Barbados bonefishing

Thomasrasmussen

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new in here, but already have benefitted alot from this forum.
I was guiding in Barbados for 4 years, so I thought I would be able to help out a few people, that would be heading that way. There isn't much info on Barbados anywhere on the net, so hopefully I can contribute a bit.

Tight lines!
Thomas

mr mike

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new in here, but already have benefitted alot from this forum.
I was guiding in Barbados for 4 years, so I thought I would be able to help out a few people, that would be heading that way. There isn't much info on Barbados anywhere on the net, so hopefully I can contribute a bit.

Tight lines!
Thomas
thanks for the offer.
Bonefish, so it is traditional flats fishing?
Wading options or is it all skiff?
Any options for DIY or is a guide (and a boat) essential?
Any fishing specific lodges or more general purpose with independent guides?
What's the most expensive place to stay on the island (my wife will figure it out anyway, so I may as well save her the legwork)?
Are there direct flights to the island from the continental US?

Thomasrasmussen

Reaction score
Hello Mr Mike,

It's all pure wadable fishing on a reef/flat near the beach. The interesting part is, that it's only big bones that roam there. Never caught a smaller bone than 3 lb. The average is 4-6 and 8+ is common.

There are plenty of accomodation depending on the time of year, but south coast is where the magic is happening.
There are no guides available, but if you are going write me on my email thomasrunerasmussen@gmail.com and we will take it from there.

Best,
Thomas

Thomasrasmussen

Reaction score
It is classic flats fishing in knee deep water after singles and doubles. The interesting part is, that it is only big bones that roam these locations. In my 4 years, I have never caught a bone under 3lb. The average is 4-6 and plenty of 8+.
There are no guides in Barbados, that caters for flyfishing and all boats there will take you out to troll for offshore species.
The thing is, that flyfishing in Barbados never really established. The local population never flyfish, there are no flyrelated material to be purchased, nevertheless there are great potential regarding bones, trevally, jack's and permit.
It is very difficult fishing, and you will most likely only have one shot at a fish but with the variation of reef and flat you will always find a good spot, when stealth, position and a good cast all comes into place, you will find your self with a big bone.

Regarding accomodation, write me on thomasrunerasmussen@gmail.com for a few ideas.

Thomas

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Why not post up a trip report and some photos to give a feel for what a trip down there might be like? I’ve caught bones in the Keys wading flats and it’s a unique experience. I bet you’ve got some GREAT photos and stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomasrasmussen

Reaction score
Here is a trip report I did half year ago on two guys that were fishing Barbados for some mornings. It was not an ideal week, but hopefully shows a bit, what fishing is like there.

"I had two guys fishing a week each the past 2 weeks. This is more or less what they experienced. Quite difficult strong winds has been roaming Barbados, so it made the fish spooky and scarse. In average, the saw around 15 fish per day, where they had a good shot at 10 of them. They didnt really fish the best part, since the winds were that strong.

In average they got 2 bones per day, but with two blank days(the first day, often comes out blank, for people who is not yet familiar with the flat), but also with a perfect day with 7bones landed (4-7lb). Their tippet was 12lb, since they didnt fish the section, where the really big bones are 12 is fine, if fishing the section, i would change to 16 lb.

It has been unusual windy for this time of year, but as we speak, it is getting back to normal (which is still a constant good wind). It is all about adjusting to the wind and use it to your advantage.

So not a spectacular couple of weeks, but still producing fish. I expect great fishing the next month. Conditions will be back to normal, and usually plenty of sunshine.

Again the Peterson spawning shrimp did the job most of the time."