S. Padre Island Fishing

mka

Reaction score
My wife booked a vacation home in Padre Island for a week in April. I've never saltwater fished but would like to do some sight fishing on the flats in Laguna Madre while we are there. The only problem is, the heaviest rod I own is a Sage 6wt and I don't have any interest in buying a saltwater outfit. My question, if I only target smaller fish, could I get by using a 6wt rod on those flats??? If anyone knows that area around Padre Island and could advise me, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

karstopo

Reaction score
I haven’t been to those flats except a long time ago with baitcasting gear. I fish a lot up the coast and the fish one might run into are basically the same. Your 6 weight should be enough for the fish inshore in the Lower Laguna Madre, Arroyo Colorado or South Bay. You could run into large Jack Crevelle and then decide whether you want to cast at them or not. The beachfront could have some Cobia or something that might pose a problem for a 6 weight, but that seems like more of an exception than a rule.

In the Lower Laguna Madre, it’s more likely to run into Speckled trout and redfish. South Bay(below the LLM right next to Mexico) is known for snook. The Texas State Record Speckled Trout any tackle went 37.25” and 15.6 pounds and came from the Lower Laguna that was sight casted to using a fly rod by Bud Rowland. This was about 13 years ago and his fish came in May.

April is usually a good time for big sow trout. Redfish ought to be abundant. The only real issue with the 6 weight I can see is the wind. You might get into the drag in a serious way on fish once they start getting around 5 pounds. Bigger Redfish will run off some line, potentially into the backing, in shallow water, but they aren’t known for burning up drags, just solid, powerful runs. After a few of those, they will start to tire. Trout are tricky fighters with head shaking, tail walking and other stunts and have delicate mouths so it’s best not to try and horse them in. I keep a light drag on Speckled trout to try and not rip the hook out.

Saltwater: The Flies That Caught the Records | MidCurrent

The link has a picture of Bud Rowland’s fly, the Numero Uno. I use a lot of size 2 and 4 patterns on redfish and trout and up shallow you won’t need much or any weight. There’s a lot of submerged grassy shoals down there so something that stays above that is nice.

Maybe someone with real first hand experience fly fishing there will pipe up on some local knowledge and specific ideas.

mka

Reaction score
Thanks much, Karstopo....I'm starting my list of flies to acquire. That Bud Rowland story was a fun read! I'm thinking about putting a 7wt line that I won in a drawing to over line my Sage XP 697 rod. That should help a little with the wind and maybe I can get through this vaca using tackle that I already have. I hope so anyway.

fossumsj

Reaction score
6wt will work, used it many times although my standard is 7 wt when sight fishing south padre.
Expect wind. Afternoon is generally windier than morning.
Use smaller aerodynamic flies size 8 - 4 for a 6 wt in windy conditions.
DIY sightfishing is possible, but limited. Sightfishing from a boat is unlimited.
6 wt is perfect for fishing from lighted piers on S Padre.
Have fun
Scott F

mka

Reaction score
6wt will work, used it many times although my standard is 7 wt when sight fishing south padre.
Expect wind. Afternoon is generally windier than morning.
Use smaller aerodynamic flies size 8 - 4 for a 6 wt in windy conditions.
DIY sightfishing is possible, but limited. Sightfishing from a boat is unlimited.
6 wt is perfect for fishing from lighted piers on S Padre.
Have fun
Scott F
Thanks, Scott...I ordered a Sage saltwater WF7F line for my XP rod (a closeout line) and am pretty sure the rod can handle over lining by one weight. I am going to test cast it to make sure before going on the trip. If this works okay, it should help when in the wind. Per your advice, I'll probably fish in the mornings and then spend the rest of the day with family...so that should help fishing when it tends to be less windy.

I'm now pulling together other gear (wading shoes, etc.) to make the best of what I have on hand. Looking forward to the trip and fresh seafood again. I lived in the New Orleans area for a few years and got kind of spoiled to the fresh seafood (gained a few pounds too)...so getting back to those fabulous meals again will be nice.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I know nothing about the fishing you will be doing, but just wanted to mention that you should take your normal line with you. Generally when you use a heavier line on a rod it tends to cast it a bit slower and that isn’t;t th bet way to cut th wind. Usually the best wind line is an aggressive taper in the proper weight for the rod. If you have an intermediate or slow sinking line in a six weight, that would help because it cuts through the wind better.

