Help please! St. Martin fishing info ???

roadglideguy

Reaction score
hi there planning a trip to St Martin (prefer the Dutch side)...Learned a lot about spin casting and hand line fishing thru the internet but not much about guided fly fishing tours or DIY wading-fishing for bonefish, snook and tarpon? Hear the are lots of tarpon right off the piers...not much about Bonies/Snook...not a whole lot of flats there but some mangroves! my email is awpc@shaw.ca if you want to share please...

mnigro

Reaction score
Tarpon are all over the salt ponds. There is also a snapper that looks a lot like a mangrove, can’t recall what it was, but they were everywhere in the salt ponds too. The water is garbage filled and filthy - I would not wade in many of them. Finding places to cast was tough but I did land one juvi tarpon in about 1.5 hours of casting. There are monsters in there so I was throwing a 10wt as opposed to my 8. This was during a single day stopover on a cruise ship so if you have more time I’m sure you can figure out a way to hook fish. Have fun and good luck.

pnc

Reaction score
Waters that surround tourist ports. With lots of resteraunts. Usually have some on the water. They ususlly put out chum lines a couple of times a day dumping garbage. If clarity is problem, use sea-ducer or whistler.

......... pc

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
We went to a wedding on St. John's once. Waded several flats and saw maybe half a dozen bonefish in total over a couple of days and caught zero...but had fun trying. The wedding was a drunk-fest.