Tarpon rod and reel

Tnblackdog

Reaction score
I am looking for a good tarpon rod and reel for 1000 to 1500 dollars.I would like to keep it around a 1000 if I can.I would like a 12w

axle27

Reaction score
Find a good Redington Predator. They are out there, but they are few and far between. The reel is what is going to cost you...the drag should be sealed.

jr spey

Reaction score
I disagree. Unless fishing for tarpon on foot or a kayak or something, there really is no reason your drag needs to be sealed. Tarpon have been caught at least since the early 1950's with good quality cork drags that are not sealed and will continue to do so for many more years. If you look used, you could get a terrific recent Sage tarpon rod with an Abel or Tibor reel for around $1000.00. Actually, probably less than that. Of course, lots of other brands will work as well, but my point is if you can get Sage and Abel/Tibor at that price you can probably do even better with a used Loomis/Winston/Scott or other reels like Hatch and Nautilus. I've done a ton of tarpon fishing the last thirty years and gave up on 12 weights about a decade ago. Depending upon where you're going to fish and when, a good strong ten can do a lot for you and a good strong eleven can do everything else.

steveid

Reaction score
Just saw a clearance Abel Super 12 for $600. Couple that with a Sage of your choice and you’re right at the top of your budget. I have a Salt HD 1291. I was in the market for a 12 right after Sage released the Salt HD, so I went for it. I haven’t cast many 12 weights, but I like what I have and it will likely be my 12 weight for a long, long time.

I paired it with a Hatch reel. Hatch, Ross, Abel would all make great reels. The Ross Evo Salt might be a bit light to balance a 12. Hard to beat a clearance Abel.

Tnblackdog

Reaction score
I went to orvis today and casted the helo3d with the mirage reel.Does anyone have any experience with them tarpon fishing?

bonefish41

Reaction score
Sure those would work...as well as those mentioned previously. A 12 ain't your delicate stick. I dropped from 12 RPLX, Xi3 to a 11 Method...my Tarpon venues are the middle and lower Keys and 90% of the fish fished are 40 to 90 and the 11 wt will work also I use the 11 for Permit when the wind is 20 plus. The Mirage V USA reel in 4.5 spool diameter would be my choice ...my second would be the IV at 4.25 diameter. You might get the Orvis to price you a package for rod reel line...thou were it me I'd buy the Abel Super 12 closeout for 600 mentioned above but I fish Abel and Sage. The fun of Tarpon are feeding, jumps, and couple of long runs then run up touch leader and pop then off. If you're buffed up, got a defined "V" in your triceps, vascular definition, and high muscular definition then you might want to go the distance for the guide's jaw grab and you jump in for the water revival and not being tired go for another but for me in my late 70ies and even in my 50ies going the distance on a couple of 90 plus fish meant a sit down and watch the guide fish...the rush is the jump on the flat in two to four feet of water...the waste of time and energy is a deep channel...you're amberjack fishing with a 16 or 20 lb tippet

tomilg

Reaction score
Check out eBay, there are always Sage Xi2's and Xi3's in 11-12 weight up for auction, in great condition going for $300-$400 and pair that with an Abel Tibor, Hatch, or Nautilus and you're still under budget.

JasonTX

Reaction score
With that budget you can get a really nice outfit. I have an H2 12wt with a Mirage VI and I’ve caught god only knows how many tuna behind shrimp boats here in TX as well as a bunch of tarpon on it. Love the rod. I’m sure the H3 and US made Mirage could be an improvement, but I haven’t cast it. As someone said, a 12 is not delicate, so any quality rod will catch fish. I saw that someone is selling a Mirage VI in the classifieds.

trout frenzy

Reaction score
Just getting ready for my first tarpon trip... with 2 TFO TiCrX #10 and #12... paired with Orvis Hydros SL IV and V... kind of budget choice, but I hope they will do the job...
Your advices (?)

bonefish41

Reaction score
Assuming 16-20 lb tippet and flats depth and about 3-4lb fixed drag the rest with your palm on the rim...they will work...no high stick

JasonTX

Reaction score
Just getting ready for my first tarpon trip... with 2 TFO TiCrX #10 and #12... paired with Orvis Hydros SL IV and V... kind of budget choice, but I hope they will do the job...
Your advices (?)
The drags on those Hydros SL’s are impressive, and the rod choices are good. You’ll be just fine with those set ups!

trout frenzy

Reaction score
The drags on those Hydros SL’s are impressive, and the rod choices are good. You’ll be just fine with those set ups!
Thanks for your help, Jason TX
Makes me feel more confident.
But my main worry is about the reels line capacity (?)
I think I’m going to open a thread on this case. In order to choose from Dacron, Gel Spun and Braided Line for backing (???)
Any advices ?

JasonTX

Reaction score
Where you are fishing is a factor here. How deep is the water? In my case I use the same reels offshore for pelagics that I do for tarpon nearshore/inshore. I use gel spun on those reels just in case a yellowfin shows up with the smaller blackfin tuna. My advice is not to stress too much about it. You have great stopping power with those drags, so if it were me I’d just put on 35lb gelspun and go fish!

jrod88

Reaction score
Like JasonTX said, the Hydros is a great reel and with gel spun or braid, you can get a comfortable amount of backing. I loaded my Hydros SL V with braid for tarpon and if the opportunity came, mahi mahi, Mackerel, or smaller billfish.

del gue

Reaction score
I've been watching a thread on another forum where a guy is catching snook, bonefish, and baby tarpon using a $39 Maxcatch ultralight 6' 1 wt rod, a Piscifun Sword 2 reel, and $12 Maxcatch fly line. He is doing pretty good with a low-budget, ad-hoc outfit. Makes me smile every time he posts new pictures.

AnglerX

Reaction score
I agree with many others here. I turned away from 12 wt and started using 9 and 11wts years ago. I’m a huge fan of the 11 for tarpon. Years ago there was a great video on YouTube of a guy landing a 110 lb tarpon on an 8wt. It was impressive and didn’t wear out the fish.

gormaci

Reaction score
as for the rods on budget- not only!- it is hard to beat Axiom2 by TFO.
I never used TFO reels so I have no opinion but I like the look and price of Atol. If their reels as as good as rods, I would consider Atol or Power...(?)
I use Abels, Nautilus, Hatch and such and they are all fine. I like Nautilus CCFX2- best bang for a buck on US made solid reel in my opinion.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm being conservative but so are others above. If we're talking a trout rod we could have lengthy discussions about action, length, weight and more but we are talking tarpon. To me that means a Sage or Loomis rod of #11 or 12. On a budget I'd look for an Xi3 or CrossCurrent GLX and a cork draw-bar reel like Abel Super, Tibor or Islander. I'd use 80# gelspun backing and a high end RIO tarpon line...you don't want to save $ on line and leader. If not on a budget, I'd recommend a Sage SALT HD or Loomis NRX and an Abel SDS. Other rods like T&T's Exocett maybe the new H3 could be fine too but I've seen a lot of broken tarpon rods but never a Sage or Loomis. My old Diamondback Stu Apte #12 is great too but you can't have it.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
gormaci, I'd pass on the A2 I think but Atoll is a very good reel. I've used one bonefishing happily and suspect it would be a good tarpon reel, not as good as CCFX2 perhaps but good. Allen Atlas and Cheeky Limitless and I'm looking forward to Taylor Revolution Z too are all modest priced but well designed and built reels. Certain species of fish, tarpon, tuna, trevally can do thing to reels that other fish can not though.