But have a good time and catch some fish.

Don

karstopo

Reaction score
One idea to do a walk in wade to sight cast fish is to set up yourself for success. Meaning do your wade that puts the wind in a quartering position on your off hand or generally wade down wind. Then when you see the fish, keep it marked and work yourself into position that makes the cast easier. Redfish can move along and feed pretty fast, but often they stay in a little zone giving plenty of time to work into a favorable casting position. Even if you have to wade up wind, it doesn’t mean you are obligated to cast into the wind. Just work around and get the wind more in your favor.

I do a lot of static staring at the water. Sometimes you can spot fish well off and then get an idea what they are up to and then head them off. I’m hardly ever am in a hurry out there. It’s real easy to miss fish by moving too fast.

Keep an eye out for black drum. They are pretty common in south Texas. They aren’t usually as aggressive as redfish. They tend to like smaller dark patterns and a slow moving or stationary fly. Sheepshead might also be around. They are a real prize on the fly rod. I’ve got three to hand in hundreds of shots at them. Most Texas fly fishermen struggle getting them to take a fly, but every once in a while they can be aggressive for a well presented fly.

huntschool

Reaction score
I fished the LLM a few years ago and took a 6,7, and a 9 wt. Fished them all. The six was a good rod stalking the "flats" I had a time or two with bigger reds that had me worried but as Karstopo said they tire and you can get it to work. The 7 saw a lot of work and really was the best all around rod I used. The 9, however really shined when we were on a bay boat and stalking big reds. It really bucked the wind.

If you know your dates etc, consider hiring a good guide with a good bay boat. Its a real experience if the guide puts you on fish.....

JMHO

mka

Reaction score
You guys are very helpful because this small stream fisher has no idea what he's doing on the salt flats. If my wife wants to make this a regular vaca trip (we now have a couple of kids living in Texas), I will most likely pick up an appropriate rod/reel to fish that area. I'll know more about what kind of outfit I want after fishing that area on this trip...sounds like from you guys, I can "get away" with my 6wt but a 7-9wt rod would be more effective there. I'm going to take two reels loaded with 6wt and 7wt lines to make sure I have the best wind setup with that rod. This is a new experience and I'm really looking forward to it......

huntschool

Reaction score
Mike:

If it were me, I would take a 6 and an 8 or 9 with tropical line depending on time of year.

To me, it all depends on how you are going to fish, what for, and of course the weather (wind). Reds are a blast when you find them tailing and can pole up on them in a bay boat. They eat good also......

The one thing you are going to find a bit different is ther is no structure to cast to other than oyster beds and grass. This aint like fishing a river with riffles and hold ing points. Ya have to look for signs of the fish feeding or the fish themselves and then be able to put the fly just out in front of their nose a bit.

Good luck

mka

Reaction score
Okay, you guys convinced me to add another rod for my trip in April. I found a killer deal on a 8wt rod at Cabela's this morning. So I am going flats fishing with a 6wt and 8wt rod using which rod depending on the wind...best to be sufficiently armed when there.

mka

Reaction score
Bruce...I picked up a beautiful old Bauer MZ4 with sealed drag and it balances very nicely on the 890 rod. I really like the drag's click settings and think it's going to be just fine on the water. However, this ultra-light fisher is going to need to practice casting a bunch with this rig between now and vacation time.

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
Yes, practice the cast. Like you, I am a small river/creek trout fisherman, but just got back last night from St. Petersburg FL and had the chance to fish a TINY bit. I also was convinced to pick up an 8wght rod for this trip and found out a couple of things. To get this big stick to throw line, you have to have a LOT more line speed then anything I ever attempted for trout fishing, I have a fast action EDGE and it took me a good hour to figure out how to cast effectively. Once I figured it out, it was a lot of fun to see the line shooting out... If you don't know how to 2x haul, learn.

mka

Reaction score
Yes, practice the cast. Like you, I am a small river/creek trout fisherman, but just got back last night from St. Petersburg FL and had the chance to fish a TINY bit. I also was convinced to pick up an 8wght rod for this trip and found out a couple of things. To get this big stick to throw line, you have to have a LOT more line speed then anything I ever attempted for trout fishing, I have a fast action EDGE and it took me a good hour to figure out how to cast effectively. Once I figured it out, it was a lot of fun to see the line shooting out... If you don't know how to 2x haul, learn.
Love that area of Florida.

