Bluefish C&R

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Bluefish are my favorite fly rod quarry and one of just a few fish that I'll harvest
If they grew any larger, they'd rule the sea :first:

Live Bluefish Matter - Marine Fish Conservation Network

......the Scoping Document effectively tells anglers that their conservation efforts will prove to be futile, for the fish that they choose to release will only be reallocated to, and killed by, the commercial sector. It tells them that, from an allocation standpoint, they were better off in the days when they fed their dead bluefish to rose bushes and dumpsters, compared to today, when they set most of their live bluefish free.

That is the wrong message to send, and not only because it is contrary to the clear language of Magnuson-Stevens.

It is wrong because it values dead fish more than live ones, when it is only live bluefish, abundant and available, that will allow both the recreational and commercial fisheries to thrive in the future, as well as today.
cape june 2009 014.jpg

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Years ago I read an interesting book about bluefish and fishing called "Blues," by John Hersey (probably best known for "Hiroshima"; great writer, fiction and nonfiction, Pulitzer prize and all that). It is a very thoughtful, sort of philosophical rumination as he spends days out on the water with a fisherman who teaches him about fishing (not just the catching part). A bonus is a recipe for bluefish in each chapter. Highly recommended.

Blues: John Hersey: 9780394757025: Amazon.com: Books

Rip Tide

Reaction score
http://www.mvmagazine.com/news/2018/05/01/hooked-blues
I generally do my best to avoid situations where I might encounter creatures that are mean and have the potential to inflict bodily harm – hunting Cape Buffalo or shopping in a mall the day before Christmas. The exception is fishing for bluefish.

Pomatomus saltatrix, which is Latin for Cuisinart with fins, is as ornery as anything that swims in Island waters. Combine the attitude of a Mad Max biker and the blue’s notorious appetite – it didn’t acquire the nickname “chopper” by accident – and you have a species that provides sheer action for anglers of every skill level in a variety of circumstances.

peterjay

Reaction score
Just food for thought: I usually don't target blues, but I've encountered a zillion of them over the years, and one thing I've learned is that circle hooks are made to order for bluefish flies. I've landed many on an ordinary tippet; with the circle hook in the corner of the fishes' mouth, the leader often stays intact. Of course, if the fish changes direction or flops on its side, it's goodbye fly. Either way, unhooking a blue with a barbless circle is a snap.

skunkedalot

Reaction score
could not agree- more- Blues are my favorite salt fish to chase too, they run, jump, tail walk and abuse our tackle. what is there not to love.
Eating?- well, as the old joke says- cook them in aluminum foil and when done, throw away the fish and eat the foil.
actually- young tailor size blues are not that bad if you bleed them right away and get them on ice.
i chase blues from my yak- they give you quite a sleigh ride when hooked up. cant wait for them to show up.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
could not agree- more- Blues are my favorite salt fish to chase too, they run, jump, tail walk and abuse our tackle. what is there not to love.
Eating?- well, as the old joke says- cook them in aluminum foil and when done, throw away the fish and eat the foil.
actually- young tailor size blues are not that bad if you bleed them right away and get them on ice.
i chase blues from my yak- they give you quite a sleigh ride when hooked up. cant wait for them to show up.
When I was a kid we used to catch the small ones (we called them snappers) and cook them immediately on a fire on the beach. They were very good.