Astove Baby

camelbrass

Reaction score
There’s nothing quite like having almost no time to prepare for a trip. Two weeks before arriving on Astove I was sitting at work wondering whether the time had come to throw myself under a bus when I got the call, my response ‘Yes, of course’ or words to that effect. Anyhow, 2 weeks later I have trusty Guideline trolley bag in one hand and roll top Simms back pack in the other getting weighed (something wrong with the scales!!) to board the IDC flight to Astove via Alphonse.

Sometimes it just all comes together. Two days before we left myself and fishing buddy Nick received a parcel we’d been waiting months for. A couple of Troy Jacques’ finest 10wt T and T Sextant Bamboo saltwater works of art. A decision to leave them home lasted all of 10seconds and they were packed.

Astove involves a one hour hop from Mahe in the Seychelles on to Alphonse and a further one and a half hour leg further south into the middle of the Indian Ocean. The Atoll has an IDC post on it, takes 6 fishermen at a time, comfortable but basic accommodation and maybe the best food I’ve ever had on a fishing trip.

But I digress, we were here to fish. On tackling up, and as keen as mustard, I went for a stroll out onto the nearest flat and my lofty frame together with a neap tide saw me step straight off the flat into the nearest channel. The boys said all they saw of me was a cap and a Simms back pack above water. There may be one or two photos of the event, but for the life of me I can’t find them for the moment. Needless to say, in this school you can get away with nothing so the boys thoughtfully cable tied a face mask and snorkel to my back pack for the next day....and what a day.

Conditions were right for a bit of offshore action and 10wts and 12wts at the ready we headed off, little suspecting the carnage that would ensue over the next two days. It was chaos, but of the best kind. GTs, Dogtooth tuna, Sailfish it just kept coming. We lost count of the fish caught but by the end of day I’d ticked off a large Dogtooth tuna and a PB GT on fly at 116cm from the bucket list. The group’s equipment list was now down three twelve weights, three heavy duty reels in the ICU and 5 fly lines popped. Carnage, and I enjoyed every moment of it!

Day three saw us back on the other side of the drop off (ledges at the end of the flats drop quickly into about 400 meters of the bluest water you’ve ever seen) walking the surf zone on the marl for blue fin trevally, trigger fish, big bonefish and sundry other reef dwellers all the while avoiding the inquisitive lemon sharks. In this environment Bonefish are something you chase between tide changes and they’re comparatively big. Average is maybe 5lb, and you can expect to cast at a couple of single fish pushing 7 or 8lb in a session.

The interior of Astove is a large lagoon which looks and acts more like an estuary than a flat. It’s fed by an entrance to the sea which is amongst the fishiest pieces of water I’ve ever seen in my life and this is where I spent day 4. We waded until the tide changed having great fun with resident bones but once the tide started the race in from the surf its whole complexion changed. First came the turtles, then came the sharks and next came the rays and with them the GTs. The current was pumping and it was like fishing in the middle of a salmon river, in fact I even caught a reasonable GT swinging a fly across the current, showing my best River Spey form. Once the current settled down the bite went quiet so we headed into the lagoon looking for signs of the other Astove favourite, the Indo Pacific Permit. The water in the lagoon is very, very milky and how the guides see anything let alone a fish with big silver flanks is beyond me, but they do. We had or shot or two in any case, but enough to encourage me to have a try the next day.

I had decided that I would exclusively fish the Sextant bamboo inside the lagoon. So next morning, on the nose of the skiff we went looking. Not long into the morning we spotted a small GT tailing and after dropping the fly on its nose it ate, was landed and quickly released. On my next shift on the nose bamboo in hand, the guide, Stu Webb, asked me to put in a 30ft backhand cast upwind. If he’d have told me he’d seen a Permit on a Ray I would have totally stuffed it but, none the wiser, I placed it inch perfect and gave a short strip. I nearly died when a yellow crescent tail appeared behind the fly, I continued stripping and pausing whilst holding my breath and it continued tailing on the fly until a strip about 10ft from the skiff went solid and I struck the fly home. Anybody who’s ever hooked one of these can attest what happens next, it takes off towards me and heads for under the skiff. Very quick reactions and a bit of luck see my first Permit in the net and caught on cane.

Memories are made of trips like this. The boys now reckon Ive attained guru status and keep asking me to pick their lottery numbers for them. I have no idea why.

Trevor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

brokeoff

Reaction score
I have been working on a bucket list. I went ahead and threw it away because now the list only has one item: becoming camelbrass.

That yeller permit is just gorgeous.

fishordie

Reaction score
Yo CB,

Awesome, Just Awesome... I need to get me some Seychelles... The only problem is getting out of L.A. with only 30 pounds of stuff.... hell, my fly box weighs 30 pounds... Great job on the Splits....

Jamie

camelbrass

Reaction score
Yo CB,

Awesome, Just Awesome... I need to get me some Seychelles... The only problem is getting out of L.A. with only 30 pounds of stuff.... hell, my fly box weighs 30 pounds... Great job on the Splits....

Jamie
It's a struggle but there's some flexibility depending on the actual destination. Guys (and girls) seem to find a way to cope though. There's always the keen tyer who brings out a vice and boxes of dubbing after dinner, you usually notice after a few days that he's wearing the same shirt and shorts everyday and borrowing everyones' toothpaste and deodorant.

The bamboos were absolutely magic to use.

Regard,

Trevor

Last edited:

bonefish41

Reaction score
Big T:
I'm appalled that the T&T Sextant 10 wt is, to use the vernacular, knocked-up or impregnated...did the T&T bamboo maven have his roots in Wes Jordan and Orvis? I was told by down east trouters that my bonefish was not proper bamboo because it was a Wes Jordan impregnated rod. I was crestfallen and depressed until I saw them ordering Manhattans with Bourbon...nice catch:)BambooIvan.jpg

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Trevor

Thanks so much for taking the time to do that trip report with all the gorgeous photos, it was just awesome!

Like flyminded said: "When I grow up I wanna be like you or Fishordie ...oh wait I’ve grown up already".........that's what I want to do when I grow up. LOL!

What do you think makes that lagoon so milky colored? I can't believe those guides can spot a fish in that stuff, just incredible work!

camelbrass

Reaction score
FO..Damn, a knocked up bamboo. I don’t think I’ll ever recover......

Larry, the base of the lagoon is very silty and soft. When I slid off the skiff for the permit shot I sunk up to my knees in the silt. I’m actually standing there and the water itself is only 18 inches deep. The soft bottom, shallow water and constant prevailing wind causes the milkiness. The guides reckon it’s easier spotting fish looking towards the sun (not directly into it though) rather than with the sun at your back. I have no idea how they do it.

Regards,

Trevor

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
A superb trip report - thank you for sharing. I've been lucky enough to fish Alphonse/St Francois and would love to get out to the other atolls like Astove and Cosmoledo. That photo of the IP Permit on the cane is possibly once of the nicest trophy shots I have ever seen - the perfect mix of fish, location and gear. Congratulations!

sab_0010

Reaction score
Fantastic report and beautiful fish. I will probably never make it to one of the atolls in the Seychelles, but at least I get to hear about and see others' experiences like yours.