Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Indonesia Trip: Is worth it to haul my gear???

Unfortunately no. But I've a acquaintance who is a guide in that region. PNG Black Bass | Sport Fishing PNG| Papua New Guinea I know they have the same black bass in Indonesia.

2. Default Re: Indonesia Trip: Is worth it to haul my gear???

Quote Originally Posted by lookard View Post
    Unfortunately no. But I've a acquaintance who is a guide in that region. PNG Black Bass | Sport Fishing PNG| Papua New Guinea I know they have the same black bass in Indonesia.
    I won't be making it out that far. But for portions of my my trip I will be in central and west Java, and I'm sure there are some large, not overly polluted rivers to poke around in. Do you think he would mind me prodding him for info on Indo?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You can join the facebook group Eat Sleep Fish. He also has this page where he answers questions.

4. Default Re: Indonesia Trip: Is worth it to haul my gear???

Quote Originally Posted by lookard View Post
    You can join the facebook group Eat Sleep Fish. He also has this page where he answers questions.
    I got ahold of him. Turns out he is in... Bosnia. Will get back to me in near future with response.

I haul my stuff everywhere I go. I'd rather have it and not need it than wish I had brought it. Keep it simple. Fly box, rod, reel, line, leaders, and maybe flats boots. My stuff has been from the South Pacific, Indian Ocean, Africa, Europe, Middle East, and Greenland.

If you go through Japan they have length limits on stuff. They made me check my rod tubes at Narita. They're only 33" for a 4 piece. (I think that's the size) The Japanese security has a limit and it's in cm. Forget what it is. Nobody else has ever even said a word.

Singapore.. I had fun but didn't catch anything. Sure do wish a kayak was legal here.

Diego Garcia. Thar be bones in them waters!

Greenland. Had the rods. Not really a good place to throw a fly. Or go outside.

Ascension Island. Oh yeah! This place is fun.

ALWAYS TAKE YOUR STUFF!!!!!
    Last edited by fr8dog; 10-11-2018 at 06:06 PM.

6. Likes sweetandsalt, dirabalo, cab, mcnerney liked this post
  7. Default Re: Indonesia Trip: Is worth it to haul my gear???

Raja Ampat flats fishing in Indonesia. Action starts at 10 minute mark.

Hope this helps.

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  9. Default Re: Indonesia Trip: Is worth it to haul my gear???

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    I haul my stuff everywhere I go. I'd rather have it and not need it than wish I had brought it. Keep it simple. Fly box, rod, reel, line, leaders, and maybe flats boots. My stuff has been from the South Pacific, Indian Ocean, Africa, Europe, Middle East, and Greenland.

If you go through Japan they have length limits on stuff. They made me check my rod tubes at Narita. They're only 33" for a 4 piece. (I think that's the size) The Japanese security has a limit and it's in cm. Forget what it is. Nobody else has ever even said a word.

Singapore.. I had fun but didn't catch anything. Sure do wish a kayak was legal here.

Diego Garcia. Thar be bones in them waters!

Greenland. Had the rods. Not really a good place to throw a fly. Or go outside.

Ascension Island. Oh yeah! This place is fun.

ALWAYS TAKE YOUR STUFF!!!!!
    Thanks for the photos! Definitely going to be bringing the gear

10. Default Re: Indonesia Trip: Is worth it to haul my gear???

Quote Originally Posted by sc84petrol View Post
    Raja Ampat flats fishing in Indonesia. Action starts at 10 minute mark.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for link. Unfortunately we originally had Raja Ampat on the itinerary but got taken off and replaced with Labuhan Bajo.

Hello
    I've been there many times, (Labuhan bajo and Tulamben) dont speak for nusa ceningan.
    Fishing From the shore, the fish are usually small (1 to 2 kg), needlefish, grouper,barracuda,jacks and lot of different reef fish are in this water.

You need a 9 weight rod with floating line or floating with clear tip inter line. Why a 9 weight rod for 1 or 2 kg fish ??? the reef is usually very close and you have to fight the fish hard and immediately or the fish can be is lost around a coral head .

Very good reef shoes, suncream, sunglasses,hat,long sleeve t.shirt.

For the flies, white gurgler, chartreuse and white clouser and some deceivers tying on hook size 1/0 (gamagatsu sc 15) work well.
    Class tippet in 20 lbs.
    Let me know if you need more precise information.
    Regard

12. Likes dirabalo, mcnerney liked this post
  13. Default Re: Indonesia Trip: Is worth it to haul my gear???

Quote Originally Posted by piratkey View Post
    Hello
    I've been there many times, (Labuhan bajo and Tulamben) dont speak for nusa ceningan.
    Fishing From the shore, the fish are usually small (1 to 2 kg), needlefish, grouper,barracuda,jacks and lot of different reef fish are in this water.

You need a 9 weight rod with floating line or floating with clear tip inter line. Why a 9 weight rod for 1 or 2 kg fish ??? the reef is usually very close and you have to fight the fish hard and immediately or the fish can be is lost around a coral head .

Very good reef shoes, suncream, sunglasses,hat,long sleeve t.shirt.

For the flies, white gurgler, chartreuse and white clouser and some deceivers tying on hook size 1/0 (gamagatsu sc 15) work well.
    Class tippet in 20 lbs.
    Let me know if you need more precise information.
    Regard
    Thanks so much for the info! Do you know of any specific spots you think I should try?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast