Vacation to Key West Florida, Can I catch a Fish! Trade for Montana Fishing

beardog02

Reaction score
I'm going to be in the Key West area the end of March-early April. Whats the chance I can catch a Bonefish -- or any fish for that matter. I'm open to any advise!! I've fly fished trout in Montana for 25 years and would trade a day floating the Missouri for help in Florida....

mikechell

Reaction score
Can't help you for the Keys. I live in Central Florida.
But, I travel for my job, and when I am going to an area within the US, I go to ... <take me fishing. org>

Fishing & boating Resources. Start fishing today

You can find a tremendous amount of information on that site, including license fees, guides and where to go fishing on your own.

pnc

Reaction score
Time of year you speak of is probably best for you. Assuming from OP, this may be first time.
April is generally the time of year with the highest density of bonefish. Varies some duration. All due to water temperatures.
Chances of catching bonefish ? Timing is right. Chances will differ with approach. Best chance not being familiar with fish, would be with a guide. Finding one not booked up at this time might be hard. On your own. I wish you luck. This Is not an easy target to spot. New or old have trouble. Timing may help getting fish. Fishing drop offs, cuts, likely spots for fish might be best chance. Rather than sight fishing.

....... pc

Monello

Reaction score
I spent 2 months this winter in Marathon, FL; about 50 miles from KW. Not sure if you are open to other types of fishing other than fly fishing. I caught a bunch of different species using shrimp with spinning gear. A few species that I still don't know what they are.

The most fun I had was catching pinfish with a sabiki rig then live lining them. I caught a bunch of shark that I was able to release. 1 afternoon something spooled me.

Anyway that water down there has an incredibly rich biomass of fish. Both the Atlantic and the gulf sides are teeming with fish. You many not catch your target species but there is a good chance you will find fish willing to bite. Other than Alaska during a salmon run, I can't think of any other place in America that is as productive as the FL Keys.

jl5.jpg

s1.jpg

jnrose24

Reaction score
Without a boat you'll have a hard time catching much(ie bones/tarpon/permit) in Key West, as the beaches really are flats-like, but lack fish.April is the start of tarpon season so virtually all guides with any skill are booked solid through June-up and down the Keys.That said, if you ask at either of the fly shops in key west, they will hook you up with someone who can take you fishing for bones and tarpon-permit have usually gone offshore to spawn during April.Prepare to spend $600 or more for a day with a guide.BUT the flats near key west are gorgeous-nicer I'd say than the flats we have up here in Biscayne Bay/Miami, and a good guide will get you on fish. Be prepared to deal with the wind--casting 8-12 wts, depending on the quarry and the weather. And if you insist on fishing from shore, there are some spots on Stock Island, I believe, that the local shops can steer you to.

beardog02

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I have a 8 wt rod and a Nautilus FWX 7/8 reel I plan to bring. I am flexible too, I will have a rental car and here at home I often drive a hour after work to fish for a few hours. We will be in Orlando for 4 days, Miami for 2 days, Islamorada for a day and key west for a day. How about Dry Tortugas, does anyone fished there or is it just too many tourist and snorkelers???

just4grins

Reaction score
Go to Bahia Honda State Park. Walk the beach on the ocean side and sight and wade fish from 3/4 in coming tide to 3/4 outgoing tide. Be stealthy and if there's no wind sight fish, if visibility isn't great prospect fish. You can find bonefish, permit and other fish a long this stretch. Get a map and go to the ocean side of Big Pine and do the same thing there. Good luck.

pnc

Reaction score
Go to Bahia Honda State Park. Walk the beach on the ocean side and sight and wade fish from 3/4 in coming tide to 3/4 outgoing tide. Be stealthy and if there's no wind sight fish, if visibility isn't great prospect fish. You can find bonefish, permit and other fish a long this stretch. Get a map and go to the ocean side of Big Pine and do the same thing there. Good luck.
Good spots for wading ! Two words on stealth. If you hear yourself moving. Slow down.

...... pc

And do shuffle feet if wading ! Better a big ray scare you than stab you.

Last edited:

pnc

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I have a 8 wt rod and a Nautilus FWX 7/8 reel I plan to bring. I am flexible too, I will have a rental car and here at home I often drive a hour after work to fish for a few hours. We will be in Orlando for 4 days, Miami for 2 days, Islamorada for a day and key west for a day. How about Dry Tortugas, does anyone fished there or is it just too many tourist and snorkelers???
Freshwater canals (north of I-75 and along Rt 27 north & south of I-75) , west side of Ft Lauderdale. Are loaded with fish.

