Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What type of line and flies do you use for striped bass?

I gave Steve Culton some of his first saltwater flies and I don't remember even getting a 'thanks'

I've fly fished the salt since the late '70s.
    At first with a fiberglass 6wt. cuz that's what I had, but most often with an 8wt rod and a 9wt floating line. Even in the surf.
    With a floating line you can mend, which is the single most important advantage that a fly fisher has over so called 'conventional" fishing
    Most folks use an intermediate and that's actually preferable if all you're going to do is cast and strip, but if you want to use your fly rod as intended (mending and dead drifting) stick with the floating line.

As for flies, if all you have is a 1/0 yellow over white deceiver, that's going to be all you need 90% of the time
    There's are times when you need to "match the hatch" but that's actually pretty rare.
    One year just for an experiment, that's all I used until fall when I switched to a white Tabory snake fly and I did just fine.
    I actually like to be prepared to cover the 'levels'. Surface, med-level and bottom. So throw in a couple of Clousers and top water flies as well.

009.jpg
    Last edited by Rip Tide; 06-18-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12