Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will This Reel be Good for my new Fly Rod?

Recently went salt-water fly fishing for the first time and LOVED it.

My wife bought me a new Orvis Helios 3D 9wt for my birthday.

And also paired it with the Hydros SL IV. Do you think this is a big enough reel for the proper line/backing? Mostly bonefishing for now. Should I have gone with their more expensive Mirage? Or should I return the reel and look at another companies reel?

Thanks!

2. Likes k_e_v liked this post

Default Re: Will This Reel be Good for my new Fly Rod?

Quote Originally Posted by bucky86 View Post
    Recently went salt-water fly fishing for the first time and LOVED it.

My wife bought me a new Orvis Helios 3D 9wt for my birthday.

And also paired it with the Hydros SL IV. Do you think this is a big enough reel for the proper line/backing? Mostly bonefishing for now. Should I have gone with their more expensive Mirage? Or should I return the reel and look at another companies reel?

Thanks!
    I was also thinking about trading it down for the 8wt instead. The bones in Grand Cayman aren't huge, which is where I will be using it 90% of the time, so the 8wt should be plenty of stick. Agree?

Maybe it's just me but if my wife took the interest in my sport to go out and buy me a top tier rod with a matching reel, I would go fish it.
    I would not not worry about if I should return it and get something different.
    If after I fished it then I decided I wanted something different then I would get that. But I would not be returning her gift.

Regards,

Tim C.

5. Likes k_e_v, brook rookie, scotty macfly liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
    Maybe it's just me but if my wife took the interest in my sport to go out and buy me a top tier rod with a matching reel, I would go fish it.
    I would not not worry about if I should return it and get something different.
    If after I fished it then I decided I wanted something different then I would get that. But I would not be returning her gift.

Regards,

Tim C.
    I hear ya, but I assure you she has no problem with me getting the stick in a different weight, or switching out the reels.

I have an Orvis Hydros SL 4 reel, loaded with 8 wt line. To date, I've had no issues in regard to performance. Considering the price, I do think that the Orvis Hydros reels represent good value. In regard to line and backing capacity, the Orvis recommendations are unrealistic, but this is probably true for most reel manufacturers. Orvis suggests that 200 yds of 20 lb Dacron backing and an 8 wt line can be loaded on this reel...I have maybe 170 yds of backing loaded on my reel. My guess is that 150 yds of backing would be realistic if you have a 9 wt line. The question would be whether 150 yds of backing is adequate for bonefishing. Keep in mind that a larger reel will also probably be heavier.

8. Likes scotty macfly liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by driftless22 View Post
    I have an Orvis Hydros SL 4 reel, loaded with 8 wt line. To date, I've had no issues in regard to performance. Considering the price, I do think that the Orvis Hydros reels represent good value. In regard to line and backing capacity, the Orvis recommendations are unrealistic, but this is probably true for most reel manufacturers. Orvis suggests that 200 yds of 20 lb Dacron backing and an 8 wt line can be loaded on this reel...I have maybe 170 yds of backing loaded on my reel. My guess is that 150 yds of backing would be realistic if you have a 9 wt line. The question would be whether 150 yds of backing is adequate for bonefishing. Keep in mind that a larger reel will also probably be heavier.
    If I drop down to the 8wt rod, should I switch out the reel for the 5 and over-load it with 9wt line?

My friend I would not worry about it and fish it. With the 9wt you are good to go in windy conditions or for larger species of salt and freshwater fish.

Enjoy!

Denny

11. Thanks bucky86 thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    My friend I would not worry about it and fish it. With the 9wt you are good to go in windy conditions or for larger species of salt and freshwater fish.

Enjoy!

Denny
    Thanks. Sometimes I overthink things.

I guess in a few years Iíll just have to add another rod to my collection!

13. Likes dennyk liked this post

Saw backing capacity in one of the replys. That being 200 yds 20lb dacron. 20 & 30 lb dacron have been used for years as backing. Most reel mfgs list capacities in one or both of these sizes.
    Without going into the abrasion problems of 20 lb dacron. I do use 20 lb backing as spool filler on freshwater reels. Used only 30 for years in salt. But all my reels for salt now have gel spun backing.
    A thing to consider is not using braided dacron. And using gel spun line for backing. I have 50 lb test backing on every reel for saltwater. And a substantial amount more than either 20 or 30lb dacron. Reels that held 200 yds of 30lb dacron now have 300 yds of 50 lb gel spun. Size difference enables this.

.......... pc

15. Likes bucky86 liked this post
  16. Default Re: Will This Reel be Good for my new Fly Rod?

B: She went the right way...the rod gets the bigger part of the budget. Keep the 9wt...fish can't count...modify your leader and tippet sizes to suit the fly you are casting. Some of the small tarpon around might like the 9. As for the reel...keep it clean and about 2 lbs reel drag with full spool any more palm it...it will work. I agree with all who suggest Braid...I use Fins Original PRT mostly 50...just remember to protect your fingers when retrieving or touching backing. Great set-up for Bonefish and most everything else you will encounter on Cayman particularly wading ...whilst I have always fished Sage blanks, a colleague fishes Helios 3D 9wt and 10wt and they are easy and accurate casters.

17. Thanks bucky86 thanked for this post
    Likes scotty macfly liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast