Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: North Andros DIY Trip Report

"is there the ability to do a DIY trip off the south end where the habitat is very expansive?"

Expansive indeed, a wilderness really. We stay at the southern end-of-the-road and still run about 45 min. in the skiff each morning to get to the maze of creeks and little keys in the south and southwest. I have done plenty of DIY bonefishing all over the Bahamas and I would not consider venturing into this area without a knowledgeable guide with a reliable skiff.

2. Default Re: North Andros DIY Trip Report

I second what S&S states about venturing...I ventured on Andros because of my experience and always doing business with native Androsians...during the early years we never ventured north of Central Andros High School...those were the days in the north of cocaine cowboys, two pounds of gold neck chains and all flat black Jeeps...only one time did I have something unattended "walk away." It wasn't 2 plus in fly gear and 3 plus in Nikons...it was a genuine Stetson...but last 15 or so years things have changed up north...most of my time was spent up the Creek and South on Queen's Highway to Behring Point and the Bights...pics: my daughter Caroline with the late, great Ivan Neymour, two of the Smith brothers Prescott and Andy at Ivan's funeral, last bonefish Andros caught with Ivan's son DeWayne,BoneCold.jpgBrothers.jpgcaroivan.jpgBonefishIvanCaroline.jpg

I did not explore the middle bight or South Andros, but I looked long and hard at an Airbnb on the middle bight when we were planning our trip. I couldn't pull the trigger on it just because it seemed so limiting. I could not tell if the creeks that pass through the middle bight were too soft to be wadeable, how deep they were, etc. I did not want to go all the way to find that I was up a creek without a boat. On that point, keep in mind that the bahamas just passed new regulations (in 2017, I believe) that prohibit two (or more) people from fishing from the same boat unless one of them has a guide license. So, that pretty much kills any dreams of borrowing a boat. And after I took some measurements on google earth, I realized that we couldn't wade or kayak to the west side anyway with any reasonable effort. The size of Andros is one of the things that really hit me. I "knew" how big it was, but until you get there and do some exploring on your own, it is hard to appreciate just how vast those flats are. One flat we fished (young sound) measures about 7 miles long by 2 miles wide. That is just one flat. Somehow we also managed to spot only 4 bonefish on that whole effing flat despite fishing it on 3 different days.

Also, if I was considering the north coast of North Andros I would be cautious about where I stayed. We drove through there to get to the boat launch when we fished Joulters with our guide and it looked more populated and maybe a little more sketchy than what I saw elsewhere. No one was unfriendly but it just seemed more....local. That end of the island was also hit hard by a hurricane a couple years ago (hurricane Matthew?) and I am not sure everyone has recovered.

By the way, that is a hell of a nice looking bonefish, 41. We did not see any that big.

We were lucky to sneak up on a big school of fish in Joulters first thing in the morning. My buddy and I caught probably 4 or 5 each before they finally got a clue. After that we cruised to some other flats and waded off the boat a few times. I did not mind wading but I could imagine it getting old after a while. It certainly wasn't as efficient as fishing from the boat.

We never did fish fresh creek even though we drove inland on some sketchy roads on both the north and south sides of the creek to scout it out. We planned to take our kayaks back in there but we got distracted with easier fishing other places. We gave young sound more than a fair chance. We fished it three different days - more than anywhere else - but only saw a total of 4 bonefish. We couldn't understand it. That place looks like it should be loaded...but we saw mostly just stingrays, cuda and sharks in there.

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
    Andros from the Bights north to the Joulters very little change...three of us now two started going there in 1980...have not been back in 4 years and I miss Andros. Next time if he still does rent a boat from Hank and fish up Fresh Creek...then wade Young Sound...it's is vast and you could spend a week fishing it. Then for one day fish the Bights out of Cargill Creek with a guide ....when you went to the Joulters with a guide did you boat spot then get out and wade to the fish? That's what I remember and i'm not partial to that method because it wastes time; whereas most of the Bight action is in the boat...cover more area IMHO...but I/we only lodged once thereafter it was DIY but alas Mike once upon a time had a house on the Creek and those were great times.
    We were lucky to sneak up on a big school of fish in Joulters first thing in the morning. My buddy and I caught probably 4 or 5 each before they finally got a clue. After that we cruised to some other flats and waded off the boat a few times. I did not mind wading but I could imagine it getting old after a while. It certainly wasn't as efficient as fishing from the boat.

We never did fish fresh creek even though we drove inland on some sketchy roads on both the north and south sides of the creek to scout it out. We planned to take our kayaks back in there but we got distracted with easier fishing other places. We gave young sound more than a fair chance. We fished it three different days - more than anywhere else - but only saw a total of 4 bonefish. We couldn't understand it. That place looks like it should be loaded...but we saw mostly just stingrays, cuda and sharks in there.

6. Default Re: North Andros DIY Trip Report

MM: The regs I am aware...however, If Hank still rents boats in Fresh Creek...that's the imprimatur...Hank does Hank...Young Sound two ways to fish when wading best is dead low tide about 150 yards sound of house look for chancels...wait for incoming tide they will come in to feed in the mangroves at the far end...the other at the far end at change of tide high when they come out ...but not as concentrated as low incoming the channels.
    Native Androsians are an independent lot ...when Nassau allowed/ indicated Asians to pillage the TOTO and even parked their catch boats in North Andros in preparation to fish and tender to process ships...there was a "mild" protest and it did not happen...we drove to North A and saw the 15 or so anchored Korean/Chinese catch boats... or course there is another possible reason for no pillaging AUTEC and DOD might have objected to the "noise"...stray noise is bad for acoustics...However, we observed Androsians in a resolute stand about the boats at anchor...so if Hank rents rent...I would...big fish are winter fish just stay long enough for weather to change...I caught that fish in 60 degree air temp but sun just inside/west of the Behring Point dock

Good report. I fish the same areas around Fresh Creek several times a year both DIY and with a guide. I have to plug my guide he is absolutely fantastic and will take you to areas of the island you would never find alone.

Andros Bonefish Fly Fishing Guide Hermon Bain - Hermon's Andros Bonefishing

I think I rented the same rental car in Mexico a few years back. No shocks or speed-o, but it got us from point A to point B. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12