Fishing from the shore Chesapeake Bay Annapolis area

mike126

Reaction score
Years ago I use to fish Thomas Point State Park and wade in the protected area. I’d like to get back out on the bay but don’t have access to a boat. Any suggestions on where to fish that has public access? Is Sandy Point any good?

Thomas Point State Park use to be restricted to MD residents for access passes. Is that still the case? I’m a VA resident.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Mike, I grew up near Annapolis, in Severna Park and lived much of my adult life in Arnold. Public shore access is limited in that area. Sandy Point is one of those places where you can fly fish, but you could fish there often with little success. I used to do some bait fishing there, and caught some fish, and had poor results with fly tackle. It's not to say, you will have poor results, but no guarantee's you'll do well. You could also try Jonas Green Park, which is at the bridge where RT 450 crosses the Severn to Annapolis. Again, another place where flinging flies is not the best approach, but possible to have some success. I've caught perch, Pickerel, and small Stripers there. Most of the fishing I did was on the Eastern Shore, and I fished from a boat the majority of the time. You could also try the Patuxent River. Which is a short drive from Annapolis. I used to fish at Governor's Bridge fairly often and that was shore and some wade fishing. Not an easy place to fish because of tree's and other vegetation, but fly fishing there is doable. If the waters clear enough, wading some places is possible, but be very careful. There's a lot of submerged snags and mud on the bottom. It's very easy to get tripped up and fall. However, with all the rain that the area has endured recently, I suspect that most of the rivers there are very high & muddy so will be very dangerous to attempt to fish. Can't help you with Thomas Point, just do not know the answer to your question. I used to travel across the bay bridge and fish Wye Pond with fly gear. There's a earthen dam and spillway, and I caught plenty of fish, although most were small panfish. The occasional bass or Pickerel made it interesting. I used a 6 wt or lighter rod there most of the time or ultra light spinning tackle. The rest of the time, I fished in the Dorchester Co area waters, and that was best from a boat of some type.

mike126

Reaction score
Thanks bigjim. I’ll take a look at Jonas park.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
You're welcome! You wouldn't happen to be in the military would you? If so, used to be military folks could get access to the river at the Naval Academy. There's a wall at one of the athletic fields and I know folks in the past who have done well there. I've fished along there by boat, but even that has limits because it's the Naval Academy property. I grew up with a fellow who fished there often with his father, who had retired from the military and had access. Of course, 9/11 changed a lot of things, but might be worth looking into if you're active duty.

mike126

Reaction score
No I’m not in the military. I know where you are talking about. I use to sail out of Annapolis and we spent a lot of time off the academy.