Dacron, Gel Spun, Braided Line for backing???

trout frenzy

Reaction score
I’m going for a Tarpon trip soon.
I’ve got 2 Orvis Hydros SL reels IV and V.
The line capacity of those reels isn’t that great...
I need some help and advices in order to choose from Dacron, to Gel Spun, or Braided Line, for the biggest backing capacity.
Is the Gel Spun and Braided line same or similar products?
Thanks in advance for your help.

karstopo

Reaction score
You can put a whole lot of something like power pro or Sufix 832 braided line on a fly reel. I really don't know how much I have on my Nautilus X XL Max, but it's a lot. I had a jack run off all of the fly line until it was well out of sight, I'm guessing 125-150 meters into the backing, and I still had plenty of backing on the reel. The braided lines like Power pro and the Sufix will cut you so there's that, but they are way smaller in diameter than any Dacron I've ever seen per equal pound test.

832 Advanced Superline | Sufix Fishing Lines | Sufix International

camelbrass

Reaction score
Gel spun and braid is the same thing. It’s much thinner than Dacron for the same breaking strain so it either lets you pack more or stronger backing onto a reel or a combination of both. The downside is that if you grab hold of it as a fish is running without gloves it cuts. I use braid, just don’t grab hold of it.

Some will say you don’t need 200 meters of backing and I get that. My answer is ‘you just haven’t hooked the right fish yet’

Regards,

Trevor

trout frenzy

Reaction score
My problem with the Orvis Hydros SL IV, spooled with the Airflo Chard’s Tropical Punch 10wt, the reel can hold only +/- 100yds of 30lbs Dacron backing...
Looks a bit short to me !

steveid

Reaction score
I've been using the Hatch backing on all of my saltwater reels. Good stuff, knots nicely as well.

bonefish41

Reaction score
The current meaning of braid is the micro fibre consisting of poly ethylene such as 3M Spectra or Dutch Dyneema...obviously dacron is a braid like nylon and linen before it. It is very thin compared. I have used it for ten years or more on both fly reels and conventional reels. I do not use any test lighter than 50 for fly reel backing usually 65. As I have posted before most of my fly line backing comes from my conventional reels when I change out. Recently I purchased a new salt conventional reel a Seigler LGN for the Baja and I have spooled it with Daiwa's J-Braid 4 65. This is Japanese manufactured Dyneema and it's available for $17.00 for 300 yards...for backing you don't need all the whistles and bells required for conventional casting...also you are not using heavy drag settings...it's for capacity ...I'd suggest Daiwa's J Braid 4 Japanese , Power pro basic only USA not Chinese counterfeit, or Tuff Line USA in 50 or 65 usually the terminally ugly dark green color is the color on sale. BUT wear a glove that covers the all of the fingers particularly the little which usually lays the line on the reel in retrieve. I only use this glove on my rod hand...thin braid finds the joint seam in your finger...this is a kevlar glove liner it's thin, inexpensive, and available online industrial gloves or at Graingerglove.jpg

If you are skiff fishing with guide or friend on flats, you want to fight the fish on the fly line so if it has 150 out and going away crank up and run it down to the fly line...I put 200 to 300 backing to be safe...with the guides I use 200 is enough but I prefer maximum remaining line on spool for quickest take up i.e. circumference. IMHO for salt use Spectra/Dyneema AND don't touch the braid under tension and movement with naked fingers.

steveid

Reaction score
Thanks Steveid, but Hatch have Braided backing, and Dacron backing as well.
Oops! Yes, they do. I use their 68lb braid backing. I do use their Dacron in freshwater reels.

Personally, I don’t want to use 20lb Dacron ever again. The reels that I’ll use 20lb on don’t need much backing, and chances of ever seeing it are slim. The only reel I’ll put 30lb backing on would be for a Spey rod.

jrod88

Reaction score
My 11wt setup is Hydros SL V, 300m Suffix 832 65 lb, and Orvis Ignitor 11wt.

I'm guessing 65 if I remember correctly, could be 50lb, either way its plenty strong.

