Florida Keys This February!!!

zhaddock

Reaction score
Pretty excited! Headed down to the keys the first weekend in February next year. I'll have All day Friday to DIY and then on Saturday I have a guide booked for the whole day. Best part is I had miles and points for everything so the only cost will be food, beer, the guide and his tip!

bonefish41

Reaction score
Are the first week date an absolute..'cause if you catch a February warm up it's nirvana and but if not a winter it's ...

zhaddock

Reaction score
Feeling better about my casting. I've always had a hard time with distance casting but today it started to come together. Got out today with my 8wt, 10' leader and a heavy clouser and was able to get out to 100' +/- with 2-3 false cast. Plenty of time to tune it all up before February but damn that got me excited even more. Love how you know it's going to be a good cast just by the feel before you shoot the line.

zhaddock

Reaction score
That sounds awesome. I really enjoyed my limited time there and I've always wanted to go back. Enjoy the trip and take lots of pics.

And dont underestimate the cost of that beer:D

kev
Yeah, funny thing about the cost of beer is if you had a great day the cost of beer will be high. If you had a bad day the cost of beer will be high. It's a lose lose.......or is it a win win!?

bonefish41

Reaction score
Z: Suggestions 1/ open park/field in the wind 10-15 practice casting 360 NSEW; 2/ If you can try same thing or close to it on a pond or lake. Take a black marker and do a measured mark on the flyline 50 feet, 60 feet, and 70 feet. From October to July there's a 90% chance you will have at least 10 in the Keys and definitely 10 or more in the lower Keys. Practice casting in windy conditions...in the 30 years or so that I have flats fished the lower Keys usually Key West about an average of 8 or 9 days a year...less than 10 days wind below 10 kts and the usual is 10-15 kts but there are days 15-20 kts...what do you do if you are like me a Yankee who has planned the trip sit in the bar or fish if the wind is up...we go fishing wind be damned and if only we were like those flyfishing dilettantes we read, see, and here about those great adventures in perfect weather or those who luxuriate in a Keys condo for months and fish optimally. They choose the optimal days...we go flyfishing on the flats when our few days and window of opportunity are open... when the wind is up, when broken clouds obscure, and then when we go the moon phase and tide are wrong...we go flyfishing. My last February trip to KW was outstanding everything lined up...wind 10-15, clear air, clear water and fish...used a 9wt for Bonefish and 10 wt for Permit. I love February in the lower Keys...chancy for fronts but not the whole month...

sab_0010

Reaction score
Awesome! I might be down there in November for a couple of days, and if it works out i'll definitely be booking a guide for a day of fishing. I need to start reading up on what I can expect that time of the year.