St Croix Legend Elite 12wt for Tarpon?

Millpond

Reaction score
Hey guys - anybody out there had some experience with St Croix's Legend Elite 12wt? I'm looking at getting one (with the fighting grip) for big Tarpon in Costa Rica. I understand that the fishery is not a sight casting deal but rather blind casting fast sinking lines to deeper fish - will this stick hold up?

axle27

Reaction score
I've never casted that rod, but I will say that St. Croix is very reputable. It will come down to being able to cast it effectively. Is it too fast or too slow for your casting style? Get onto some local water and let her rip. You'll know in a bit.

If you are going after the big boys, you should consider a backup also. A Redington predator would do nicely, if you can find an older model with the blue blank.

Millpond

Reaction score
I've never casted that rod, but I will say that St. Croix is very reputable. It will come down to being able to cast it effectively. Is it too fast or too slow for your casting style? Get onto some local water and let her rip. You'll know in a bit.

If you are going after the big boys, you should consider a backup also. A Redington predator would do nicely, if you can find an older model with the blue blank.
Thanks for the feedback. I have other St Croix rods (much lighter rods) which I adore and I have 2 other 12wt backups but this ESW9012.4.FG model just spoke to me on the rod rack :) You're quite right that I'd need to cast it to be sure but was hoping to get some feedback from owners that have put this rod through its paces out on the water.

bonefish41

Reaction score
Their latest has all the "whistles and bells and voodoo" resin/nano etc of Hardy's latest but St. C explains it more clearly than Hardy's mystery marketing language. It was their Blue salt color that spoke to you? IMHO...You don't need to test cast any 12wt just have two or three different 12 wt lines and maybe a 13 ...since your blind casting ...just the thought of blind casting and my aged shoulders hurt...what's going to get your fly out farthest with minimum strokes...shorter head quicker load or longer tarpon head one up a 13...I tried my Method 11 wt with Sci A 11 wt Tarpon and 12 wt Tarpon...the latter really made a quick cast easy with one full stroke cycle and 60 feet ...now I'm site fishing KW not blind casting CR. Is it still intermediate or sinking tip blind casting in deeper water ...or floating to rolling fish and guessing where they went?