Also on my 8wt Mirage, I have Suffix 832. Fit a whole 300m spool with the 8wt Ignitor line. Not a plug for Suffix 832, but I also have 6lb on my Stella 1000 and 8lb on my Stradic Ci4+ 1000. It's just a line I've had great luck with.

Last edited:

trout frenzy

Reaction score
Thanks a lot to all of you for your help.
I’ll go for the Braided Line !
Best brands??? 4 or 8 strength???

In fact, the fly line I choose for the Orvis SL IV is the Airflo Chard’s tropical punch in 10wt... The running from this line is very thick!!! It cast amazingly well, but compared to the Rio Tarpon 10wt, I can add much more backing with the Rio.

camelbrass

Reaction score
Stick to the 50-60lb 8 strand, it’s not as rough feeling as the 4. No need to go overboard price wise, Jerry Brown or Power Pro does fine. I use the solid, not the hollow for various reasons but the hollow does allow you to splice loops or top the backing up without using knots.

Regards,

Trevor

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
And I've been using the 60# Cortland which is a tad thicker than 20# Micron. It's fairly smooth, knots well and, folks have overlooked that it is more abrasion resistant than Dacron too. But, as camelbrass suggested, don't grab it while your fish is running. (Why would one do that?)

jrod88

Reaction score
Definitely 8 strand, it holds its shape better on the spool. I prefer Suffix 832, but had good luck with Daiwa J-Braid and it's cheaper too.

JasonTX

Reaction score
Suffix 832 is great stuff. It has a slicker surface than standard power pro and comes in white (if that matters to you). I have it on my vertical jigging outfits.

I still use gel spun on my fly tackle. IMO I just don’t need the breaking strength on a fly rod that I do on a jigging rod thats made for that kind of strain. I’ve landed a ton of tuna, cobia and tarpon on 35# gel spun without a break off.

jrod88

Reaction score
JasonTX, I don't rely on its strength so much as I do the thinner diameter. I have a section of 30lb or 16lb built into my leader that will break way before I have to worry about the backing.

It was actually the manager of an Orvis that gave me the braid idea so that I could get enough backing on the Hydros with 11wt line as I was coming to Cuba without any prior knowledge and wanted a cushion if I started to get spooled.

wjc

Reaction score
Trevor (Camelbrass),

I'm curious about the "other reasons" why you prefer sold backing to hollow? You fish different conditions than I, but do you find that the solid holds up better than hollow when trevale dive off the edge of the reef? Or what is the difference from your perspective between hollow and solid?

Thanks,
Jim

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
Dear oh Dear,this subject must surely be the oldest chestnut on the Forum,so at the risk of reiteration...1)don't use Dacron for backing on a salt water reel. 2)use at least 50lb.braid as it's easier to handle and knot. 3)Any self-respecting salt water fly reel should hold 300 yards of the aforementioned braid plus your fly line(Airflo lines can be the exception as they're often thicker).I use 50lb.Yellow TufLine XP (.331mm.)in 300 yard spools and get it from a reliable Ebay supplier in Vietnam (shimreels)for $29USD shipped.I also use 68lb.Hatch on my GT reel and 50lb.Fins Evolve (.279mm.) on a couple of others.Wind and lay the braid evenly and extra tight on the spool by hand using a leather gardening glove.Then make your own braided loop connections using 50lb.Gudebrod if you can get some.

camelbrass

Reaction score
Trevor (Camelbrass),

I'm curious about the "other reasons" why you prefer sold backing to hollow? You fish different conditions than I, but do you find that the solid holds up better than hollow when trevale dive off the edge of the reef? Or what is the difference from your perspective between hollow and solid?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim,

The hollow is great because you can splice loops into it and top the backing up seamlessly. However, it packs flatter in profile than the solid (more like a blade of grass than a strand of spaghetti if you get what I mean) and is more prone to bury itself into the rest of the backing under pressure or even bury itself down the side of the spool more easily than the solid on a big fish.

Regards,

Trevor