You're right, I don't have much need for a double haul here in New Mexico...once in a blue moon a false cast and nothing more. I will for sure become proficient casting an 8wt and the double haul before I go...might not be a bad idea to take it to the Juan and practice lifting line out of the water as part of becoming competent with the cast.

fossumsj

Reaction score
I’ve fished w/many newbies to saltwater fly fishing in tx. The majority are intimidated by the wind. Both your 8 & 6 will work fine. Plenty of fish are caught with a shorter than 30’ cast. Being able to cast further generally results in more opportunities & more fish.
A roll cast can work well. If the wind is howling, you will be surprised how far you can roll cast. Accuracy & presentation may suffer, but the fish are less spooky. I personally consider dead calm the worst of conditions. Fish spook 100’ away.
Consider using a popper. If you miss a cast by 10’, you can let it rest on top & hope the fish heads towards it. As it gets near, start stripping. This works well with floating flies. If over grass, a sinking fly tens to get fouled.

My favorite popper is a VIP. Small, easy to cast in wind, has a weed guard, & is excellent on reds, trout & ladyfish. Or you can use a bluegill sized popper that you may already have. Use your bass sized popper on your 2nd trip.

Talk to locals for walk in sight fishing opportunities. I use a boat.
Good fishing, might not be sightfishing, can be had at jetties, surf,& lighted piers at night.

Sight fishing possibilities to look into are:
- back side of spd . Find an access road and hike to water. May be 1 mile, but you will be in virgin clear water. 4wd will shorten hike. Check google earth for likely spots. This is generally white sand bottom.
- holly beach. Drive to beach, get in water, start fishing, head north towards Cullen bay/house with good wind direction, turn around when tired (you can hike ~10 mi. Fish close to dry land (6” water depth is plenty). This is generally hard bottom with grass.

Must have polarized sunglasses.
Shuffle your feet when wading to avoid stingrays.
Practice casting.

Have fun in tx.
Scott F

mka

Reaction score
I’ve fished w/many newbies to saltwater fly fishing in tx. The majority are intimidated by the wind. Both your 8 & 6 will work fine. Plenty of fish are caught with a shorter than 30’ cast. Being able to cast further generally results in more opportunities & more fish.
A roll cast can work well. If the wind is howling, you will be surprised how far you can roll cast. Accuracy & presentation may suffer, but the fish are less spooky. I personally consider dead calm the worst of conditions. Fish spook 100’ away.
Consider using a popper. If you miss a cast by 10’, you can let it rest on top & hope the fish heads towards it. As it gets near, start stripping. This works well with floating flies. If over grass, a sinking fly tens to get fouled.

My favorite popper is a VIP. Small, easy to cast in wind, has a weed guard, & is excellent on reds, trout & ladyfish. Or you can use a bluegill sized popper that you may already have. Use your bass sized popper on your 2nd trip.

Talk to locals for walk in sight fishing opportunities. I use a boat.
Good fishing, might not be sightfishing, can be had at jetties, surf,& lighted piers at night.

Sight fishing possibilities to look into are:
- back side of spd . Find an access road and hike to water. May be 1 mile, but you will be in virgin clear water. 4wd will shorten hike. Check google earth for likely spots. This is generally white sand bottom.
- holly beach. Drive to beach, get in water, start fishing, head north towards Cullen bay/house with good wind direction, turn around when tired (you can hike ~10 mi. Fish close to dry land (6” water depth is plenty). This is generally hard bottom with grass.

Must have polarized sunglasses.
Shuffle your feet when wading to avoid stingrays.
Practice casting.

Have fun in tx.
Scott F
Thanks much, Scott for the information and tips. I'm really looking forward to the trip...not so much about stingrays, but hopefully I'll learn the shuffle. We have a San Juan shuffle here in New Mexico too but, it's for a different purpose:)

karstopo

Reaction score
Thanks much, Scott for the information and tips. I'm really looking forward to the trip...not so much about stingrays, but hopefully I'll learn the shuffle. We have a San Juan shuffle here in New Mexico too but, it's for a different purpose:)
That clear water down there shouldn't be too bad, you should be able to see them. Don't back up because stingrays will follow your path.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

mka

Reaction score
That clear water down there shouldn't be too bad, you should be able to see them. Don't back up because stingrays will follow your path.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
LOL...I keep thinking about the Aussie, Steve Irwin, who was stabbed to death by a stingray:drama: