inexpensive 8 wgt salt water fly reel

wls

Reaction score
Going spend 2 weeks in Florida during the last 2 weeks of March. I will take my 8 wgt but need an inexpensive reel and line recommendation. Will probably not salt water fish again so don't want to spend much. I have $175 in cabela's/bass pro shop gift cards. Any suggestions for this cheap steak?
WLS749

bluechipfish

Reaction score
the behemoth looks like a nice reel, does anyone have experience with it? I've heard it's heavy?

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Cabela's has a Sage 2280 for $149. For fish like redfish, trout and snook it will be adequate.
For speedster's like bonefish you may want something else.

pnc

Reaction score
If you have to ! (will get to it) And already have an 8w rod. A Piscifun, sword or blaze. Can be had for around 40.- on Amazon. Not sealed, but plenty reel for the money.
However since you plan on not again fishing salt (guessing you haven't). I'd say don't do it. If your happy fishing where you are. Nearby home. Stay happy. Chances are your going to ruin that with your plans. Leave the rod home. God's honest truth. Sorry just the way it is.
On the other hand. Where in Florida are you going to be ?:icon_twis

........ pc

bluechipfish

Reaction score
Agree with pc. Just got a Piscifun Sword 9wt in the mail. It's an unbelievable value, and for the time being this will be my saltwater reel. It's going to take a catastrophic failure to get me to buy something else, the tolerances are great and drag seems smooth. The adjustment is definitely sensitive but it's not unlike some of my conventional reels, so I'm used to it. I also just caught a nice little tarpon on their 3/4 wt rod. It performed flawlessly.

Also- whatever reel you buy, I'll buy back from you at the end of your trip for a slight discount. Let me know :)

del gue

Reaction score
If this is basically a one shot affair, then I'd say get the cheapest acceptable reel. The Behemoth has an awesome drag, but for as long as you are gonna use it, I'd agree the Piscifun is prolly your best bet since it costs a little less and would be adequate for most situations. Karstopo's Cabelas RLS+3 is also a good recommendation. Get an intermediate line for it, and some Clousers and Deceivers.

sawinredneck

Reaction score
I was in a semi similar situation, I wanted a reel I could use for large Bass and Catfishing around KS, but would be able to take the abuse the very few times I got to go saltwater fishing, which seems may be more than I’d hoped?
Anyway, a forum member contacted me and made me an excellent offer on an all but NIB Sage 1680. This reel is more than I’ll ever be able to justify! The drag is just ridiculous! I was also recommended the Picsfun and Reddington Behemoth. I can’t say anything about the Picsfun, I cannot say I wouldn’t buy one, but being able to hold one goes a ways for me, sorry. I’ve handled the Behemoth, it’s overkill on steroids! The Sage is pretty, it’s smooth, you just enjoy it. The Behemoth is the 520 cubic inch open headers “if I can’t reel you in, I’m going to throw three rods trying!” type of reel! You have to respect that to be able to enjoy that reel, if that makes sense?

itchmesir

Reaction score
Okuma SLV is a great option. Bigger sizes can often be found rather cheap. Great drag too. Very light. Not necessarily a "saltwater" reel. You'll have to soak and rinse in freshwater but I've read of a few salt guides that still will use them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
the behemoth looks like a nice reel, does anyone have experience with it? I've heard it's heavy?
I have the 9-10 Behemoth. It is a great reel for the money, but it is heavy. I use it on an old Shakespeare Wonderod and the combination gives you a workout.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Since you already have an 8wt., what's wrong with the reel that you already have ?

I used a Pfueger Medalist in the salt for 18 years before I got my first disk drag, anodized reel.
I learned the hard way to clean and oil it every day, but it was quite serviceable

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I'd personally choose the Sage 2280 and hang on to it. It'll last pretty much forever. If you don't use an 8 weight much at home though, and couldn't use the 2280 on any rods that get even semi-regular use, I'd probably start asking friends if I could borrow theirs... That's taboo in some circles but maybe not for you?

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I used a Pfueger Medalist in the salt for 18 years before I got my first disk drag, anodized reel.
I still have and use a Medalist that I bought in 1982 (I have floating line on the Medalist and sink-tip on the Behemoth).
It has held up well.

flav

Reaction score
If you want to use that gift card and get a reel that will handle salt and have money left for a line there's a few options. The lamson liquid and redington behemoth both have good sealed drags, but are cast aluminum. The cabelas WLX is machined aluminum and has basically the same drag as the lamsons. All those will serve you well in the salt and leave you money left over for a line, although in March it probably won't be hot enough to need saltwater line.

pnc

Reaction score
Since you already have an 8wt., what's wrong with the reel that you already have ?

I learned the hard way to clean and oil it every day, but it was quite serviceable
Was curious myself if rod had serviceable reel. In part why I asked where in Florida. Guessing we're talking inshore. But guessing still the same, without answer.

........ pc

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I was in a semi similar situation, I wanted a reel I could use for large Bass and Catfishing around KS, but would be able to take the abuse the very few times I got to go saltwater fishing, which seems may be more than I’d hoped?
Anyway, a forum member contacted me and made me an excellent offer on an all but NIB Sage 1680. This reel is more than I’ll ever be able to justify! The drag is just ridiculous!
Where in Florida will you be? I sold the 1680 to sawinredneck, and I have an 1880 I would be happy to lend if you are in South Florida. It has Airflo Tropical Punch 9-wt line on it, which might work fine on your 8-wt rod. My BVK 8 casts the 9-wt line with no problem.

flytie09

Reaction score
Mjk's offer can't be beat..... the members generosity on this site is great for sure.

It's a tough price range for a hard as nails salt water reel. Maybe look at the Cheeky Tyro... it's not a sealed drag... but fits your budget as offered on Cabelas - Review: Cheeky Tyro Fly Reel | Hatch Magazine - Fly Fishing, etc..

Others around over your $180 limit:

- Temple Fork Outfitters BVK Fly Reel - http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/temple-fork-outfitters-bvk-fly-reel
- Pflueger President - http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/pflueger-president-fly-reel

If you want to open up your budget a little and consider aftermarket realm...... you can't beat a Nautilus reel. On ebay a used FWX 7/8 can be found for $250 buy it now...... an amazing reel and blows away any offered on Cabelas/BassPro for that price. Sealed drag, US made.. makes perfect sense.

Another note on the Nautilus reel.... you can buy it, use it, and resell it and not lose a penny. Guys love these reels and they're known workhorses. Something to consider.

ft09

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I use the Scientific Anglers System 2 reels myself.
There's a couple of 8/9s on the auction site right now for 60 and 70 bucks
You could do a lot worse

IMGP0001.jpg cape june 2009 039.jpg