........ pc

beardog02

Reaction score
That sounds like good advise about the wading spots, canals, and rays! Can't wait to give it a try, we're leaving here Monday. What are some flies I should have? All I have for saltwater flies are a few Clousers, I'll bring some streamers I use here too. I figure I'll stop at a fly shop down there and get a few flies. How about leaders / tippet??, I have 10lb tippet and a few 0X leaders. Thanks for the help, its fun planning and thinking about the trip.

pnc

Reaction score
Something wasn't right reading through posts. Looked back in logs. Haven't been to Key West in years.
It was pointed out flats surrounding the island being devoid of fish. Mmmmm....... more devoid of bones. Key West is Permit country. From what I wrote in log. Last entry being 2010. Sometime In May is when the usual disappearing act takes place.
Seeing Miami on schedule. Thought of canals, club has outing coming up in April.
Biscayne bay was mentioned. The south end is usually loaded with bones (big ones) in April. When, you plan on being there ! Spawning time, may be your best bet for fish. Flats around south end of bay are the ones to fish. I'd fish till I got to Key west & rest for one day.
Shell key, Islamorada, has always had nice fish. But, they are used, to define spooky.

.......... pc

jnrose24

Reaction score
To be clear--the beach flats at KW are essentially fishless. The flats you access by boat are a different story-thats where you have permit, tarpon and bones. Permit fishing in KW can be every bit as good as Belize and Mexico--but nowhere nearly as consistent.April is generally considered the month where permit go offshore to spawn--I fished KW a few weeks ago and my buddy and I had over a dozen decent permit shots in my one day of fishing (one hooked-lost to coral in a channel).The elite March Merkin tournament in KW was last week and 26 anglers with 26 guides fished 3 days and caught 2--thats right-2 permit-the water had cooled and the two fish were caught by one angler in the last 2 hours of the contest. Some guides reported seeing NO fish in 3 days. Perhaps they went offshore early this year...I will be back there to fish for permit at the end of June.I fish Biscayne Bay year round. If by the south end of the Bay PNC (above)means the southern end of the Bay from key biscayne southward , yes, its full of bones, permit and, starting soon, tho more so on the ocean side of things, tarpon.The West and East sides of the Bay have all three target species, plus some snook and some big reds. Bones in KW tend to be small, here in Biscayne the average is 6-7 pounds. And many of the flats along the way, including the not mentioned one at Long Key State park(if opened presently since Irma) have bones when the temperature and tides are right.It's cooled off at night a bit lately, but the cold hasnt been so terrible as to scare the bones totally into deeper, warmer water.
As for leaders-dont hobble yourself with 10 lb leaders--use a 9 ft tapered leader-either one piece or your own stepped down from 30 lb butt(or 40 for permit leaders) to a 16 or 20 lb fluoro tippet. Bones arent leader shy, and if you're after permit the extra strength and abrasion resistance of 20 lb will help--additionally seaguar Grand Max 20 lb has a thinner diameter than most other 12-20 lb tippet material--if youre after a world record bone(15 lbs or so on 10 lb) then go with 10, but I'd use the low diameter higher test.
Use a crab imitation fly that you can throw in a wind with the stoutest rod you are bringing.Bones will eat them, and finicky permit-when they condescend to eat your perfectly placed fly almost always prefer something crabby looking.Ask at the Angling Company, or Murphy's shop for the flies the guides are using.If youre driving down to KW from Miami, stop at Sandy Morets FLorida Keys Outfitters in Islamorada and look at their fly selection-what works in Islamorada for bones and permit does equally well--or badly, in Key West--generally. Good Luck

beardog02

Reaction score
jnrose24 -- That is truly eye opening about the fishing at KW, I think I'll do as a few have suggested and try fishing Biscayne Bay more than the keys. We will be staying for 2 days at the Holiday Inn right on the Bay - at the North end. Thanks for the info on leaders, tippet and flies. Greatly impressed with great replies and detailed information. Thanks

just4grins

Reaction score
I hate to pop your bubble about Key Lime Pie. Like so many things it's everywhere in this country now and it's all pretty good. You can overnight anything. Lived there for 10 years. A couple of Margaritas and it all tastes great.

kevind62

Reaction score
Pretty much ditto to just4grins on the pie. It's over rated if you ask me, but my wife seems to love it. She buys the little frozen single slices in the grocery store at home. Can't recall the brand since I'm not crazy over it. To me it tastes like lemon meringue without the meringue. Like I said, I'm not crazy over it. Give me a homemade pecan pie any day.

But as far as the fishing goes, stay on the sand flats on the south side for bonefish. If you just want to catch fish, the bays anywhere are loaded with tarpon and are easy picking early in the morning and late in the evening. Though I've never fly fished down there before, I'd be willing to bet you could easily catch mangrove snapper with a fly rod. Anywhere around the dock pilings or on the north side (gulf side) on the rocks in the shallows. They're extremely abundant and pretty much like a piranha. They'll just about eat anything. You could probably hammer them with a clouser minnow.

By the way, if I "win" the Montana float trip I'd like to donate it to any one of the PHW recipients. I try to do a "once in a lifetime" trip out west to the Rockies at least 3 to 4 times a year. :D

Last edited: