too early if you're wading as you won't really see fish until the sun is up.There's much to be said for Neap tides too as there's more water for a longer time and less current on the flats,and the bonus of less milky water.We time all our trips to coincide with Moon phases more than any other factors btw.Good luck!

pnc

Reaction score
Saw mention of spotting fish & tide stages.
During lighted conditions shadows are easier to spot right off than fish. Depth of water and height of sun will give you idea to where fish is. Bonefish leave signs of activity that help.finding fish. Their digs or cavities left on bottom feeding will tell if fish have been there. Number of these indicate how many fish. Size, size of fish. What is important is coloration around and in hole. Sharpness of the edges. These indicate how recently hole was made. Dark bottom and ring around hole with sharp edges. Start looking for mud clouds big or small depending on how many fresh holes you find. Older holes fill in and colors become that of surrounding bottom. Holes from fish, while round have an oblong shape made from fish pushing debrie. More Is usually pushed up to one end. This is a good way to find fish that are more catchable than those easier to find.
Tailing fish can be spotted from a distance. Fish actively feeding. Yet these fish are in the most skitish form of feeding. Easily spooked, switch to at least 12' leader on way to fish.
Flash of light may be seen when fish turns in water. Back & forth in given direction calls for a cast. Fish tend to zig-zag when eating almost grazing like sheep.
Many people struggle to spot fish because they don't undetstand what they are looking for. You look for a cameleon that blends into its enviorment. Fish change color to match where they are. When you see a light colored fish or dark in areas with contrasting bottom. Chance are fish just got there. Looking for moving shapes lighter or darker than bottem is always a good idea.
Make the tides quick. Incoming fish are moving in looking for food. Anticipating direction and putting fly in direction. Are key, as well as timing. Or distance fly lands from fish so it sinks to bottom at some point in view of approaching fish. Early stages fish often congregate in deeper water waiting for another inch of water before moving in. Try along drop offs in early stages of incoming tide.
Approach to outgoing tide is different. Those same drop offs may again hold fish waiting for prey to be washed to them. Find a good stream of water probably a cut in bottom flowing out and where that goes there could be fish.
I don't think fish stop feeding other than moving from one spot to another depending on tide.

......... pc

mjkirshner

Reaction score
On my way back north from Key West several months ago, I saw a skiff on a flat near a kayak launch, and I thought it might be a spot worth a try. Upper Matecumbe Key. Two hours from home. I may try there or Pennekamp. Late next week looks promising. A lot of water moving from late morning through late afternoon. But I figure any time will be good if I'm standing on a flat in the Keys with a brand new bonefish rod.

flyminded

Reaction score
But I figure any time will be good if I'm standing on a flat in the Keys with a brand new bonefish rod.
My kind of thinking ....what’s the worse thing that can happen ....you learn something about that flat ....well there’s worse, but I ignore them and apply common sense.

karstopo

Reaction score
I’m interested in your quest, too, MJ. These diy adventures always suck me in. Looks like you are getting some great tips from the pros. Keep us in the loop.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
pnc's observations on bonefish holes and flats edge drop offs is important. A wonderful thing is to stand in skinny water with a pale bottom at the early stage of an incoming and watch pods of bonefish, their backs blue and barring distinct from being in deeper water, stream onto the flat from a slight depression in the edge of their trough. Hungry, the first shrimp they find is your fly cast with your brand new bonefish rod, fresh line and long leader...a long, firm strip-strike and you're off to the races.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
It really depends on what species of Bonefish you are targeting, but in the Keys you really have to put time on the flats and get to know them. Prime times will differ from flat to flat depending on water depth. Adjustments have to be made to adapt to the different conditions and stages of the tide. So there really is no general best time, just best place to be during certain conditions. Usually both sides of the prime water depth times, outgoing, and then incoming will be the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dynaflow

Reaction score
oldskewl808 said:"It really depends on what species of Bonefish you are targeting"...Well that's interesting,as habit wise I thought Bonefish are Bonefish.I've fished for the two principal species that inhabit Florida and the western Pacific,including C.I.(Albula Vulpes) and the (generally larger) species that inhabit Tahiti,Hawaii and Aitutaki (Albula Argentia & Albula Glossondonta)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Wow, I've bonefished for pushing 40 years and I did not know there where three species! Cool. Most of my fishing is in the Bahamas but I fish Florida and have fished Mexico and Belize too. The one notable behavioral difference I've observed is the proximity or lack there of, of extensive mangroves in which bonefish retreat to to hide and feed at a high tide. Also, ocean flats with immediate proximity to the deep fish differently than island interior flats like the Andros Bights for good example.

Dynaflow and skewl, are there mangrove lagoons in your habitats? Pictures I've seen of Christmas Island don't seem to have them, is this accurate?

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Wow, I've bonefished for pushing 40 years and I did not know there where three species! Cool. Most of my fishing is in the Bahamas but I fish Florida and have fished Mexico and Belize too. The one notable behavioral difference I've observed is the proximity or lack there of, of extensive mangroves in which bonefish retreat to to hide and feed at a high tide. Also, ocean flats with immediate proximity to the deep fish differently than island interior flats like the Andros Bights for good example.

Dynaflow and skewl, are there mangrove lagoons in your habitats? Pictures I've seen of Christmas Island don't seem to have them, is this accurate?
I think there are about 8 different species of Bonefish. We have 2 species here in Hawaii and they behave differently and usually inhabit different areas. Yes we have some wonderful mangrove habitat though the state considers red mangrove invasive and is trying to eradicate it.

dynaflow

Reaction score
There's no Mangroves on C.I.and that may be a factor in behaviour variation of the Bonefish where they do occur.That's why Kiritimati and the western pacific is such a mecca for Bonefishing as the flats are clean apart from coral and bits of rubble.Having said that,Mangroves are the lungs of the ocean and vital to species breeding and shelter.
oldskewl1808....is the Red Mangrove an introduced species in Hawaii?

oldskewl808

Reaction score
There's no Mangroves on C.I.and that may be a factor in behaviour variation of the Bonefish where they do occur.That's why Kiritimati and the western pacific is such a mecca for Bonefishing as the flats are clean apart from coral and bits of rubble.Having said that,Mangroves are the lungs of the ocean and vital to species breeding and shelter.
oldskewl1808....is the Red Mangrove an introduced species in Hawaii?
Yes it is not native and considered invasive. They have already eradicated much of what once existed at the Hickam Flats.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
...what’s the worse thing that can happen ...
Sunburn.

Funny story: I'm a native Floridian, born in West Palm Beach in 1961. Practically grew up on the beach. I can't remember learning to swim... most likely because I learned to swim at an age before most of us develop coherent memories. Sunscreen is a thing other people started using a few decades ago, but it didn't exist when I developed my tan, and I'd never had a need for it. Coppertone was it, but that was for tourists... that and that white zinc oxide that lifeguards smeared on their noses. One day, some time between 10 and 15 years ago, I noticed that I had a sore spot in the middle of my scalp, on the top of my head. Couldn't figure out why. Then it occurred to me that I had been out in the sun for a while the day before... and apparently the sore spot on my head corresponded to the thinning patch on my scalp. It was sunburn. That was the day I started feeling old...

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I’m interested in your quest, too, MJ. These diy adventures always suck me in. Looks like you are getting some great tips from the pros. Keep us in the loop.
I will keep you posted. My plan at this point is:

1: Pack up the kayak and gear in the car one night next week
2: Go to bed
3: Get up, have coffee, think about driving south

That's it so far...