Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Lightbulb Anna Maria Island fly fishing - school a freshwater guy, please!

May be heading down for a quick 4-5 day trip to AMI in March (dates unknown as of now) this year, and for sure a week down there next year.

The only salt-water fly fishing I've done is...well, none...other than up in Alaska.

What sorta gear do you guys use down there? What weight setups? What flies? And what the heck would I be catching in March down around AMI?

Thanks!!!
    Andy

Default Re: Anna Maria Island fly fishing - school a freshwater guy, please!

From Dunedon south to Bradenton there are a chain of barrier Islands at the entrance to Tampa Bay. AM , I think the furthest south. Any of the passes or from beach are good fishing. In March, you'll find all the year long residents. Sea trout, snook, reds, sheephead,, jacks, list goes on. Early still for tarpon. But never know when you find little ones.
    An 8 or 9w rod would work. I think 8's are the rod most used in Florida's. But you could find yourself wishing you had a 9 or even 10w. Fishing passes or at night.
    Clouser's and Deciever's will take most anything. Other baitfish patterns, also work. Some weighted could come in handy. Poppers to can be useful at times. White or wht/chartreuse with some red near head will work for all.
    Should the trip be near in time. To the third Thursday of the month. This or any time. The Suncoast fly fishers meet at 7 pm in St Pete every month. That following Saturday outing & lunch. Guests are always welcome at either or both.

........ pc

3. Likes camelbrass, spicymac liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by pnc View Post
    From Dunedon south to Bradenton there are a chain of barrier Islands at the entrance to Tampa Bay. AM , I think the furthest south. Any of the passes or from beach are good fishing. In March, you'll find all the year long residents. Sea trout, snook, reds, sheephead,, jacks, list goes on. Early still for tarpon. But never know when you find little ones.
    An 8 or 9w rod would work. I think 8's are the rod most used in Florida's. But you could find yourself wishing you had a 9 or even 10w. Fishing passes or at night.
    Clouser's and Deciever's will take most anything. Other baitfish patterns, also work. Some weighted could come in handy. Poppers to can be useful at times. White or wht/chartreuse with some red near head will work for all.
    Should the trip be near in time. To the third Thursday of the month. This or any time. The Suncoast fly fishers meet at 7 pm in St Pete every month. That following Saturday outing & lunch. Guests are always welcome at either or both.

........ pc
    Awesome...THANK YOU!!!

I've been going down there annually for a week in June for the past 10 years. LOVE that place!!! An 8wt is the go to down there unless you're going after Tarpon then it would be a 12wt but March is probably a little early for them. no fancy leaders just 9' of 20lb test. If you have a boat there's plenty of mangroves you can cover on the bay side of the island. I doubt snook will be moved up on the beach yet in March but I've caught decent sized Jacks in waist deep water right off the beach. There's always some nice holes up around the northern tip of the island "Bean Point" Also, you could drive or take the free trolly down to Long Boat pass. I have got to know a couple guides down there over the years. PM if you'd like their contact info. Also!!! Don't forget to visit Steve Traves at Anna Maria Outfitters! It's a great little fly shop on Pine Street. Steve will be able to point you towards what's biting.

6. Default Re: Anna Maria Island fly fishing - school a freshwater guy, please!

I was just down there. Spent most of my time with the 7wt but brought 7,8,10. If you fish Tampa bay grass flats make sure you have weed guards on your flies. Shrimp, crab and baitfish patterns. The white bait hasnít moved in yet but mullet are abundant. Tons of crabs around, tan to brown kwans and EP crabs are a good match. General craft fur shrimp patterns in light colors with some shminnows, Clousers, deceivers and poppers. All the flies you need.

First two snook I caught on fly were at AMI in the surf. One on a crazy Charlie shrimp pattern and the other a very small white bait fish. They can be from 2 feet off the sand on out.
    AMI Snook 7-21-16.jpg

8. Likes spicymac liked this post