DIY Flats destinations on kind of Budget

trout frenzy

Reaction score
I’m looking for a DIY flats destination
- What ever species of fish
- No boat
- No guide
- Be on my own in a fully equipped flat or cabine
Just need a serious break!!! What’s better than fishing for recovery?...

deceiverbob

Reaction score
The flats around Bahia Honda State park in the keys are reachable without a boat. I don't know if the park has cabins available

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Also St. Joe Bay in northern Florida has miles of flats near the roadside. The State park on the west side of the bay has cabins. The flats behind the cabins offer good wading for redfish and speckled trout

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Jack's my hero

The Circus at the End of the World
The Great Bonefish Giveaway: Page 1

To be fair, I should note that we only fished Xcalak (it's pronounced ("Shka-lak") for four days, and that we pointedly ignored suggestions to hire a guide; on a Gartside expedition, one survives on one's own skills, going fishless if necessary. Hiring a guide is considered both decadent and an admission of failure — akin to having a pizza delivered while scaling Mount Everest.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I bought a display fly from Jack. he is my favorite fly tyer. Dick Talleur said that jack was a natural at fly tying and everybody else had to work at it. I used to run into Jack at the Stagecoach bar in West Yellowstone back in the early 80's. He was a real nice guy.

flyminded

Reaction score
What constitutes a kind of a budget ?

You can wet wade or kayak for Redfish for a nominal amount or rent a small house with kayak and do same for bonefish for the extra cost of a flight or air miles if you have them.

You can gamble on the weather, hurricanes, and go to the Caribbean, Belize or other tropical destinations this time of the year at a good price.

fossumsj

Reaction score
Aransas Pass, tx
Redfish, trout, flounder, black drum all available diy on a budget.
Flats for sightfishing great for kayaking and ok for walk-in.
(Good)kayaks available for rental and delivery to Light House Lakes & Brown Root Flats. Or buy a cheap kayak for <$200 at Walmart on arrival.
Plenty of camping from free to low cost. State, national parks are near. Info on where to fish is easily obtained.
Flats, jetty and surf fishing all within 45 minutes.
I fish there routinely: boat,kayak and walk-in
Scott F

gormaci

Reaction score
THANK you ALL who are willing to share.
I do not think DIY will overcrowd your spot but you giving us hope and saving us $$$.

(I am OK with supporting local guides when it is necessary, BTW. I pay. But I would like to have salt water fly fishing available not only to corporate menages. Teachers, social workers and others fish too..)

Once again thank you for sharing. Keep posting, please :)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
trout frenzy, I've been contemplating your request and, depending on where you live, what flats appropriate equipment you have and how much time and money you intend to invest, it can be done but not necessarily easily.

The first issue is in the United States or abroad and driving or flying. Wadeable flats are not exactly commonplace and many of the more productive ones involve boating and navigational knowledge. Also DIY in an unfamiliar habitat and local involves a steep learning curve hence the popularity of employing local guide.

My age and legs have had me go over to the dark side of staying in lodges and fishing from guided skiffs but when younger, a small group of friends and I did annual DIY bonefishing trips to the Bahamas. We would fly to Nassau then travel to lesser known, smaller Out Islands where we had arranged in advance to rent a house and simple boat. We would bring in Styrofoam cases of frozen meat and buy produce and fish locally. Each of us brought our own special knowledge and experiences to the group and one of us was a boating authority and all of us could cook, grill and mix drinks. We went places where there were no lodges and it was uncommon to see another fly fisher. We figured out tides, flats and channels on our own and explored...sometimes we would find fish and catch a few. We did this for 25 years and learned lot including self reliance.

Today, fishing out of lodges, guides take me places we would never have gone on our own, if we have a technical problem they get on the cell or radio...back when we were doing it ourselves, if we went to some of these remote flats up a creek and encountered a boat problem, maybe eventually some one would have found our bones.

Besides the Bahamas that I love and depending how much of an explorer you are, there are great opportunities in Mexico, Belize, Honduras an other Caribbean locals and the South Pacific and Indian Ocean offer unlimited all but unknown flats opportunities.

You can spend a lot or little money DIY fishing but one thing you have to have is abundant time.

trout frenzy

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, guys...
I agree with you regarding the positive side of a guided trip!
I’ve been guided so many times...
This time I just want to be on my OWN!..... Need a serious break! Kind of recovery... No services. Just be alone! Gone fishing!!!!!
Thanks again for your help.
I appreciate

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Where do you live and usually fish? It really sounds like a tent camp, trout trip might do. Going to a flats destination is so much more complex...unless that is your dream.

karstopo

Reaction score
Matagorda Island

Ivan’s Trip To Matagorda Island with Lessons Learned – The ACK Blog

Camping - Padre Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

Two possibles for a camping oriented flats trip, no passport required.

No experience with either. I have fished the nearby West Matagorda peninsula just above Matagorda island. The Matagorda peninsula is fantastic for the fly rodder. Lots of wadeable shallow lakes and bay shorelines with hard sand and submerged sea grasses and clear water. Plenty of redfish, Speckled trout, Black Drum and sheepshead to sight cast. Unfortunately, the land on the Matagorda peninsula is all private except the along the beach and there’s no access other than by boat or private airplane. There’s a lot of fishing cabins on the peninsula and the remains of a WWII Army Airbase where people fly into.

Padre Island NS is a place folks camp and at least parts of it encompass the Laguna Madre, another haven for fly fishing. I have zero experience with that area other than a brief trip to Port Mansfield decades ago.

zhaddock

Reaction score
I love Xcalak and it can be done on a budget. Lots of Permit and bonefish can be had walking in off the beach on the right tide.
A good buddy of mine that I went to college with lives and guides down in Xcalak. I really would like to get down there soon. I just built a new 9wt for him. This was his first catch with it.
IMG_0004.jpg

oldskewl808

Reaction score
A good buddy of mine that I went to college with lives and guides down in Xcalak. I really would like to get down there soon. I just built a new 9wt for him. This was his first catch with it.
View attachment 13745
I have fished with Jason in Mexico and he has fished with me in Hawaii. He’s good people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk