Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: First Saltwater Fly Fishing Trip

Quote Originally Posted by ames11b4 View Post
    Lots of great advice here, thanks guys. I am looking forward to the challenge, and I have been practicing casting quite a bit over the past couple months, and will continue to do so until the trip. My expectations are to learn, more than anything, and catching fish will just be an added reward. I will be staying at the new Mahogany Bay Resort, on Ambergris Caye, and using the Blue Bonefish guide service, which is there in the resort village.

As for selecting Belize as the first saltwater location, my wife and I have begun traveling the world, and I decided I might as well bring fly gear along wherever we go. Belize happens to be one of the locations this year. I am already tying flies for an upcoming freshwater trip, spending a couple weeks in Peru fly fishing the Amazon.

While I will be using the guide's gear on this first trip, if you could bring one rod to fly fish Belize, what size would you bring?
    When are you headed down?

I just got back from my first flats trip and the one item that I thought did not get enough emphasis in what I read and researched before we went was socks for your wading booties. I had a pair or cabela's brand neoprene wading booties with a hard rubber sole (and my buddy had the simms version of the same product). Both of us had tried our booties on and worn them around at home so we knew they would be comfortable and we both planned to wear them without socks. Big mistake. After one day on the flats both of us were starting to get spots on our toes or feet where sand or grit was wearing away our skin. We both brought smartwool socks that we wore after that, which were perfect and prevented any further chafing even if sand got in our booties. Without socks we would have been screwed. I suppose cotton socks would have also worked but I liked the smart wool because it was thin but still comfortable.

I've been to Belize a hand full it times. Very little wading in Belize, most is very soft muddy bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by missin44 View Post
    I've been to Belize a hand full it times. Very little wading in Belize, most is very soft muddy bottom.
    Not where I fished off of Ambergis. We waded more than we fished from the panga.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123